[comp.sys.amiga] Aztec Vs. Lattice

Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org (Jim Priestle) (02/15/90)

Well, I can't really tell you which is better, but here's the story up to now.

    Lattice C comes out.
    Aztec C comes out a workd fairly well, actually!
    Aztec become favorite of the Amiga community, and so I buy one.
    Lattice brings out 5.0 and has a better product then Aztec (note: there
are of course several updates in here and Aztec is currently at 3.6)
    Lattice C becomes the de facto amiga standard for C.  (I have no idea why,
this is just what seems to have happened to me)
    Lattice C still has some bugs (up to 5.04 I think now, but is giving
upgrades for free)
    Aztec 5.0 is finally shipped (like, this week!)  (discussion on this
newest release will surely generate alot of messages in the next month)

    Well, that's this journalist view of the "C" war so far.  I hope it helps.
In closing, I'd like to say I think BOTH are good products, and the compition
between the two has only helped the amiga community through competive pricing
and reliablity concerns.  -jim-

Jim Priestle - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!Jim.Priestle
ARPA: Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org
-------------------------------------------------|
-------------------------------------------------|

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (02/17/90)

Writes:

>    Lattice C comes out.

At the time the ONLY C compiler....

>    Aztec C comes out a workd fairly well, actually!

Actually , the big thing was the 16 bit int speed advantage.

>    Aztec become favorite of the Amiga community, and so I buy one.

Depends on who you talked to , ALL ALONG there were many who stayed with
Lattice to avoid compatibility probs under Manx.

>    Lattice brings out 5.0 and has a better product then Aztec (note: there
>are of course several updates in here and Aztec is currently at 3.6)

True.

>    Lattice C becomes the de facto amiga standard for C.  (I have no idea why,
>this is just what seems to have happened to me)

You have this wrong, Lattice >ALWAYS WAS< the de-facto standard (and the
official one ???) -- Aztec was a necessary evil for speed.

>    Lattice C still has some bugs (up to 5.04 I think now, but is giving
>upgrades for free)

Actually , I always thought free upgrades were a GOOD point!

>    Aztec 5.0 is finally shipped (like, this week!)  (discussion on this
>newest release will surely generate alot of messages in the next month)

Hmm.. will it be bug free the first time?

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568