[comp.sys.amiga] Printing out DynaHAM pictures

okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay, S J) (02/13/90)

>Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
>
>>G'day,
>>my question amounts to "does DynaHAM use Amiga IFF graphics standards?"
>
>It really doesn't matter, because you can't do anything with the Dyna-Ham
>images! As far as I can tell, you can only make them and show them.
>
>Showing them takes over the entire machine so you can't even print them out.
>If anyone knows of any way to print out the Dyna-Ham images, I would appreciate
>them telling me.
[various other "looks great, but whats it good for" type stuff about E-HAM]

Sure....I got some of the EHAM IFFs off of a recent fishdisk and *had* to print
them out...24-bit pictures just look too good to relegate them to screen only.

So, I cranked up Digipaint 3.0 and loaded them in. At first I got the familiar
"zzz..." for a second and then nothing...the printer didn't even pretend to
start thinking about printing.

So, I saved them with Digipaint 3.0 under a different name,
and then loaded them back in. Voila'! ...about 5 minutes later I got the first
one done, and it looked pretty darn good too. Especially at density 6.

I have a NEC P5200 Color printer. I used the 'Pinwriter' driver from Prefs with
bounded borders, color correction off, density level 6.

I think the problem is that the program has to be able to interpret the chunks
in the IFF for it to be able to send something useful to the printer. I'm no
expert on the IFF format, but it would seem that there is a chunk or data item
in the EHAM pic that causes DP3 to barf on printing it out. Once its been saved
as a "true" IFF, there no problem.
(I didn't even notice a change in resolution, clarity or color between the 2, so
it thats what makes me think its a data structure type thing, otherwise, why
you be able to print out a 384x480 interlaced, overscanned, HAM image if it were
a matter of size/resolution?)

>--
>John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
>sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406
>Build something that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it.

---Steve
-------------
Stephen Okay
OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG   Technical Aide, The MITRE Corporation
					"Never let reality stand in the way
					 of a good media campaign"--MacWeek

Disclaimer:"Mine....mineminemineminemine!!!"

okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay, S J) writes:

>>Showing them takes over the entire machine so you can't even print them out.

>Sure....I got some of the EHAM IFFs off of a recent fishdisk and *had* to print
>them out...24-bit pictures just look too good to relegate them to screen only.

>So, I saved them with Digipaint 3.0 under a different name,
>and then loaded them back in. Voila'! ...about 5 minutes later I got the first
>one done, and it looked pretty darn good too. Especially at density 6.

I don't know if what you call EHAM and what I am calling DynaHam are the
same thing. I will assume it is so.

At the 320 x 200/400 resolution, DynaHam works more like Sliced-HAM
(it just recalculates the color registers every scan line), so I am
wondering if after you loaded in the EHAM picture, then saved it,
might it not have converted it back to a normal HAM picture? at
low resolution you would not have noticed the difference, except for
a bit of fringing in normal ham modem, since Normal HAM and DynaHam have
the same ammount of colors.

What you could try for me would be to print out a Hi-res DynaHam picture
(640 x 400 x 4096 colors).

Or am I mistaken and you *were* talking about printing out 640 X 400?

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406
Although the moon is smaller than the earth, it is farther away.

bms@world.std.com (Brian Sales) (02/17/90)

If you own Digi-View4.0 you can load a dynamic picture into there and print
it.  As far as I know, there is no other programs that support the format yet
so it isn't supprising if you can't find any other way to print them out.

				- Brian Sales