of the CMU Midi Toolkit.

   Date: Sun, 11 Feb 90 02:02:35 PST
   From: cimshop!cimshop3!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David Masterson suggests:

   How hard would it be to get Soundscape (probably with some of the extra
   modules) and play the MIDI files through the DX-7, capture the MIDI
   information using Soundscape and save it in DMCS format?

Not quite the scenario I'm looking for.  I haven't got an rs232/midi
converter yet (soon) and what I really wanted to do was have some of
my more talented friends sequence something with their synths and give
me the disk, allowing us to print it, play it back, edit it, etc. with
amiga/DMCS.

   Date: Mon, 12 Feb 90 10:01:43 PST
   From: atkins@manta.nosc.mil (Hugh T. Atkins)

   The "MACFUN" forum referred to is available on CompuServe. I don't think
   it can be accessed via internet. However, it is Macintosh forum so the
   programs there would likely do you little good on an Amiga. CompuServe
   does have Amiga forums from which you might get the help you need.

We're on the right track for question #2.  My hope is that EA used the
same file format for all DMCS products and that a binary image of the
Mac files could be ftp'ed and imported into amiga DMCS.  ...But is
this stuff archived somewhere on the internet?

   From: dandb@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Dean Rubine)
   Date: 12 Feb 90 18:39:06 GMT

   Someone else writes:
   >Now where can I find the amiga version???

       I just talked to Roger, and here's the scoop.  The original version
   was developed for PC's, and is still the only "official version", where
   official means, I gather, that the code does what the documentation says
   it does.   Also, there are several (unofficial) versions avaliable, here's
   the complete list:

   Machine	    Compiler		Person who did port

   IBM PC	    Lattice C		Roger Dannenberg (official version)
   IBM PC	    Microsoft C 5.0	Hal Mukaino
   Mac	            Light Speed		John Maloney
   Amiga	    Manx		Jean-Christophe Dhellemmes

      Sorry, no Atari ST version.  There are significant differences between
   each version.  I know there's a multi-tasking Amiga version; I THINK that's
   the one being distributed.

      To order, make out a check out to "Carnegie-Mellon University" for $20,
   and send it to

	   CMU-Midi Toolkit
	   Studio for Creative Inquiry
	   Carnegie Mellon University
	   Pittsburgh, PA 15213

      Specify which version (machine and compiler) you want.  The $20
   is just to cover CMU's cost for disks, copying documentation,
   mailing, etc.  The stuff is public domain, so feel free to
   distribute it freely.

	   Dean

   Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1990 19:46:11 EST
   From: Steven Abrams <abrams@division.cs.columbia.edu>

   According to Roger Dannenberg, the amiga version is available from
   g.gp.cs.cmu.edu for ftp -- look in the /usr/rdb/cmt/README first...

Sounds good, but anonymous ftp users are not granted read permission
on /usr/rdb/cmt/README at g.gp.cs.cmu.edu.  Perhaps there's another
host, or someone who will make this available???

   Date: Wed, 14 Feb 90 15:55:52 -0500
   From: cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen)

   > Also, I've seen a lot of DMCS scores from ucsd.edu which are said to
   > have been converted to midi file format from DMCS.  The reference says
   > they can from the "MACFUN" forum.  Does anyone know where to find the
   > original DMCS files?  Is "MACFUN" accessible via internet?  These
   > scores look very good!

   I recently bought DMCS and would be interested in knowing more
   precisely where to find the scores you mention.  For that matter, I'm
   interested in pointers to any sources of DMCS scores & instruments
-----------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   available on the Internet.

Me Toooo!!!  The scores that I have are ftp'able from ucsd.edu (login:
anonymous, password: your_login_name).  I think its in the midi/scores
or midi/dmcs subdirectory, but their all "*.mid" files, a format that I
cannot seem to read with any tools that I have.  Pointers, anyone?

   Date: Tue, 13 Feb 90 22:42:47 -0500
   From: carl radens <cradens@uceng.UC.EDU>

   >From larry@pyr1.acs.udel.EDU Wed Nov  9 14:14:10 1988
   Subject: YAMMO! - a DX7IIFD disk file manipulator

   (graciously submitted, uuencoded binary deleted - thanks Carl)
   Here's a uuencoded, arc'd copy of YAMMO!, the utility that lets you
   manipulate Yamaha DX7IIFD disk files on your MS-DOS computer that
   has 3.5", 720 K disk drives.  The author firmly states that the utilities
   are in the public domain, and people who sell software or patches are
   NOT to include any of this package with their stuff.

   Here's a short description of the utilities:

    Three utilities to help manipulate DX7II files on MS-DOS computers.

    yammo!    converts a DX7II formatted disk to be MS-DOS compatible.
	      Writes a new BPB block on logical sector 0 and then makes
	      all directory entries upper case and DOS digestable
	      (no '*', '?', etc. in file names).

    yd        shows all performances and voices within a CRT or INT file.
	      all voices include a hex checksum to identify dupes.

    ys        sorts a group of filenames (wildcards accepted) to be
	      DX7II compatible - filename.i01, filename.i02, etc.

    Utilities are placed in the public domain, and are not to be used for
    commercial gain.

   Date: Tue, 13 Feb 90 22:43:25 -0500
   From: carl radens <cradens@uceng.UC.EDU>

   (yet another uuencoded binary deleted :- )
   This uuencoded file below contains source and executable to take
   a blank initialized dx7ii patch bank (21k file) and splice-in
   two 4k binary 32 voice dx7 patch banks.

Nice utilities for IBM compatibles.  They may provide a circuitous
route to where I want to be, but only after involving several
different computers.  Do such packages exist for the amiga?

M. Scott Wills                    internet: mwills@rhino.ess.harris.com
Mail Stop 102-4858                    uucp: uunet!x102a!mwills
Harris Corporation                   phone: 407-729-3283
Government Aerospace Systems Div.     Bldg: 102 Room: 3426
P.O. Box 94000
Melbourne, FL 32902