[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 1000 in Computers in Physics

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (01/31/90)

Last night I was reading my most recent issue of Computers In Physics.
One of the feature articles was about tracking the blood flow in the retina
using a laser doppler velocimetry technique.  A second technique that was
used in a quantifiable subjective test was a comparison of stimulating the
subjects retina with blue light.  When stimulated, the subject will
perceive white dots seemingly in random motion.  The dots (this is only my
recollection of the article) are caused by white corpuscles moving through
the capillary structure and network of the retina.  The researchers quantified
this motion using an Amiga 1000 performing a realtime animation.

There was a column devoted to the explanation of the technique of animation
and measurement.  Essentially they used a TRIPLE buffered display of a two-
bitplane screen with blue as the background color and three shades of gray
to acheive the simulation of the white dots.  From the picture in the
article, the dots looked kinda like a flagelate protozoa.  Anyhow the
68000 computed the next screen to be drawn and operated on the just released
screen buffer.  The blitter operated on the second buffer prior to display,
and then the data was displayed.  (Again I may have this mixed up a bit.)

Those of us who are Amiga fans would appreciate the reasons for which the
A1000 was chosen.  1) it has a flexible display/animation capability
2) A primitive form of parallel processing (68000,Blitter,Display) seemlessly
allowed realtime adjustment of parameters governing the animation.
As the subject's retina was stimulated with the blue light, they were
asked to adjust a set of parameters which controlled the motion and
speed of the animation.  Once the animation was adjusted to look like what
they saw, the values were recorded.  Multiple trials were performed to
yield an average set of parameters for each subject.  They also performed
a control experiment where they were asked to match one animation to another
animation with known parameters.  The control experiment provided the
error margin.

It is nice to see the Amiga being used in research for problems that just
are not practical to attempt on the PC.  I know there have been many times
I wish that my lab had an Amiga controlling the equipment rather than a
PC.

--
 Bill Murphy                          murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu
Enjoying my Amiga 2000, but holding out for a real computer: The Amiga 3000!!

sassth@sas.UUCP (Steven Hand) (02/15/90)

Computer Graphics World (Feb. '90, p.87) has a very good article,
"Quakes Shake on the Amiga", which discusses using an Amiga in seismology
research to to produce animations of earthquakes.  These have been shown
on several network TV programs, including ABC's "Prime Time Live".
Quoting from the article:

 "For the 2D animations, Klein and Walter digitized into the Amiga a map of
 the California terrain using Digiview....This map served as a backdrop
 for their earthquake plots....

 The resulting animations resemble clusters of colorful, bursting bubbles.
 Each earthquake is first depicted as a filled circle for two frames
 (when the earthquake is at its strongest), then as an open circle for
 four frames (as the earthquake weakens and disappears).  The bubbles
 form "swarms" along the earthquake's fault lines and hot spots.  "You
 can see the time relationships a lot better," says Walter, comparing
 the animations to traditional paper plots of seismic activity."

They used an Amiga with 9 Meg of memory and Deluxe Paint III to do the
flipping between frames.  "The animations range from 10 seconds to
several minutes in length...."

Even more interesting, it talks about three-dimensional underground
plots of earthquakes, using spheres of various sizes and orientations
to show the earthquakes from below the surface!  It is too hard to
describe, but the article has a picture.  They use Videoscape 3D.
Quoting again:

 ...the 3D animation lets the viewer fly through what Klein calls
 "the little universe of objects."

This is the best example of "computer visualization" I've heard of.
Quoting again:

 "I think the beauty of this animation is to make something visible
 which ordinarily would not be visible -- because you can't look
 down and see earthquakes through the ground..."

Lastly, the article has good words for the Amiga.  Quoting again:

 Klein chose the Amiga for its animation capability.  It's "way ahead
 of what the Macintosh can do in terms of the speed of flipping through
 frames," he says.  And, he adds, "The cost of the machine is
 significantly less."

 I'm convinced it's useful," Walter says of the system.  "It made
 the earthquake a lot more real and the seismology a lot more
 understandable."

Not bad!  I recommend reading the article if you can get it; it discusses
other things, too.

/*---------------------All standard Disclaimers apply--------------------*/
/*----Working for but not officially representing SAS or Lattice Inc.----*/
/*----Steve Hand                    usenet: ...!mcnc!rti!sas!sassth------*/
/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

rknowles@garnet.berkeley.edu (02/18/90)

In article <3050@pur-phy> murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (William J. Murphy) writes:

>Last night I was reading my most recent issue of Computers In Physics.
>One of the feature articles was about tracking the blood flow in the retina
>using a laser doppler velocimetry technique.  A second technique that was
>used in a quantifiable subjective test was a comparison of stimulating the
>subjects retina with blue light.  When stimulated, the subject will
>perceive white dots seemingly in random motion.  The dots (this is only my
>recollection of the article) are caused by white corpuscles moving through
>the capillary structure and network of the retina.  The researchers quantified
>this motion using an Amiga 1000 performing a realtime animation.

I just saw this system at the Nonivasive Assessment of the Visual System
meeting at Lake Tahoe.   They had a 500 at the meeting.   What you see
when looking at the blue field is the white blood cells.   Three quantities
are varied, the number of cells, the flow speed, and the pulse rate.
Pulse rate is usually measured directly by a pulse detector hooked to the
ear lobe.  The amiga is synced to the heartbeat!  The subject then varies
the speed and number with two knobs until the Amiga graphic resembles what
they see in the blue-field entoscope.   Good repeatability, amazingly enough.