[comp.sys.amiga] Transactor back issues

hamilton@intersil.uucp (Fred Hamilton) (02/16/90)

In article <11226@baldrick.udel.EDU>, C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:

> If Andy Finkel wrote the article, maybe he'd be willing to make copies
> available.  On the other hand, he may have some sort of agreement with the
> Transactor, or he may still get money from back-issue sales.  I really don't
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's just too funny to pass up.  I ordered two Transactor back issues when I
subscribed over two years ago.  While my subscription slowly limped through
and expired, I never saw the back issues I paid for despite repeated requests.
--
Fred Hamilton                  Any views, comments, or ideas expressed here
Harris Semiconductor           are entirely my own.  Even good ones.

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (02/17/90)

In article <80.25dadd3b@intersil.uucp> hamilton@intersil.uucp (Fred Hamilton) writes:

>In article <11226@baldrick.udel.EDU>, C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
                                 [...]
>> Transactor, or he may still get money from back-issue sales.  I really don't
>                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>That's just too funny to pass up.  I ordered two Transactor back issues when I
>subscribed over two years ago.  While my subscription slowly limped through
>and expired, I never saw the back issues I paid for despite repeated requests.

Well, it looks like Transactor is pretty much belly up, which is sad for
two reasons; it was my favorite Amiga mag, and I haven't received an issue
of my unfulfilled subscription for about five months now :(.

On the subject of the back issues that Fred paid for and never received,
did you ever consider that the profit from backorders must be phenomenal
if you never have to mail any of them ;^).  So maybe Andy *did* make some
money from back-issue sales ;^).

I hope that the rumor about INFO acquiring Transactor turns out to be true,
maybe I'll get some satisfaction for my unfilled subscription (I like INFO
a lot too - but I'll have to wait and see how well they can incorporate the
technical content of Transactor).

--
--Steve
>a lot too - but I'll have to wait and see how well they can incorporate the
>technical content of Transactor).

The only asset that a magazine going belly up has is the mailing list
of its subscribers.  That's usually the only sellable thing that's left.
With that money usually major creditors are paid (like a printer shop).
Authors hardly ever receive anything.  It is unlikely that INFO has the
dow to automatically continue your 'lost' Transami subscription.  Magazines
that buy mailing lists of bankrupt companies will usually just offer you
a 'reduced' subscription to their own magazine.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (02/17/90)

In article <-1773786385@convex.convex.com>, swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren)
says:

>Well, it looks like Transactor is pretty much belly up, which is sad for
>two reasons; it was my favorite Amiga mag, and I haven't received an issue
>of my unfulfilled subscription for about five months now :(.

I won't claim that Transactor is going to survive, but they do seem to still
breath no and then.  Many people, including me, received an issue (V3#1, I
think) during the past month.

Since it's been five months for you, perhaps your subscription was a victem of
Transactors database crash.  I suggest you send them a short, polite note
saying that you are a subscriber, how many issues you think you still
deserve, your address, and best wishes.  Might not help, but then again....
>On the subject of the back issues that Fred paid for and never received,
>did you ever consider that the profit from backorders must be phenomenal
>if you never have to mail any of them ;^).  So maybe Andy *did* make some
>money from back-issue sales ;^).
>
>I hope that the rumor about INFO acquiring Transactor turns out to be true,
>maybe I'll get some satisfaction for my unfilled subscription (I like INFO
>a lot too - but I'll have to wait and see how well they can incorporate the
>technical content of Transactor).
>
>--
>--Steve
is in their bit-bucket or something...