[comp.sys.amiga] ATalk III--Questions

bill@wfhami.UUCP (Bill Hogsett) (02/18/90)

    I have just received an update to ATalk III, and am using the program
for the first time in several months.  (I have been using VLT and JRComm.)

    My question is whether there is a way from an AREXX macro started from
a shell--as opposed to from within Atalk--to direct Atalk to send (upload)
a file by passing in a variable which contains the filename.  Right now I
am doing something like this:

do j = 1 to i

address ATK
'wait "command"'
'reply "U" file.j "^M"'
'send' file.j
'wait "?"'
'reply comment.j "^M"

address

end

file. contains a list of files and comment. contains a list of comments.

    Any suggestions on how to do this?

    I also would very much like to be able to send multiple files by
selecting them from the filerequestor.  (This has nothing to do with my
AREXX question.)  Neither Atalk III or VLT allow more than one file to be
selected at a time for uploading.  JRComm does allow multiple selections,
which is probably why I had been using it.  Marco?

Bill Hogsett                      CLEVELAND AREA-AMIGA USERS' GROUP (CA-AUG)
ncoast!wfhami!bill                          (216) 292-4404 (BBS)
20876 Almar Drive
Shaker Heights, OH 44122 I get paid for my legal opinions, but
216-295-1624             I'd really rather talk about my Amiga.

In article <02790.AA02790@wfhami.UUCP> bill@wfhami.UUCP (Bill Hogsett) writes:
>    My question is whether there is a way from an AREXX macro started from
>a shell--as opposed to from within Atalk--to direct Atalk to send (upload)
>a file by passing in a variable which contains the filename.

The question has nothing to do with stating from the A-Talk Arexx menu or
from a shell. Use RX if you're using the CLI or the name of the .rexx
macro if you are using WShell.

> Right now I
>am doing something like this:
>
>do j = 1 to i
>
>address ATK
>'wait "command"'
>'reply "U" file.j "^M"'

I doubt this will be properly translated with just a double quote at
beginning and end.  To use quotes properly, you should use this technique:

MyString = '"'||"Hello^M"||'"'
'REPLY' MyString

[This is not really an A-Talk question but an Arexx question. Contact Bill
Hawes and not me for such questions in the future. Thanks]

>'send' file.j

what is file.j?  A variable? or a string?  If it is a variable it is not
initalized. If it is an actual filename then you should have had:

'send file.j'

if it is an initialized variable (NOT QUOTED), then your code is fine.

>'wait "?"'
>'reply comment.j "^M"

This is broken too. See above.

>address
>end

>file. contains a list of files and comment. contains a list of comments.
>
>    I also would very much like to be able to send multiple files by
>selecting them from the filerequestor.  (This has nothing to do with my
>AREXX question.)  Neither Atalk III or VLT allow more than one file to be
>selected at a time for uploading.

You can select multiple files with A-Talk III using wildcards (*?).

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman