[comp.sys.amiga] Any Utility to Check A Hard Disk?

In <27116@cup.portal.com>, Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) writes:
>Are there any utilities for the Amiga that will verify the integrity
>of the file system for an entire disk?  I need something that will
>at minimum attempt to read every part of my hard disk to verify that
>there are no bad sectors on the disk.

There are two different things you are asking for here. The first; verification
of the file system, right down to and including every single data block, can be
done easily with stuff you already have. The command:

COPY DH0: NILL: ALL

will cause every directory, subdirectory, and file to be read. Any hard errors
on the disk, that happen to lie within the file system, will cause a requester
or other form of error indication.

The second thing you are asking is if there is a utility to read all the blocks
on the drive. Because Amigados neither knows nor cares about anything ouside
its file system on a disk, the above method could leave a lot of magnetic
territory uncovered.  There have been a few utilities around to do a disk
check, and recently I wrote one myself.  I'll post it to sources and binaries.
It is quite fast, since it reads a cylinder at a time, and only narrows the
granularity down to blocks when it detects an error.  It will test both hard
drives and floppies, and tests all blocks on the disk.

-larry

--
Gallium Arsenide is the technology of the future;
  always has been, always will be.

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (02/20/90)

Are there any utilities for the Amiga that will verify the integrity
of the file system for an entire disk?  I need something that will
at minimum attempt to read every part of my hard disk to verify that
there are no bad sectors on the disk.

Thanks,
Will              (sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Will)