[comp.sys.amiga] Face it, the TransAmi is dead

jyegiguere@lion.waterloo.edu (Eric Giguere) (02/19/90)

[ I want to make it clear at the beginning that the following comments
  are not directed in any way at the editorial staff, who in my judgement
  have been shafted just like the rest of us. ]

I think we all might as well face the truth:  the Transactor for the Amiga
is dead.  If it ever starts publishing again, it simply won't be the same
magazine.

I got flak on the net for saying this the last time, and it seems I was
wrong at the time.  That was when a UK firm, Croftward Publishing, came
onto the scene and "rescued" the TransAmi from insolvency.  Today, though,
I wouldn't exactly call it a "rescue".  I think that they are to blame for
letting the TransAmi slide into oblivion a second time.  They had the
resources to do otherwise, but chose not to.  I don't know why.  But I do
know that not paying your authors and editorial staff either on time or at
all isn't a way to run a magazine.

So what is to be done?  Not much, as far as I can tell.  Croftward's
registered head office address is 85 West Wilmot Street Unit #10,
Richmond Hill, Ontario  L4B 1K7.  Of course they are no longer at this
address.  No phone numbers are available either.  Pestering the editorial
staff at their home addresses in Toronto is useless since they have no
input in the magazine's financial affairs.  I suspect they've all found
other jobs anyhow (I would).

If you're interested in getting your subscription money back, or at least
trying to get some kind of reaction out of Croftward, I suggest you write
them directly in England:

	 Ben Joseph Lewis, President
	 84 Greenlane Edgware,
	 Middlesex, London  HA8 70D   United Kingdom

	 Antony Harold Jacobson, Vice-President
	 39 Sylvester Road, London, N3    United Kingdom

These are the addresses that are on file with the Ministry of Consumer
and Commercial Relations of Ontario.  It'd be interesting to see if one
of the net readers in the UK could contact one of these guys and try
to get a straight answer out of them.

I'm really sorry about the demise of the TransAmi.  I think that any
computer, especially the Amiga, deserves a magazine of the TransAmi's former
quality.  I hope something else will take its place.

Eric Giguere                                  268 Phillip St #CL-46
C'est un nom francais, bien sur               Waterloo, Ontario  N2L 6G9
Bitnet  : GIGUERE at WATCSG                   (519) 746-6565
Internet: giguere@aries5.UWaterloo.ca         "Nothing but urges from HELL!!"

root@trlluna.trl.oz (System PRIVILEGED Account) (02/20/90)

> computer, especially the Amiga, deserves a magazine of the TransAmi's former
> quality.  I hope something else will take its place.

Actually, Transactor Amiga is still flowing out of the UK (there is an
Australian printing of it as well).
Still, this doesn't help with my Canadian subscription, which still has
a half dozen issues to go, and the missing V2 I2 :-(
From: aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan)

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	aduncan@rhea.trl.oz
		ARPA	aduncan%rhea.trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!rhea.trl.oz.au!aduncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

giguere@aries5.uucp (Eric Giguere) (02/21/90)

In article <1058@trlluna.trl.oz> root@trlluna.trl.oz (System PRIVILEGED Account) writes:
>> computer, especially the Amiga, deserves a magazine of the TransAmi's former
>Australian printing of it as well).
>Still, this doesn't help with my Canadian subscription, which still has

Yes, actually I should clarify this point:  the UK and Australian versions
of the TransAmi are actually separate organizations from the Canadian
version.  The Canadian version was the only one bought out by Croftward
Publishing.  The other two TransAmi's had arrangements to republish material
from the Canadian version and also included their own editorial touches
and material.  Please continue to support these two versions.