[comp.sys.amiga] Tell me about MOREROWS

jwhitman@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Jerry Whitman) (02/15/90)

This is probably going to sound like a pretty simple question, but then
some might say I am a simple minded fellow, so I guess it follows.

I have seen occasional messages concerning MOREROWS and how to execute it.
I understand it can give you an increased display area but what I do not
know is the functional value of this larger display area.  So here I go....

1.  How much can morerows increase the display?
2.  Is the size variable?  If so what are the upper and lower limits and
    how are they invoked?
3.  How does an application know the larger display is available?
4.  Can most existing application take advantage of it?
5.  Is it restricted to/prohibited from any of the existing display modes
    (320 x 200 ==>> 640 x 400)?
6.  What advantages can I gain using it with with output windows generated
    in Basic programs?
7.  What other 'Intuitively Obvious' points am I missing?

Anything you can tell me will be more than I currently know, so I thank
you for your consideration and response!

Respectfully, Jerry Whitman - Keeper of FishXref and FishCon.

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (02/16/90)

In article <9002142002.AA23351@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, jwhitman@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Jerry Whitman) writes:
> This is probably going to sound like a pretty simple question, but then
> some might say I am a simple minded fellow, so I guess it follows.
>
> I have seen occasional messages concerning MOREROWS and how to execute it.
> I understand it can give you an increased display area but what I do not
> know is the functional value of this larger display area.  So here I go....
>
> 1.  How much can morerows increase the display?
On a PAL:  noninterlaced workbench of 700x272
> 2.  Is the size variable?  If so what are the upper and lower limits and
>     how are they invoked?
Yes. 0-as above
> 3.  How does an application know the larger display is available?
Some open a resizeable window on WB. Some use the WB size to decide the size of
their window, some don't.
> 4.  Can most existing application take advantage of it?
More than half do. This will improve as things are written than can use the
extra screen folks with multisyncs have.
> 5.  Is it restricted to/prohibited from any of the existing display modes
>     (320 x 200 ==>> 640 x 400)?
hi-res 16 colour interlace tends to like 1mb agnus.
> 6.  What advantages can I gain using it with with output windows generated
>     in Basic programs?
No idea.
> 7.  What other 'Intuitively Obvious' points am I missing?
Multiplot specifically checks for its presence to let the poor NTSC ridden
people get a small taste of the delights of PAL :-)

bryant@uwav1.u.washington.edu (02/16/90)

In article <4989@wehi.dn.mu.oz>, BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
> In article <9002142002.AA23351@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, jwhitman@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Jerry Whitman) writes:
>> This is probably going to sound like a pretty simple question, but then
      I don't know if this is new news, but I have been able to bypass the
MOREROWS route entirely.  I write directly to the system-configuration file,
using NewZap, and change a couple bytes, and viola! a 684 x 484 screen.te it.
So, far it has been absolutely transparent to all the software I have used.
However, the change is wiped out if you move the screen gadget in Preferences.

-Jonathan Woolsey (bryant@milton.u.washington.edu)

robin@sabre.uucp (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (02/20/90)

In article <9002142002.AA23351@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> jwhitman@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Jerry Whitman) writes:
>This is probably going to sound like a pretty simple question, but then
>some might say I am a simple minded fellow, so I guess it follows.
>I have seen occasional messages concerning MOREROWS and how to execute it.
>I understand it can give you an increased display area but what I do not
>know is the functional value of this larger display area.  So here I go....

Yeah. And does it allow me to get morerows on my terminal package (VLT4.226)?
And does it work for the shell windows?

And most important, where do I get it???

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|USNail:                               UUCP:                                  |
|2323 Wells Branch Pkwy., #G107        cs.utexas.edu!romp!ibmchs!auschs\      |
|Austin, TX  78728                     !sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin            |
|Home: (512)251-6889                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<-MUST BE INCLUDED|

bryant@milton.acs.washington.edu (Jonathan Woolsey) (02/21/90)

I have used NewZap on my system-configuration file to give myself an expanded
screen.  After playing with a few values, I finally settled for a screen size
of 684 x 464.  So far, all software has worked great with this "hack"

-Jonathan Woolsey

Please E-mail me if you want more info on how to do this

(bryant@milton.u.washington.edu)

wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) (02/21/90)

In article <3143@cello.UUCP>, robin@sabre.uucp (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) writes:
> In article <9002142002.AA23351@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> jwhitman@STL-06SIMA.ARMY.MIL (Jerry Whitman) writes:
> >This is probably going to sound like a pretty simple question, but then
> >some might say I am a simple minded fellow, so I guess it follows.
> >I have seen occasional messages concerning MOREROWS and how to execute it.
> >I understand it can give you an increased display area but what I do not
> >know is the functional value of this larger display area.  So here I go....
>
> Yeah. And does it allow me to get morerows on my terminal package (VLT4.226)?
> And does it work for the shell windows?
>
> And most important, where do I get it???
***
I don't know where to find "morerows", but you can use "pprefs" from
Fish Disk 242 to set your non-interlaced standard screen from 640 x 200
to whatever size your monitor will handle.  Caution:  Some misbehaved
software may crash in this environment.

If you use W. Hawes' "ConMan" and specify something like con:0/0/700/250/,
that is definitely (well, I don't know your monitor) larger than your screen,
then the con: (= ConMan) window will open at full screen size.  If further,
you make it borderless and gadgetless, you can maximize the number of rows
and columns of text in your shell windows.  Finally, if you want one more
row (at the top), you can get rid of the title bar (except for those times
when the window is activated) by sending the proper escapes (check the
RKM) to con:. -- that is echoing them in the window.
William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA, Albany, NY 12222
wfh58@leah.albany.edu                wfh58@albnyvms.bitnet