[comp.sys.amiga] A-501 2 meg autoconfig?

bscott@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Ben M Scott) (02/20/90)

I've seen stuff about 1.8 and 2 meg expanders that fit in the Amiga 500's
A-501 slot.  Obviously, you'll need some connection to the motherboard (I'd
guess the Gary, since it's close) for the extra address lines.  However, I've
been asking hither and yon whether these cards are autoconfig; CAN they be,
is it possible to do this sort of a hack and still be autoconfig, and if so
do you know for sure which boards do this?  I only have 3 megs on my 500...
4.5 would be nice(r)...

Thanks for your time and thanks for the Amiga!

.                              <<<<Infinite K>>>>

p554mve@mpirbn.UUCP (Michael van Elst) (02/21/90)

In article <3308@pikes.Colorado.EDU> bscott@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Ben M Scott) writes:
>I've seen stuff about 1.8 and 2 meg expanders that fit in the Amiga 500's
>A-501 slot.  Obviously, you'll need some connection to the motherboard (I'd
>guess the Gary, since it's close) for the extra address lines.  However, I've
>been asking hither and yon whether these cards are autoconfig;

That's indeed possible (and done). Those expanders replace the orignal
512k ram expansion. The additional memory is placed in the so called
"ranger" memory space starting at address $c00000 (and of course as
additional CHIP RAM at $080000 if you have a big agnus).
Exec checks up to 1.8 meg, the following addresses are dedicated to
the battery backed clock and the custom chip registers.

Since this is on the chip memory bus its only "slow"-fast memory.

Michael van Elst
uunet!unido!mpirbn!p554mve