[comp.sys.amiga] Rumors...AMAX

In <8244@shlump.nac.dec.com>, owen@euclid.enet.dec.com (Steve Owen) writes:
>Yea, It really makes you wonder who the real pirates are, huh?  If these
>roms don't need to be bought, but just loaded into the amiga via software,
>then why the hell did the make us buy them?
>
>I heard about this 'crack' a while ago (shortly after Amax emerged) and was
>really furious that they would make us buy the hardware when it really seemed
>like a fairly easy thing to do for the makers of Amax.

I don't think there's much question about who the real pirates are.

The Amax folks, if they had supplied their package with the ROM contents on
disk, or provided a way to easily put them on disk, would have been in court
faster than you could say 'Wozniak', and without much chance of winning the
battle with Apple.

Supplying the hardware, and forcing the legitimate owners to purchase Apple
ROMs is the only way they can keep Apple from gettiung upset (Well, Apple might
even be upset, but there isn't much they can do about it, given the present
package).

-larry

--
Gallium Aresnide is the technology of the future;
  always has been, always will be.

jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) (02/09/90)

     I read in a recent article in "Amazing Computing" that someone
has actually cracked the AMAX software, is posting it on BBS's, and
the thing needs no hardware attachments. All of the ROM's are supposively
supposed to be 'simulated'. I'll post the exact details when I read the
article again.

-Steve M. Suhy

owen@euclid.enet.dec.com (Steve Owen) (02/09/90)

In article <22212@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes...

>     I read in a recent article in "Amazing Computing" that someone
>has actually cracked the AMAX software, is posting it on BBS's, and
>the thing needs no hardware attachments. All of the ROM's are supposively
>supposed to be 'simulated'. I'll post the exact details when I read the
>article again.
>
>-Steve M. Suhy

Yea, It really makes you wonder who the real pirates are, huh?  If these
roms don't need to be bought, but just loaded into the amiga via software,
then why the hell did the make us buy them?

I heard about this 'crack' a while ago (shortly after Amax emerged) and was
really furious that they would make us buy the hardware when it really seemed
like a fairly easy thing to do for the makers of Amax.

Steve

Steve Owen \ "Respond, Vibrate, Feedback  / owen@euclid.enet.dec.com  (Jan-Mar)
DEC         \    Resonate."-Neil Peart   /          or
Maynard, MA  \                          / sowen@lynx.northeastern.edu (May-Jul)
Bootleg collectors(U2,CuRE,REM,etc),send me mail! All normal disclaimers apply.

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (02/09/90)

steve> In article <22212@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes...

>     I read in a recent article in "Amazing Computing" that someone
>has actually cracked the AMAX software, is posting it on BBS's, and
>the thing needs no hardware attachments. All of the ROM's are supposively
>supposed to be 'simulated'. I'll post the exact details when I read the
>article again.

steve> I heard about this 'crack' a while ago (shortly after Amax emerged) and was
steve> really furious that they would make us buy the hardware when it really seemed
steve> like a fairly easy thing to do for the makers of Amax.

ReadySoft, the makers of AMAX, cannot legally provide you a copy of
the Apple ROM in any form.  If they did, Apple would have them shut
down faster than you can say "pull-down menu".  Apple owns the
copyrights to the code in their ROMs and protects it viciously.

Because the pirates who cracked AMAX are doing something illegal in
the first place, providing an illegal copy of the Apple ROMS isn't an
issue for them.

				--M
--
__  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
\/  portuesi@sgi.com	Entry Systems Division -- Engineering

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (02/10/90)

In article <8244@shlump.nac.dec.com>, owen@euclid.enet.dec.com (Steve Owen) writes:
> [...] It really makes you wonder who the real pirates are, huh?  If these
> roms don't need to be bought, but just loaded into the amiga via software,
> then why the hell did the make us buy them?

Maybe they simply didn't know how  to  do  it!   Developers  are  always
finding  new ways to make the computer fly, but you can't expect them to
do it right at the start.  Take the Atari 2600  machine.   Remember  the
first  programs for it, and then what Activision did with the interrupts
and the flip-memory cartridges?

> I heard about this 'crack' a while ago (shortly after Amax emerged) and was
> really furious that they would make us buy the hardware when it really seemed
> like a fairly easy thing to do for the makers of Amax.

I'm sure it was not a fairly easy thing to do for the hackers.  I have a
feeling,  that  a  hack  is  all  it  is.  You may even lose some of the
functionality or compatability of AMAX.
--
  |\  |     //             Julius A. Cisek   jac423            |  /|
  |   |   \X/ ->crunch<-   SUNYA, NY USA     @leah.albany.edu  |   |

watters@penguin.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (02/10/90)

steve> why would they make us buy the hardware...

It is extremely bad to copy apple stuff, though putting the roms on floppy
would have been easy for ReadySoft, it would have been easily the biggest
mistake of the decade.  This is mainly do to apple's "copy, but don't be
coppied!" policy on buisiness.  I own Amax, and I feel that the craked version
adds an important step, It lets you avoid buying the roms from apple and lets
you use different roms. It also lets use amax with or without the hardware, so
if you agree that the box was poorly designed and it doesn't fit behind your
computer, you don't need it.  I don't use this version, and I am not affiliated
with Apple, or ReadySoft, though I am waiting for Dragon's Lair II.

lawdm@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Dan Lawrence) (02/10/90)

In article <8244@shlump.nac.dec.com>, owen@euclid.enet.dec.com (Steve Owen) writes:
> [...] It really makes you wonder who the real pirates are, huh?  If these
> roms don't need to be bought, but just loaded into the amiga via software,
> then why the hell did the make us buy them?

> I heard about this 'crack' a while ago (shortly after Amax emerged) and was
> really furious that they would make us buy the hardware when it really seemed
> like a fairly easy thing to do for the makers of Amax.

	I find it hard to believe these people don't understand what is
at issue here.  Picture this, suppose they had made an emulator with no
hardware and with the Apple ROM images on disk.  They sell it for a
while, Apple gears up their legal staff and sues the Amax makers for
every penny they got.

	The AMAX people are not trying to screw you by making you buy
uneeded hardware, this was the only legitimate way they could make a
product without infringing on Apple's copyrights.  The people to
complain about here is actually Apple itself for its closed OS and
relecutance to allow clone manifacturing.  (And they do suffer for this,
anyone look at IBM stock lately?)

	But certainly, the folks making the AMAX should not be flamed
for trying to keep from being sued.

			Daniel Lawrence  voice: (317) 742-5153
					  arpa:	dan@midas.mgmt.purdue.edu
				The Programmer's Room
				Fido: 1:201/10 - (317) 742-5533

PS: I am in NO way connected with any company mentioned above

	The reason that you have to buy the ROM's and hardware is that
it is 100% illegal for ReadySoft to sell you the Apple ROM's on disk.
What they are currently doing is "pseudo-legal", apparently. As they
haven't been sued yet I imagine it's legal enough.
	The "hardware" does two things: it gives you a place to put
the ROMs so they can be read by AMax. Secondly it allows you to a
Macintosh drive. This is impossible without the hardware, so these
people with the cracked version have to rely on others to transfer
software for them. This version is readily available. I feel that the
price is quite low for the two products and that if you can afford it
piracy is "inappropriate". Of course, I don't want to get into an
argument about piracy either, but I was surprised at people who were
upset at readysoft for this.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (02/10/90)

In article <8244@shlump.nac.dec.com> owen@euclid.enet.dec.com (Steve Owen) writes:

>In article <22212@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes...
>>
>>     I read in a recent article in "Amazing Computing" that someone
>>has actually cracked the AMAX software, is posting it on BBS's, and
>
>Yea, It really makes you wonder who the real pirates are, huh?  If these
>roms don't need to be bought, but just loaded into the amiga via software,
>then why the hell did the make us buy them?

You have to buy the ROM's to make the whole thing legal.  Otherwise, the
AMAX producers would be pirates instead of the people who put the firmware
on disk.

Steve
-----
stevem@Columbia.NCR.COM
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

WFF101@psuvm.psu.edu (02/10/90)

In article <8244@shlump.nac.dec.com>, owen@euclid.enet.dec.com (Steve Owen)
says:

>Yea, It really makes you wonder who the real pirates are, huh?  If these
>roms don't need to be bought, but just loaded into the amiga via software,
>then why the hell did the make us buy them?
>
>I heard about this 'crack' a while ago (shortly after Amax emerged) and was
>really furious that they would make us buy the hardware when it really seemed
>like a fairly easy thing to do for the makers of Amax.
>
>Steve

    I read in a magazine article (Amiga Resource, I believe) that the sole
reason behind requiring _MACINTOSH_ ROMS was to avoid lawsuits from Mac.

Frank

grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (02/10/90)

> Yea, It really makes you wonder who the real pirates are, huh?  If these
> roms don't need to be bought, but just loaded into the amiga via software,
> then why the hell did the make us buy them?
>
> I heard about this 'crack' a while ago (shortly after Amax emerged) and was
> really furious that they would make us buy the hardware when it really seemed
> like a fairly easy thing to do for the makers of Amax.

Steve,

   You must understand that Apple has copyrights on its ROMs.  ReadySoft
cannot legally copy Apple's ROMs onto disk - you must buy them from Apple,
or from someone who has bought them from Apple.  The pirates obviously
didn't care about this, so they could do it.  Don't blame ReadySoft for
the situation though.

PS: We are both named Steve and like Rush.  Kinda scary, ain't it?

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (02/10/90)

[note about how the AMAX people could have distributed ROM images instead
 deleted.]
In article <8244@shlump.nac.dec.com> (Steve Owen) writes:
>Yea, It really makes you wonder who the real pirates are, huh?  If these
>roms don't need to be bought, but just loaded into the amiga via software,
>then why the hell did the make us buy them?

Steve, going off half cocked like this is bad for your sinuses. Think
about what you just said for a moment. Paraphrased (to make the problem
more obvious) you said "If AMAX could duplicate the Apple ROMs why did
they make us buy them?" And the answer is quite simple, if they duplicated
them then Apple could sue them and put them out of business for copyright
infringement. They did this with Franklin Computer's use of the Apple II
ROMs. The only legal way to get Mac ROMs is to buy them from Apple (or
to buy them from someone who bought them from Apple etc). THAT is why
they make you buy them. Understand ?

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  ARPAnet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

bscott@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Ben M Scott) (02/10/90)

It was bound to happen sooner or later; it's actually not that hard to copy ROMS to a software file and then write patch software for something like A-Max.  In fact, I know a few people around here who are using the hacked version (one who has both the original and the bootleg version, in fact) and it apparently works just fine.

I wonder how Readysoft is going to implement HD support?  According to a developer friend of mine who just happens to have co-written B.A.D., they wiped out the SCSI handler in the Mac ROMs in order to make room for miscellaneous patches in system routines.  To put back stuff like this and sound support (at LEAST make it so it doesn't actually CRASH when an application tries to use sound) they're going to have to find more and more space...

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

dcr3567@ultb.isc.rit.edu (D.C. Richardson) (02/11/90)

In article <22212@unix.cis.pitt.edu> jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes:

>     I read in a recent article in "Amazing Computing" that someone
>has actually cracked the AMAX software, is posting it on BBS's, and
>the thing needs no hardware attachments. All of the ROM's are supposively
>supposed to be 'simulated'. I'll post the exact details when I read the
>article again.
>
>-Steve M. Suhy

  Yes, I've heard of such a rumor.  It's NOT true that the program is
cracked (cracking means that copy protection was removed.. there IS no
copy protection on A-MAX)

   The only thing that has happened, is there is a 2k assembly lang
program that will work in conjunction with A-Max to READ the ROMs that
you have in the hardware, then save them to a file (best on the hard
disk), and allow you to read them from the hard drive (3 seconds) from
then on, instead of the drive port (1-2 minutes).

Take what you want from there, that's all it is.

Daniel C. Richardson
Rochester Institute of Technology
Mechanical Engineering Dept.
:w

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (02/11/90)

>Item: 4744 by *Masked* at euclid.enet.dec.com
>  Subj: Re: Rumors...AMAX

(regarding the AMAX "crack")
>I heard about this 'crack' a while ago (shortly after Amax emerged) and was
>really furious that they would make us buy the hardware when it really seemed
>like a fairly easy thing to do for the makers of Amax.

It was made pretty clear that th reason that the "legal" amax folks couldnt
do it the way the pirates did was mainly a legality.

Apple will NOT let them copy the roms onto a floopy like the pirate did ,
even making a "compatible" fake rom would have left them open to some
serious legal action at a time when Apple was sue-happy.

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

vin@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Vincent J. Erickson) (02/12/90)

>In article <22212@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes...
>
>Yea, It really makes you wonder who the real pirates are, huh?  If these
>roms don't need to be bought, but just loaded into the amiga via software,
>then why the hell did the make us buy them?

The reason you "have" to buy the roms is that its ILLEGAL to copy
Apple roms to disk. That's called piracy. Its a pain, but the harware
solution was very clever of them, I thought. If piracy doesn't bother
you, you apparantly don't need to buy the hardware, but hey, its cheap
enough; besides, I don't know that you could attach a Macintosh drive
to the Amiga directly anyways, so you'd be limited to what you could
read/ write with the Amiga drives (I think).

dfrancis@dsoft.UUCP (Dennis Heffernan) (02/13/90)

	For what it's worth, the cracked version doesn't run on a 68030
-equipped system.  I've heard that the real version will, though.  (Of course,
if anyone out there KNOWS it won't, let me know FAST!  I'm probably going to
buy the durn thing...)

	I know what these pirates have done is pretty terrible, but I have a
hard time finding it in my heart to feel sorry for Apple...

--
	--dfh	...uunet!tronsbox!dsoft!dfrancis
		"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition

lee@sed170.HAC.COM (John Lee) (02/16/90)

In article <8244@shlump.nac.dec.com> owen@euclid.enet.dec.com (Steve Owen) writes:
>In article <22212@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes...
>>     I read in a recent article in "Amazing Computing" that someone
>>has actually cracked the AMAX software, is posting it on BBS's, and
>>the thing needs no hardware attachments. All of the ROM's are supposively
>>supposed to be 'simulated'. I'll post the exact details when I read the
>>article again.
>>-Steve M. Suhy
[...]
>I heard about this 'crack' a while ago (shortly after Amax emerged) and was
>really furious that they would make us buy the hardware when it really seemed
>like a fairly easy thing to do for the makers of Amax.
>
>Steve

All MacIntosh ROMS and their contents are copyrighted by Apple, and ReadySoft
nor anyone else have been/will be able to convince Apple to license the
rights to distribute a copy of the ROMS in any form whatsoever.  That is why
you must purchase genuine Apple ROMS and the need for the hardware adapter.
From what I've heard, the "crack" is an *illegal* copy of the ROMS, not a
legal re-engineered version like the Phoenix BIOS for IBM clones.

--John Lee
Raining CATS and DOGS?  Join the RATS: Remote Amiga Teleconferencing System
	+--------+			John Lee
	| HUGHES |
	+--------+			ARPAnet: jhlee@hac2arpa.hac.com
	Hughes Aircraft Company
The above opinions are those of the user and not of those of this machine.

ja26612@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/20/90)

It is true, AMAX is available illegally in 100% software form.  It has been
available for about six months now.  It works exactly the same as its hardware
counterpart, except that the 128K of ROM is used by RAM.

ja26612@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/20/90)

It is also wrong that AMAX (pirated software version) will not work on a 68030.
It works perfectly on a 68030.  Mathematica runs on it with no flaws at all,
including even the networking feature at 19.2K baud.
.

david_r_watters@penguin.cis.ohio-state.edu (02/21/90)

In article <46200026@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> ja26612@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>It is true, AMAX is available illegally in 100% software form.  It has been
>available for about six months now.  It works exactly the same as its hardware
>counterpart, except that the 128K of ROM is used by RAM.
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The ROMS are uploaded into ram on the legit version also.

I am not flamming, but can we stop posting about the illegal version of Amax.

Sumation: They make you buy the roms for legal reaons, and it is still
illegal to spread software. So before more people accedentaly reveal their
true colors and which version they use, end this subject and stop piracy.

At this rate somebody is going to ask where he can ftp this version. :-)

<LEEK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (02/21/90)

> It work exactly the same as its hardware counterpart, except that the 128K of
> ROM is used by RAM.

It = illegal version - 100% software version of Amax

I would assume that even the real hardware version of Amax would load the Mac
ROM into ram at one point.  It is just a real pain to access the ROM via some
slow IO chips every time.  I think all the illegal hack did was to replace the
part of the code that reads from the floppy interface to one that reads from a
disk file.

On the side of Mac drive does anyone know how to make a DSDD 720K Sony drive
into a Mac drive.  At $50 a piece for a Sony drive vs $199 for a clone Mac
drive, it might be worth while to look into such a project.  The amount of
money saved would almost covers the cost of the Amax.  Can anyone one point me
the direction to find the specs for the Mac drive ?

K. C. Lee
(I am no way connected with anyone nor any organization.  My view (if exists at
 all) must be pure coincident and I am the only one responsible.)

krag@cup.portal.com (Kevin Ray Grotjohn) (02/22/90)

I really didn't want to get on this one.  I have sold my AMAX for other
reasons and did not retain a copy of anything, unless I run disksalve.
Would it have been illegal for ReadySoft to check for the existence of
the rom's after loading them once to the harddrive, and to make the check
every time it is run to make sure somebody isn't passing around their
cartridge.  I'm suprised they didn't put a dongle ID in their cartridge to
avoid this pirated ROM to HD problem.  I never did care for the 6" cartridge
but I don't believe in piracy of someone else's effort's even if it is
apples.  Prior to this HD hack I had heard of people EPromming apples
roms to place in the cartridge.  They should check for that as well by
asserting the write lines of the EPROM to prevent use.
With this crap going on, what incentive do they have to make AMAX II.