[comp.sys.amiga] Handshake not 2400zi compatible?

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (02/20/90)

In article <1115@madnix.UUCP>, perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) says:
>In article <25d7ad03:4536.2@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.uucp writes:
>>
>>WHAT A LOAD OF TRASH. It is >HANDSHAKES< FAULT. Look, I'd be the first
>>to admit that the serial device interface needs work for multi-serial
>>cards, but don't get carried away.
>>
>>>IF< The folks that had done handshake had done it "right", the Supra
>>conversion program would work and all would be fine in the world.
>
>Actually, HandShake works just fine with a number of third party serial
>drivers (excepting Supra's). I think you owe Eric Haberfellner an apology.
>pk

No way.  Heck, if I'd been the programmer that ASSUMED that serial.device
was the only device driver that anyone would EVER use on a computer as
versatile as the Amiga, AND if I'd "hard-wired" my program so that it
didn't allow for changes, then when a driver came out that caught me,
I'd admit it and make the necessary changes right quick.  Has Eric done
this?  Nope.  I've written buggy software in the past and corrected it
and released a new version within DAYS of the bug report.  If Eric is
not willing to do this, then I will not use his product.  And by NO means
should we apologize for saying his software is the culprit when it is.

                                                                 Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (814) 862-8630 ||  "This town needs an enema."        ||
|| 600 E. Pollock Rd., #5705   ||                   - Joker, "Batman" ||
|| State College, PA 16801      --------------------------------------||
||   jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  or  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu                    ||
||        or  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1           QLink: KurtTappe  ||

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (02/20/90)

In article <90050.120651JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:

)>Actually, HandShake works just fine with a number of third party serial
)>drivers (excepting Supra's). I think you owe Eric Haberfellner an apology.
)>pk

)I've written buggy software in the past and corrected it
)and released a new version within DAYS of the bug report.  If Eric is
)not willing to do this, then I will not use his product.  And by NO means
)should we apologize for saying his software is the culprit when it is.
)                                                                 Kurt

As Perry said, Handshake works just fine with other people's drivers.

Handshake is a good program, not "buggy", and is shareware.  You
weren't going to pay for it anyway, were you?  And maybe that could give
a clue why one doesn't always see immediate updates to shareware
programs.

The way I look at it, unless you've made a contribution on the order
of Eric's, you've got no place picking nits in rude tones, and questionable
nits at that.  And even then ...

Get real, buddy.
	jimm

--
--------------------------------------------------	- opinions by me
"This voice console is a *must*.  I press Execute.

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (02/22/90)

>  Resp: 5 of 5 by *Masked* at psuvm.psu.edu
>  Date: Wed Feb 21 1990 19:22
>In article <1115@madnix.UUCP>, perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) says:
>>In article <25d7ad03:4536.2@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.uucp writes:
>>>
>>>WHAT A LOAD OF TRASH. It is >HANDSHAKES< FAULT. Look, I'd be the first
>>>to admit that the serial device interface needs work for multi-serial
>>>cards, but don't get carried away.

>>>conversion program would work and all would be fine in the world.
>>
>>Actually, HandShake works just fine with a number of third party serial
>>drivers (excepting Supra's). I think you owe Eric Haberfellner an apology.
>>pk

Let me clarify one point here.

I DO >NOT< blame any programmer that makes the normal AmigaDos calls to
"serial.device" for the problems with internal modems. That is Commodore for
not taking multiple serial ports into account....

But going to HARDWARE is indefensible.

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

scott@wilbur.uucp (Scott Beckstead) (02/22/90)

  Come on Hayes modems aren't even Hayes compatible (last test I saw in PC
Week gave them only a 97% rating on their PS/2 product)
so if another modem isn't Hayes compatible what's the beef.  If a modem
program was written before the latest revision of a Hayes product came out
it is possible that it has idiosyncrasies(sp) that the modem won't recognize
the same is possible for the modem.
Scott

--
Scott Beckstead      | Sew Crates was a grate greek.
CIS 76106,3720       |     Dang that one got right by the spelling checker