[comp.sys.amiga] Phasar 3.0

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (02/20/90)

frank> In article <19000034@attcc.UUCP> bn@attcc.UUCP writes:
> You get mad when a magazine gives you a $70 accounting package, and a $50
> spelling checker???? I thought these two packages ALONE were worth the $39.95
> subscription price.

frank> I already own the accounting package, the version they're 'giving
frank> away' is obsolete, they're charging $20 for the manual, if they have
frank> one to sell you, and I know how to spell, thank you. I dislike Antic
frank> charging me for something I've already bought from them. It's the both
frank> the conflict of interest and the fact that I'm paying twice for the
frank> program that irritate me. Since I used to subscribe, I didn't have the
frank> option to decline the losing disk. I still view the 'giveaway' as a
frank> convenient way for Antic to advertise their upgrade at my expense, by
frank> avoiding having to find something new or unique for the disk. (rant
frank> rant)

I was at the computer store this weekend, checking out software.  I
decided that I needed some sort of financial program.  This is not
because my finances are so involved that I need a computer as much as
I simply need to be forced to work on a budget.  My choices at the
store were Desktop Budget from Gold Disk for $49, or the Phasar 3.0
program embedded in the Antic magazine.  I chose the latter, because
it was only $14.95.

It wasn't until I got home that I found out that the manual cost another
$18.45 and had limited availability (first come, first serve).  Then I
actually ran the program.

I swear that Phasar produces the best emulation of an MS-DOS
environment that the Amiga can muster.  Everything is done via an
text-only interface which makes the user fill-in-the-blanks, answer
(y/n) to thousands of questions and select from text menus containing
highlighted letters.

The token attempt at Intuition support the program offers only make
the interface worse, not better.  At least before the program
incorporated an Intuition menu at the title screen you could run the
whole thing solely from the keyboard. I don't even want to talk about
how they decided to employ the mouse in the fill-in-the-blank sections
of the program.

The help files tells you to push F1 anytime you need help.
Unfortunately, this isn't always true, because pushing F1 in the data
entry sections of the program produces a menu.  Besides the obvious
inconsistency, the authors completely overlooked the "HELP" key on the
Amiga keyboard.

To summarize, the program may do what I'm looking for, but the
interface is simply so annoying I can't use it.  I feel like I wasted
$14.95 on the program.  I certainly won't give Antic the $18.45 for
the manual, or the $39.95 for the upgrade to Phasar 4.0.  I'll
probably opt for Desktop Budget or write my own program instead.

Programs like Phasar make me wish I owned a Macintosh, whose software
architecture doesn't permit the user to produce emulations of MS-DOS
human-interface disasters.

				--M
--
__  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
\/  portuesi@sgi.com	Entry Systems Division -- Engineering

    "I'm still waiting"

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (02/21/90)

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

|The token attempt at Intuition support the program offers only make
|the interface worse, not better.  At least before the program
|incorporated an Intuition menu at the title screen you could run the
|whole thing solely from the keyboard. I don't even want to talk about
|how they decided to employ the mouse in the fill-in-the-blank sections
|of the program.

My experience has been the exact opposite. I've found their interface
extremely easy and natural. It lets me enter data so quickly that it's
no real problem.

No, the program does not support the mouse as well as other Amiga
programs, but it is not the sort of program you *want* to run with a
mouse. Doing data entry and manipulation my alternating beween the
mouse and keyboard would be distilled frustration.

Instead, Phasar has what I consider to be one of the best keyboard
interfaces I've seen. As good as Mandelvroom supports intuition, Phasar
supports intuitive data entry.

I bought the program nearly two years ago, and have been a happy user
since. I wanted to provide another point of view towards the software.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
***  "May I take this opportunity of emphasizing that there is no cannibalism

bill@wfhami.UUCP (Bill Hogsett) (02/21/90)

Michael Portuesi has commented on Phasar 3.0 as follows:

>To summarize, the program may do what I'm looking for, but the
>interface is simply so annoying I can't use it.  I feel like I wasted
>$14.95 on the program.  I certainly won't give Antic the $18.45 for
>the manual, or the $39.95 for the upgrade to Phasar 4.0.  I'll
>probably opt for Desktop Budget or write my own program instead.

>Programs like Phasar make me wish I owned a Macintosh, whose software
>architecture doesn't permit the user to produce emulations of MS-DOS
>human-interface disasters.

I agree that the Phasar is MS-DOS and I often rail at what I have to
do to make it work.  However, it does work fairly well.  I also have Gold
Disk's Desktop Budget, which is almost entirely icon driven.  However,
Desktop Budget is so cumbersome to use and lacking in features (e.g., no
check printing, poor reports and the check verification is very difficult
to use) that I have continued to use Phasar.

Michael, if you want to buy Desktop Budget send me some mail and I'll make
you a good offer.  (Original disk plus manual for $25)

Bill Hogsett                      CLEVELAND AREA-AMIGA USERS' GROUP (CA-AUG)
ncoast!wfhami!bill                          (216) 292-4404 (BBS)
20876 Almar Drive
Shaker Heights, OH 44122 I get paid for my legal opinions, but
216-295-1624             I'd really rather talk about my Amiga.

allen@grebyn.com (Allen Farrington) (02/22/90)

For what it does, Phasar 3.0 is quite a good package.

I think that if you had the manual and had used it for
several months you would agree.  The interface is not
what I would call MSD*S'ish.  True, there are no fancy
gadgets and windows to move around but for this time of
program, that would make things more difficult, IMHO.

Anyhow, the interface is what I would call quite intuitive
in the sense that it tries to guess what your next entry
should be.  In fact its quite successful at doing that.

No flame intended.  I just think that a few days of trying
a complex program like Phasar without the manual isn't
enough time to form an informed opinion.  I don't think
I'd continue using it without a manual, though.

  --Allen

--
|------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------|                    -Mr. Spock

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (02/22/90)

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>Programs like Phasar make me wish I owned a Macintosh, whose software
>architecture doesn't permit the user to produce emulations of MS-DOS
>human-interface disasters.

Misconception.  The Mac makes non-MS-DOS interfaces easy, but there are
plenty of applications out there which ignore that, and do straight MS-DOS
type keyboard input applications - FoxBase, for example.  There's certainly
nothing in the Mac which prevents you from doing this, just as there is
nothing in the Amiga which forces you to.

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.usa