[comp.sys.amiga] How to work BITFTP@PUCC

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (02/20/90)

I have been trying to get fish disks from mrcnext.xxx.xxx (whatever) and
have been unable to so far.  Here is what I do ...

FTP mcrnext.xxx.xxx.xx UUENCODE
USER anonymous
CD amiga/fish
BINARY                   ---->> I tried with and without this line
GET ff222
GET ffxxx
QUIT

Everything works fine except the GET commands return an error something
like "file is not of simple type" or something like that.  If anyone
out there does this and could send me the commands to do it, I would be
greatly appreciative.

chris@lvkeep.UUCP (Chris Olson) (02/20/90)

[Die!]

>I have been trying to get fish disks from mrcnext.xxx.xxx (whatever) and
>have been unable to so far.  Here is what I do ...
>
>FTP mcrnext.xxx.xxx.xx UUENCODE
>USER anonymous
>CD amiga/fish
>BINARY                   ---->> I tried with and without this line
>GET ff222
>GET ffxxx
>QUIT
>
>Everything works fine except the GET commands return an error something
>like "file is not of simple type" or something like that.  If anyone
>out there does this and could send me the commands to do it, I would be
>greatly appreciative.

Use the binary line, it's a requirement.  Also, you can't get a directory
(which is how the fish disks are organized on mcrnext).  You have to go for
the right zoo file.

...so might look like this:

.
.
.
MGET ff222/*
.
.
.

Hope this helps (it will if the server/client supports multiple gets)

chris

--
     /// uunet!ssbell!lvkeep!chris           | [Contains my opinions only...]
    /// ssbell.imd.sterling.com!lvkeep!chris | "I like musicals.  You know,

harper@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/22/90)

The names ffxxx are directories.  You need to cd ffxxx and then get the files
that you see in the directory.

-Mike

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (02/22/90)

In article <1990Feb20.121818.23551@aucs.uucp>, 840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) writes:
> I have been trying to get fish disks from mrcnext.xxx.xxx (whatever) and
> have been unable to so far.  Here is what I do ...
>
> FTP mcrnext.xxx.xxx.xx UUENCODE
> USER anonymous
> CD amiga/fish
> BINARY                   ---->> I tried with and without this line
> GET ff222
> GET ffxxx
> QUIT
>
> Everything works fine except the GET commands return an error something
> like "file is not of simple type" or something like that.  If anyone
> out there does this and could send me the commands to do it, I would be
> greatly appreciative.

Very, very close!  The directory structure is:

/amiga/fish/ff001
/amiga/fish/ff002
       .
       .
       .
/amiga/fish/ff299
/amiga/fish/ff300

Try this instead:

FTP mcrnext.xxx.xxx.xx UUENCODE
USER anonymous
CD amiga/fish
CD ffxxx         <--- Where xxx is the number of the fish disk you want
BINARY
GET *
QUIT

I may not be exactly correct, but close.  The 'GET' command may need to be
a 'MGET'.  I don't remember which.  This SHOULD send you in UUENCODED format,
all zoo files for Fred Fish disk xxx.

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2

scott@grlab.UUCP (Scott Blachowicz) (02/22/90)

Regarding How to work BITFTP@PUCC; 840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) writes:

> I have been trying to get fish disks from mrcnext.xxx.xxx (whatever) and
> have been unable to so far.  Here is what I do ...

> FTP mcrnext.xxx.xxx.xx UUENCODE
> USER anonymous
> CD amiga/fish
> BINARY                   ---->> I tried with and without this line
> GET ff222
> GET ffxxx
> QUIT

> Everything works fine except the GET commands return an error something
> like "file is not of simple type" or something like that.  If anyone
> out there does this and could send me the commands to do it, I would be
> greatly appreciative.

The problem is that ffxxx is a directory. I usually stick a DIR
command after every CD command, so I can tell what's there when I mess
up the GET or whatever command. What you need to do is something
like...

FTP mcrnext.xxx.xxx.xx UUENCODE
USER anonymous
CD amiga/fish
BINARY
DIR
CD ff222
DIR
GET MemGauge.zoo memgauge.zoo
QUIT

NOTES:
  -If it is a UNIX system (and you are, too), you can ALWAYS use the
BINARY command. I've got a GnuEmacs function that I use (in case
that's useful)...

;; Setup a mail message to look like this...
;;
;; To: uw-beaver!BITFTP%pucc.princeton.edu
;; Bcc: scott
;; Subject: FTP archive-request to mrcnext.xxx.xxx.xx
;; --text follows this line--
;; FTP mrcnext.xxx.xxx.xx
;; USER anonymous
;; BINARY
;; DIR
;; QUIT
(defun ftp-request (node)
  "Send a mail message to the Anon-FTP mail server."
  (interactive "sNode name: \n")
  (if (boundp 'mail-setup-hook)
      (setq sv-hook mail-setup-hook)
    (setq sv-hook nil))
  (setq mail-self-blind t)
  (setq mail-setup-hook
        '(lambda ()
           (end-of-buffer)
           (insert (concat "FTP " node "
USER anonymous
BINARY
DIR
QUIT"))
           (beginning-of-buffer)
           (re-search-forward "^DIR")
           (beginning-of-line)
           ))
  (mail nil "uw-beaver!BITFTP%pucc.princeton.edu"
        (concat "FTP archive-request to " node))
  (setq mail-self-blind nil)
  (setq mail-setup-hook sv-hook)
  )

--
Scott Blachowicz                E-mail:  scott@grlab.UUCP
USPS:  Graphicus                 ..or..  ...!hpubvwa!grlab!scott