[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore-Support?

qhy@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Tony Hutson) (02/20/90)

     I am Vice President of a local Commodore User Group in Indianapolis.
We started out mainly supporting the Commodore 64, of course we are open
to all Commodore owners, and I myself have a C-64 and an Amiga 500.

To Commodore: Now that you have droped the C-64, and the 128 series,
  is all support droped as well?  Also, are all the products, such as
  the 1541 disk drives also out of production?

Many members of our group cherish their 64, and still get a lot of
use out of it.  They are, more than worried about the resent drop of
all support.  (Have you taken a look at the magazines for the C-64
lately?)  Which bings me to my next question...

I took the finishing point from Commodores recent decision to terminate
the Commodore Power Play Magazine.

All this from a Company that lived mostly off of C-64 sales for over eight
years...

My point is this, while there is a responsibility for user groups to support
users, couldn't the companies of these computers give a little assistance
to the user groups.  Also, after all these people who have boughten a 64 in
the past few years have them, without the support of the company are these
computers just a dead-end, it would seem that way from Commodore's view.

I don't mean to sound harsh, I mean to state the facts.  The facts as the
Commodore market see them.  I mean Commodore main market is the general
public, unless they have open a corporate standing since yestaurday...

*** Could someone please post a list of names of Commodore Boards of
    directors, and Give me the name of Commodore's current CEO?  ***
    If possible include mailing addresses, or means of contact.

 Thank You,   Dwayne Hutson

+ Dwayne (Tony) Hutson        +++   Phoenix Commodore Computer Group   +
+ qhy@mentor.cc.purdue.edu    +++   90 Shadybrook Heights              +
+                             +++   Greenwood, IN, 46142               +
+ Vice President              +++   BBS (317) 882-7802       24 Hrs.   +

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (02/21/90)

Talk about out of touch.  This person thinks Commodore dropped Power Play
magazine (which hasn't existed for 4 years) insead of COMMODORE magazine
(sound familiar now?)  He doesn't know Harry Copperman's name.  Worst
of all, he posts to com.sys.AMIGA with 64 whining.
                            ^^^^^                              Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (814) 862-8630 ||  "This town needs an enema."        ||
|| 600 E. Pollock Rd., #5705   ||                   - Joker, "Batman" ||
|| State College, PA 16801      --------------------------------------||
||   jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  or  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu                    ||
||        or  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1           QLink: KurtTappe  ||

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/22/90)

     Nostalgia is one thing, but business is another.  I don't think they
dropped support of the C64 totally, but if they did, it's because sales were
way off, and software sales this Christmas I heard were very disappointing.

schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (02/23/90)

In article <46200030@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>     Nostalgia is one thing, but business is another.  I don't think they
>dropped support of the C64 totally, but if they did, it's because sales were
>way off, and software sales this Christmas I heard were very disappointing.

After the original post, I contacted the Commodore Online Support representative
on CompuServe to determine the present production status of the 64.  The
production line for the 64 is still chugging along.

Follow-ups directed to comp.sys.cbm, as this really isn't an Amiga issue.

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	  CompuServe:  74236,1645	Standard Disclaimer
ARPAnet (Defense Data Network):		        schweige@cs.nps.navy.mil