[comp.sys.amiga] RGB/View 2000 from RGB Spectrum

scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) (02/19/90)

[don't feed the line e

I was recently going through one of those product card decks and
found one that looked interesting.

The company is:

RGB Spectrum
2550 Ninth Street Suite 114
Berkeley, CA 94710-9873
Tel: (415) 848-0180 Fax: (515) 848-0971

Here is some of the info on the product:

VIDEO WINDOWNING SYSTEM FOR WORKSTATION DISPLAYS

The RGB/View 2000 video display controller integrates real-time video
with computer generated text and graphics on a high resolution display.
The RGB/View accepts composite video (NTSC or PAL) or RGB component signals
from a camera, video recorder or video disc.  The real-time
video is displayed as a window on the computer screen.

HOST INDEPENDENT:
Works with any computer workstation
Does not impact workstation performance

FRAME BUFFER INDEPENDENT:
Works with any high resolution display
Does not impact frame buffer performance

SOFTWARE INDEPENDENT:
Offers 100% compatibility with any application software

Has anybody heard of this or actually seen/used one?  Is this usable
with the Amiga?  And if so how?

I don't see how they can say it is host/software independent unless the
window that is used is in a fixed location on the screen.  Kind of like
having a window of color 0 so a genlock can display an image at that
location only. (actually did that once for a demo)

I have no affiliation with this company, just interested in how they
do it and at what cost.

--
          _
    ///  /_\      Scot L. Harris ...!tarpit!rtmvax!amigash!scot

dcr3567@ultb.isc.rit.edu (D.C. Richardson) (02/22/90)

  I just got my Mitsubshi Diamond Scan yesterday, and it's GREAT!
  Flicker w/ VLT is a LOT less, and the Video input (for NTSC) looks
awesome from the VCR.

Questions:  How can I make a switch so I can use the "auto-switch" mode
for switching between NTSC (Pin 9 video), Analog, and OVERLAY mode?  I
was able to hack my cable so I could get NTSC -OR- Analog mode, but it
was rather kludgey.  Any suggestions?  It's a rather pain to yank the
monitor just to watch TV.

Second:  Upon reading the manual included, it said there is an overlay
mode.  I tried the second suggestion of theirs (composite video in the
VIDEO input, and also to pin 9 of analog, and connected pin 21 to 8
[elevating it to HIGH [+5]], and grounded Pin 24 to 10 (which is
grounded loop-style to 3,5,7, etc..)  It didn't work.  The most I got
was NTSC auto-switched.  I didn't try the first suggestion, because I
didn't understand it.

   Is it:  Feed Analog signal to VIDEO -&- connect to pin 11 (Comp out)
     ?  This doesn't seem too logical.. the arrows seem that NTSC goes
into Video, feeds into Pin 9, and RGB .. it gets confusing from there.

The only thing I see that I might have missed is that Pin 6 is the
superimpose control signal.. but I don't understand what it wants from
their chart.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?  I just *HATE* not knowing what these 'special
features' are like! (besides, it could be a neat 'fake' genlock!)

(PS: The Diamond Scan was bought for $445 (+$10 SHIPPING) from
Compu-Clearance, and took 9 days to get here.  I feel that they were
honest and friendly in every way, as well as having the best price I
could find.)
-I don't use disclaimers.. just take everything with a grain of salt!-

--
Daniel C. Richardson
Mechanical Engineering Dept.

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (02/23/90)

>From what I've read about the system, it works in the same manner that
picture-in-a-picture works on some TVs and VCRs...only you can control the
placement of the window on your screen with the front controls of the device,
or through commands sent through your rs232 port...pretty neat.

Sean C.