[comp.sys.amiga] DeskJet non-smearing ink

hugh@kink.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble @ Phaedra V's Amiga 2500) (02/21/90)

[Lie neater?  Why not just tell the truth?]

I would have thought that this was old news by now, but since everyone
is posting messages about one limitation of the HP DeskJet printers
being that the water soluble ink runs if you so much as look at it with
wet eyes, I'll say that HP has a newer ink cartridge out.  The new one
has the same part number, 51608A, but lists the DeskJet Plus, and
DeskWriter on the front as well as the older DeskJet, and has red
rectangles with "NEW!" in them.

The new one is purported to be non-smearing.  I won't try out a new one
until the cartridge that's in my printer now runs out, but I picked up
one of the new ones at Computronix here in Toronto a few weeks ago.

I've been very happy with my DJ Plus, except for worrying about the ink
running when I print on envelopes, and with the PixelScript 1.1
PostScript interpreter.  I'd reccommend this combination for anyone with
a need for good quality, low volume PostScript output.  I find the
AmigaTeX output from the DeskJet driver excellent as well.

--
# Hugh D. Gamble    No Disclaimers.
# hugh@kink.UUCP

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (02/23/90)

In article <78330.AA78330@kink> hugh@kink.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble @ Phaedra V's Amiga 2500) writes:
   >[Lie neater?  Why not just tell the truth?]

I'd rather be sloppy! :-]

   >being that the water soluble ink runs if you so much as look at it with
   >wet eyes, I'll say that HP has a newer ink cartridge out.  The new one
   >has the same part number, 51608A, but lists the DeskJet Plus, and
   >DeskWriter on the front as well as the older DeskJet, and has red
   >rectangles with "NEW!" in them.

I purchased one from a local dealer back in December.  Yes, those
printers were "new" at the time these cartridges were packaged.  I
don't believe that it says a single thing about the cartridge or the
ink being different -- just the printers that can use the cartridge.
The little pamphlet insert didn't say a word about the cartridge
being different -- I just checked.

   >The new one is purported to be non-smearing.  I won't try out a new one
   >until the cartridge that's in my printer now runs out, but I picked up
   >one of the new ones at Computronix here in Toronto a few weeks ago.

Hmm....  I never heard anything that the "new" cartridge ink didn't
smear.  The technical folks at the dealer mentioned nothing about
non-smearing ink when I mentioned the problem to them.  As a matter
of fact I just "purposely" smear a trashed printout.  It had been in
the wastebasket for a day.  Wetting my finger and running it across
a line of print smeared the print but the letters were still very
readable.  Also, I got a printout "hot off the printer" last night
and smudged it, accidentally.

   >I've been very happy with my DJ Plus, except for worrying about the ink
   >running when I print on envelopes, and with the PixelScript 1.1

Nothing a little Scotch(tm) tape won't fix! :-)  Nonetheless, I'm going to
try finding some Krylon spray and check it out.  Unfortunately my fiance'
doesn't use hair spray. :-(

   >PostScript interpreter.  I'd reccommend this combination for anyone with
   >a need for good quality, low volume PostScript output.  I find the
   >AmigaTeX output from the DeskJet driver excellent as well.

I agree on the AmigaTeX output though don't know no nothing about no
PostScript stuff.  :-)

Still, iff I get the money I might start to get very interested in
the LaserJet IIP.  A good dealer (plus possibly an educational discount)
could bring the price of the IIP down to very close of the list price
on a DJ+.

I'll post a message about the effects of the Krylon (maybe some
cheap hairspray if time allows) RSN.  Stay tuned!

		-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"