[comp.sys.amiga] Postscript on the Amiga

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (07/24/88)

I am collecting PD PostScript code for the Amiga.  That is, anything
that is of interest to someone who has an Amiga and a PostScript
printer.  I will make whatever I get available as a PD disk, through
Fred Fish if he wants, or myself.  Comments on commercial programs
that support PostScript are also appreciated.  So, if you have a
PostScript printer on your Amiga, let me see what you are doing with
it!  Thanks.

-tom

jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (02/03/90)

Does anyone know of a Postscript interpreter/converter for the Amiga?  I would
like to get some Postscript files from Mathematica on a NeXT and display them
as IFF's.  I do have a utility that is supposed to convert IFF files to
Poscript files, but don't have anything for converting the other way.

James Walden
JWWALDEN@MIAVX1

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (02/07/90)

In article <767.25ca2242@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>Does anyone know of a Postscript interpreter/converter for the Amiga?  I would
>like to get some Postscript files from Mathematica on a NeXT and display them
>as IFF's.  I do have a utility that is supposed to convert IFF files to
>Poscript files, but don't have anything for converting the other way.
>
>James Walden
>JWWALDEN@MIAVX1

There's a nifty little postscript interpreter that showed up just recently on
Compu$erve.  It's file name is POST.LZH and I believe that it should still be
in Data Library 1 (the new uploads section).

It only knows how to handle postscript graphics commands (although it does
have the color extensions).  It won't handle text and font stuff at this time.
It can display to screen, print, or save as an IFF file.  I was impressed
with its ability to handle a lot of the graphics stuff that GhostScript
generates very poor output for.

John Munsch

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.OZ (Ian Farquhar) (02/12/90)

In article <10340@spudge.UUCP> johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) writes:
>In article <767.25ca2242@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>There's a nifty little postscript interpreter that showed up just recently on
>Compu$erve.  It's file name is POST.LZH and I believe that it should still be
>in Data Library 1 (the new uploads section).
>
>It only knows how to handle postscript graphics commands (although it does
>have the color extensions).  It won't handle text and font stuff at this time.
>It can display to screen, print, or save as an IFF file.  I was impressed
>with its ability to handle a lot of the graphics stuff that GhostScript
>generates very poor output for.

Could someone either post this or send it to me?  If I can get the code,
I might be able to add the font handling (which fairly simple).

Thanks.  I don't have access to compuserve.
"AI is also an acronym for Artificial Ignorance"

Ian Farquhar                      Phone : (612) 805-7420
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : (612) 805-7433
Macquarie University  NSW  2109   Also  : (612) 805-7205
Australia                         Telex : AA122377

ACSNet ifarqhar@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz.au  ifarqhar@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au

maffett@uther.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Maffett) (02/15/90)

In article <202@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mq.oz (Ian Farquhar) writes:
>In article <10340@spudge.UUCP> johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) writes:
>>In article <767.25ca2242@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>>There's a nifty little postscript interpreter that showed up just recently on
>>Compu$erve.  It's file name is POST.LZH and I believe that it should still be
>>in Data Library 1 (the new uploads section).
>>
>>It only knows how to handle postscript graphics commands (although it does
>>have the color extensions).  It won't handle text and font stuff at this time.
>>It can display to screen, print, or save as an IFF file.  I was impressed
>>with its ability to handle a lot of the graphics stuff that GhostScript
>>generates very poor output for.
>
>Could someone either post this or send it to me?  If I can get the code,
>I might be able to add the font handling (which fairly simple).
>

>Ian Farquhar                      Phone : (612) 805-7420
>Australia                         Telex : AA122377

   POST is a now up to version 1.0 (the version discussed above was version
0.1).  Version 1.0 of POST has the following features:
  - Full support for Type 3 Postscript fonts
  - Support of the entire Postscript language, including color Postscript.
  - Full intuition interface, or command line interface.
  - Output to screen, printer, or iff file.
  - Ability to specify the "dpi" used for the image.
  - Any preferences printer can be used at its maximum resolution.
  - IFF files up to 32000x32000.
  - POST supports B/W and both Postscript color models (RGB and CYMB),
    to both screen and printer.
   ( \/ this one is NeAT!)
  - Message port interface, so POST can be used for a "kind" of display
    Postscript.  An example program is included which demonstrates this
    message port interface.  Basically you issue commands to POST, and
    in return POST displays the results to your supplied bitmap.

  POST comes on both 68000 and 68020/30 versions.  The 68000 version is
very fast, and 20/30 version is about even faster.  About 30 seconds for my
typical page (output to the screen), and somewhat longer for the printer.

  Type 1 font support should be added as soon as Adobe releases the info.

  I will ask the author about posting POST to the net.
tmm

-  maffett@uther.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Maffett)
or maffett@netcom.UUCP

stephen@hpdml93.HP.COM (Stephen Holmstead) (02/16/90)

Tim Maffett writes:
>I will ask the author about posting POST to the net.

YES!!!  PLEASE!!!  Sounds like a very useful package.

 ____       ____
|___\   /   /___| Division         \X/ Amiga        stephen@hpdmlge.boi.hp.com

bevis@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Jeff Bevis) (02/23/90)

In article <15850@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, maffett@uther.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Maffett) writes:
>   POST is a now up to version 1.0 (the version discussed above was version
 [mucho stuff deleted]

>  I will ask the author about posting POST to the net.
>
>-  maffett@uther.CS.ORST.EDU (Tim Maffett)
>or maffett@netcom.UUCP

Oh heavens!  This is *JUST* what I need!  If you could get this on the net,
or if you could email me a copy, I'd offer a 1000 thanks!  The man (or woman)
who wrote this should be granted sainthood. :-)

You see, I've got this nifty PC board layout program (my latest software
project) that generates Postscript output... problem is, everytime I wanna
see "the real thing" I have to download lots of goobotz to the purdue
machines to output on *their* printers... this previewer would be sooooooooo
handy!

I'm really looking forward to this one...

Side note:  If anyone out there is wondering, yes, my audio digitizer PCB's
	    were done with that program... I'll be giving it to Tad for
	    c.b.a soon...

<grin,grin,grin>

Jeff Bevis		     Purdue Univeristy School of Electrical Engineering
bevis@en.ecn.purdue.edu	  	   	       Give me Amiga or nothing at all.
Actually, I never liked spam.  Spam, spam, spam, sausage, bacon and spam...