[comp.sys.amiga] printer virus?

icsu7039@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Spannring) (02/23/90)

    I have a slight problem on my Amiga.  prt: doesn't work when I boot
from one particular disk.  My (vastly simplified) startup-sequence looks like
this:

echo > prt: hello

Should print hello when I first boot up- right?  Well it doesn't.  Instead
it writes to the screen 'prt: device busy'.  I have all the devices files and
libraries so what is the problem?  VirusX doesn't see anything wrong and
it hasn't spread to any of my other disks.
 Six of one, 110 (base 2) of       | Craig Spannring
 another.                          | icsu7039@caesar.cs.montana.edu
 ----------------------------------+--------------------------------

watters@penguin.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (02/23/90)

In article <3436@caesar.cs.montana.edu> icsu7039@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Spannring) writes:
>echo > prt: hello
>
>Should print hello when I first boot up- right?  Well it doesn't.  Instead
>it writes to the screen 'prt: device busy'.  I have all the devices files and

> Six of one, 110 (base 2) of       | Craig Spannring

I grabbed a PD program called Pprefs by John Potter.  It is a rewrite of the
preference program and has a few extra featurs such as built in "morerows" type
screen size setter as well as a much smaller size.  Well, this program did
wierd things to the printer, as in it wouldn't work anymore.  You get the same
"prt: is busy".  Solution: If you are using Pprefs, continue to, however after
you save your prefs, go back to the old preference program and only change the
printer part, then save it.  Everything should work now, if this was your
problem.

watters@cis.ohio-state.edu