[comp.sys.amiga] CRobots Guru?

cs03513@athena.csus.edu (Jerry Garcia) (02/22/90)

	I recently got CRobots from an FTP site.  The problem occurs
after I load all the robots and the actual war starts.  After about 3
seconds my machine guru's.  GOMF 1.0 catches and say's unaligned word or
address.  But the machine still guru's with the 0009.  I was using the
robots that the game included.  Any help would be appreciated.
					Thank,
					Jerry

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (02/22/90)

In article <1990Feb21.171531.7257@csusac.csus.edu> cs03513@athena.UUCP (Jerry Garcia) writes:

>	I recently got CRobots from an FTP site.  The problem occurs
>after I load all the robots and the actual war starts.  After about 3
>seconds my machine guru's.  GOMF 1.0 catches and say's unaligned word or
>address.  But the machine still guru's with the 0009.  I was using the
>robots that the game included.  Any help would be appreciated.

	You don't say if it was one of my versions of CRobots, but since you
say you got it recently, I can probobly assume it was. If it is the text-only
version, about the only thing I can think of is to check your stack. Make
sure it is about 30-40k. If you have version 2.1 (The first one with graphics)
it might also be the stack, but there are also some serious bugs in the new
graphics routines themselves. I would suggest you get the latest version
(2.2) which I recently posted to Tad Guy, and which should show up soon.
The new version corrects all the reported bugs, and should work much better
on machines with small amounts of memory free. If you have only 512k, I
can gaurantee you that the older version 2.1 will NOT work on your machine.
It tries to open 2 custom windows at the same time, and there just
isn't enough memory. The new version first closes the compile window, and
then opens the battle window. This is slightly slower, but may allow it
to run on a 512k machine.
	If you don't see the new version of CRobots on the net soon, send me
email and I will be happy to send it to you.

					Dave

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (02/23/90)

I've got the same problem of Crobots 2.1w guruing on me in about three
seconds.  GOMF3.0 catches it, but doesn't recover properly even if
I whamp the Crobots display.   Funny thing is if I pull down the
workbench screen, the robots are still moving on the Crobots grid.
Oh, I'm running Crobots on a 2000 with the fatter agnus: i.e. 1meg chip
and 0meg free.  I'll have to try the make fast mem program I have...
--
John  M.  Adams    --*--    Professional Student on the six-year plan!     //
Internet:  jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu \\ //

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (02/23/90)

	Someone else reported this, but I was never able to get it to
occur (GURU occuring, but CRobots continuing to run). About the only thing
I can guess is that some outside program was getting stomped on by a bug
in 2.1 that blew out part of location $0 sometimes (Use Memwatch to verify
this). The solution? Try and get version 2.2 of CRobots, which does not
do this.

			Dave