[comp.sys.amiga] SDB 5.0 question

lindwall@beowulf.ucsd.edu (John Lindwall) (02/21/90)

Has Manx improved the user interface to the new 5.0 version of SDB?
Does it have menus? (I still can't beleive they left these out!)
Does it have gadgets to perform stepping?  Can you set breakpoints by
clicking on a line w/the mouse?  What improvements have been made?

John Lindwall

John Lindwall			lindwall@cs.ucsd.edu

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (02/21/90)

In article <1113@dialogic.UUCP> gerry@pencilbox.UUCP (Gerry Lachac) writes:
>I haven't used my new SDB since I got it, except for flipping throught
>the manual.  The user interface is the same (according to the manual).
>Simple 2 letter commands for everything, no menus, no gadgets, etc.
>Personally, I think this *stinks* considering MANX had well over a
>year to improve it.  At least it supports floating point math now.

Well, I guess someone has to defend Manx.  I LIKE SDB's interface.  When I'm
debugging, the last thing I want to have to do is choose a menu item or
open a cheesey window to do it.  I want to type in a simple command and
have it executed.  SDB does well in this regard...CPR I can tolerate, but
I don't care for...MultiScope under OS/2 is particularly horrendous, but its
power as compared to CodeView makes me use it.  (Neither of them is nearly as
flexible as either CPR or SDB.  The Amiga's development environment is a
joy to use compared to MessyDOS'.)

Now that Manx has started using the standard Amiga object file format, does
this mean I will be able to debug code produced by Lattice with SDB and code
produced by Manx with CPR?  I hope so...can someone clarify this for me?

Just my 1.5 cents' worth.

 -Chris
-----
Chris Lang    University of Michigan, College of Engineering
home: 4622 Bursley             work: National Center for Manufacturing Sciences
      Ann Arbor, MI  48109           900 Victors Way, Suite 226
      (313) 763-1832                 Ann Arbor, MI  48108
chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu          (313) 995-0300
"I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson

gerry@pencilbox.uucp (Gerry Lachac) (02/21/90)

In article <7875@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> lindwall@beowulf.UCSD.EDU (John Lindwall) writes:
>Has Manx improved the user interface to the new 5.0 version of SDB?
>Does it have menus? (I still can't beleive they left these out!)
>Does it have gadgets to perform stepping?  Can you set breakpoints by
>clicking on a line w/the mouse?  What improvements have been made?

I haven't used my new SDB since I got it, except for flipping throught
the manual.  The user interface is the same (according to the manual).
Simple 2 letter commands for everything, no menus, no gadgets, etc.
Personally, I think this *stinks* considering MANX had well over a
year to improve it.  At least it supports floating point math now.

uunet!dialogic!gerry   | "Even a dead plant turns  |	Dialogic Corporation
	OR	       |  over a new leaf 	   |	300 Littleton Rd
gerry@dialogic.UUCP    |  when the wind blows."	   |	Parsippany, NJ 07054
		       |  			   |	(201)334-1268 X193

rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) (02/23/90)

How about a watch window like Microsoft's CodeView or Borland's Turbo-C.
Did they put anything like that in?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, a watch window is a window
displaying contents of variables that you specify.  It is updated cotinually.
It is very usefull when you are trying to locate where a variable takes on
the wrong value, or when doing things like debugging linked list routines.
When I'm stepping through a program that uses linked lists, I would much
rather have a window that is constantly displaying p->name and p->next than
to have to type "ps p->name" and "p p->next" (or use command line history)
every time I'm interested in their values.

Rich Champeaux                       PLT:  The plotter device for the Amiga!
rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu           Ask for it at your neighborhood FTP site!

"It's never too late to do nothing at all."

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (02/23/90)

In article <8123@hubcap.clemson.edu> rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) writes:
>How about a watch window like Microsoft's CodeView or Borland's Turbo-C.
>Did they put anything like that in?

Lattice CodeProbe has this.  CPR also has watchbreaks, also known as
data break points.    Very handy for catching "You just stomped
low memory" errors.          -- Darren

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (02/23/90)

In article <8123@hubcap.clemson.edu> rchampe@hubcap.UUCP (Richard Champeaux) writes:
>How about a watch window like Microsoft's CodeView or Borland's Turbo-C.
>Did they put anything like that in?

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a watch window in SDB 5.0.  Boy,
you would think that they would put something like that in SDB.  Having
only browsed the manual I can't see that there is anything new that has
been added to SDB 5.0 except the compiler option being changed.

I suppose we will have to live with it.

--
 Bill Murphy                          murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu
Enjoying my Amiga 2000, but holding out for a real computer: The Amiga 3000!!