[comp.sys.amiga] IBM terminal emulators

gregm@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Greg Mumm) (02/23/90)

A local businessman is trying to connect his Amiga (at home)
with his IBM (at his store). The IBM keeps track of purchases,
timecards, etc.. The IBM program also allows a romote login.

Here's the problem: the program on the IBM only accepts two terminal
types--VT950 or VT925...so the VT100v2.8 emulator that I gave to
him won't let him communicate with the IBM. Does anyone know where
he can get an Amiga terminal program that emulates one of these
terminal types? If it's public domain can you supply a ftp site?
If it's commercial can you send me the company address? THANKS.

Internet: gregm@csd4.csd.uwm.edu     Bitnet: gregm%csd4.csd.uwm.edu@INTERBIT
Uucp: uunet!gregm@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   Name  : Greg Mumm

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (02/24/90)

[Line eater? What line e

In article <2554@uwm.edu> gregm@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Greg Mumm) writes:
>Here's the problem: the program on the IBM only accepts two terminal
>types--VT950 or VT925...
        ^^^^^    ^^^^^

     I do not believe that DEC's VT series has numbers this large.
However, TeleVideo (TV) DOES (or maybe did) have those numbers;
TeleVideo 925 and TeleVideo 950.
     I don't know what a TV925 is (never seen one) but you might
try any of the following emulations (assuming you can find them);
they may _not_ be compatible, but at least they emulate terminals
made by the same manufacturer...
     ADM 3A (Televideo clone; I've seen emulators for it. Yes, an
emulator for an emulator...)
     TeleVideo 910+ (Otherwise known as the TVI910p or TVI910+)
(This is that terminal being emulated by the ADM3A, I >THINK<. Not
sure.)
                                                 - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti | Editor, LOW ORBIT | PLink: Skywise | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | phoenix%ms.uky.edu@ukcc.bitnet |

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (02/24/90)

In article <2554@uwm.edu> gregm@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Greg Mumm) writes:

>A local businessman is trying to connect his Amiga (at home)
>with his IBM (at his store). The IBM keeps track of purchases,
>timecards, etc.. The IBM program also allows a romote login.
>
>Here's the problem: the program on the IBM only accepts two terminal
>types--VT950 or VT925...so the VT100v2.8 emulator that I gave to
        ^^       ^^
>him won't let him communicate with the IBM. Does anyone know where
>he can get an Amiga terminal program that emulates one of these
>terminal types? If it's public domain can you supply a ftp site?
>If it's commercial can you send me the company address? THANKS.

What you want is a TV925 or TV950 emulator.
                   ^^       ^^
TV stands for TeleVideo.

Sorry I cant get one for you, but I thought I would let you know
 what to ask for. :-)

--
"This ain't Rock 'N Roll, |  These be my words, not my employer's!
 this is Genocide!"       |Dave Lowrey - Amdahl Corp. - Houston, TX

mmaston@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Maston) (02/24/90)

In article <14291@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:

>     I do not believe that DEC's VT series has numbers this large.
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually DEC just recently released the VT1000 (yes, that is 1000) which is
their DECWindows/XWindows terminal.  You are right, though, I have never
seen anything in the 900's.

>--
>| R'ykandar Korra'ti | Editor, LOW ORBIT | PLink: Skywise | CIS 72406,370 |
>| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | phoenix%ms.uky.edu@ukcc.bitnet |

Mike

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (02/24/90)

In article <2554@uwm.edu>, gregm@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Greg Mumm) writes:

> A local businessman is trying to connect his Amiga (at home)
> with his IBM (at his store). The IBM keeps track of purchases,
> timecards, etc.. The IBM program also allows a romote login.
>
> Here's the problem: the program on the IBM only accepts two terminal
> types--VT950 or VT925...so the VT100v2.8 emulator that I gave to
> him won't let him communicate with the IBM. Does anyone know where
> he can get an Amiga terminal program that emulates one of these
> terminal types? If it's public domain can you supply a ftp site?
> If it's commercial can you send me the company address? THANKS.

I think that you mean TV950 or TV925, terminals from TeleVideo.
They were pretty common terminals in use with Z80 (CP/M) machines.

There was a terminal emulator that included the Televideo series
in the Gizmoz package of utilities from Digital Creations.
Gizmoz is an "old" package, and I don't know if it is even being
sold.  You might advertise for a used copy of the package; I
don't think that I would buy it new even at cheap mail order
prices.

I think that it was a terminal emulator and nothing more (no
Xmodem, etc.)

You might inquire about the terminal emulation capabilities of
Atalk-III.  I don't know of a PD televideo emulator.

Ken
--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (02/25/90)

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:

>     TeleVideo 910+ (Otherwise known as the TVI910p or TVI910+)
>(This is that terminal being emulated by the ADM3A, I >THINK<. Not
>sure.)

You sure aren't.  The ADM3A was manufactured (by Lear) years before
Televideo even existed.  It was the first low-cost terminal (originally
available as a kit, if you wanted), and wildly popular.  If the TV910
has the same command set as the ADM3A, then it, not the ADM, is the
one doing the emulation.
--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.usa