[comp.sys.amiga] IFF2PS source available??

morganmw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Mike Morgan,WCKN TV,2652073,2683710) (02/23/90)

To make a long problem short (maybe), what I'm trying to do is convert IFF
type files to PostScript - My first instinct was to get the program Iff2ps
off the infamous Fish disks (#94, I believe)...Problem...My pathway into
my Amiga through the net is through two other unix based computers. That's
where one of my problems exists. My Amiga's version of Kermit (probably
really outdated) doesn't seem to transfer properly from my Unix system
and so I wind up with a "non-object module" error when I try to run the
IFF2PS program on the Amiga. Text transfers w/ no problem, but those binary
files (even when I set file type binary on both sides of kermit) don't seem
to transfer properly.

So basically, what I'm trying to do is locate the source code for IFF2PS,
so I can transfer the code to my Amiga, compile it, then the resulting
files will be text (postscript) and they can be transferred to the unix
system that can access our laser printers.

I hope that all made sense.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this brave feat?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
(morganmw@clutx.clarkson.edu)

ecarroll@vax1.tcd.ie (02/24/90)

In article <1990Feb23.065337.7536@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>,
morganmw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Mike Morgan,WCKN TV,2652073,2683710) writes:

> To make a long problem short (maybe), what I'm trying to do is convert IFF
> type files to PostScript - My first instinct was to get the program Iff2ps
> off the infamous Fish disks (#94, I believe)...Problem...My pathway into
> my Amiga through the net is through two other unix based computers. That's
> where one of my problems exists. My Amiga's version of Kermit (probably
> really outdated) doesn't seem to transfer properly from my Unix system
> and so I wind up with a "non-object module" error when I try to run the
> IFF2PS program on the Amiga. Text transfers w/ no problem, but those binary
> files (even when I set file type binary on both sides of kermit) don't seem
> to transfer properly.

Why not just uuencode Iff2ps at the unix side, download it as a text file,
then uudecode at the Amiga side? uudecode for the Amiga is available on Fish
Disk #92. Of course, if you need to transfer THAT from the Unix system as
well, you run into trouble (but at least the source code for uudecode is also
available).
--
Eddy Carroll             ----* Genuine MUD Wizard  | "You haven't lived until
INTER: ecarroll@vax1.tcd.ie                        |    you've died in MUD!"

gsarff@sarek.UUCP (Gary Sarff) (02/26/90)

In article <1990Feb23.065337.7536@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, morganmw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Mike Morgan,WCKN TV,2652073,2683710) writes:
>To make a long problem short (maybe), what I'm trying to do is convert IFF
>type files to PostScript - My first instinct was to get the program Iff2ps
>off the infamous Fish disks (#94, I believe)...Problem...My pathway into
>my Amiga through the net is through two other unix based computers. That's
>where one of my problems exists. My Amiga's version of Kermit (probably
>really outdated) doesn't seem to transfer properly from my Unix system
>and so I wind up with a "non-object module" error when I try to run the
>IFF2PS program on the Amiga. Text transfers w/ no problem, but those binary
>files (even when I set file type binary on both sides of kermit) don't seem
>to transfer properly.
>
>So basically, what I'm trying to do is locate the source code for IFF2PS,
>so I can transfer the code to my Amiga, compile it, then the resulting
>files will be text (postscript) and they can be transferred to the unix
>system that can access our laser printers.

If anyone (the author) has the source, it needs to be fixed before you use
it, because it has a slight problem converting ham files.  When the generated
postscript files are printed there will, on some of them, be short streaks
down the left margin on some scan lines.  This is because of a flaw in the
algorithm used, one I made myself when first attempting my own ham-RGB bitmap
conversion program.  I had thought that the first pixel on each scan line
must be an absolute color, i.e. a color register number with no HAM bits
turned on, when in fact, it _can_ be a HAM color, it is interpreted as a
modification of the color-0 color, which is between the rightmost pixel on
the previous scanline and the leftmost pixel on the current scanline.  If
this interpretation is not used, you get streaks.  Hopefully the author, or
someone with the source can fix iff2ps, since it is a very useful program, at
least for me, and should be fixed.  If you get the source let me know, I'd
fix it myself, it is a _very_ minor fix probably only a line or two of code
at the most.

                       I _DON'T_ live for the leap!