[comp.sys.amiga] Educ. Discounts--how is CBM passing the word??

okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay, S J) (02/20/90)

I realize most net.people are getting a little tired of all the educational
discount messages, but I have a genuine question and not merely another
repost request or series of whinings to vent, so please spare me any flames.

I called the 800 # for my 'nearest authorized dealer' and was happily surprised
when I got the name of Diskcovery Software, about 10 minutes from home,
as being my N.A.D.

However, when I got there, I asked them if they had any of the forms to fill
out, and got a look back from the salesdroid on duty which seemed to ask if said
forms were anything remotely similar to a cheese sandwich.

To make a long story short, they didn't have any and weren't participating,
primarily because they hadn't heard word one about it from CBM. A hardcopy of
one of the C.S.A. postings didn't help much each 'cause it didn't have the
familiar little blue and red 'C=' atop it.

So, in light of all this, how is CBM informing dealers of the program???
---Can I get some sent to these people? What are the exact mechanisms for
a dealer becoming involved in it?  The guys who looked at the printout I had
said it sounded like a real good deal, and appeared interested, so I was
wondering if somebody from CBM or a participiating dealer could field this
question...We all know what the end user has to do, but something about dealer
involvement/responsibilities would be greatly appreciated.

My friends and I won't be getting bundles, so the time left on the
line-item purchase plans is getting smaller all the time and we'd like
to not have to wait until the eleventh hour to pass the word and then
be able to order our stuff...

Thanks,
---Steve
-------------
Stephen Okay
OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG   Technical Aide, The MITRE Corporation
					"Never let reality stand in the way
					 of a good media campaign"

Claimer:Yes, you're right, these are *MY* opinions

oliver@johnson.cs.unc.edu (Bill Oliver) (02/22/90)

In article <11663@baldrick.udel.EDU> okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay, S J) writes:

>However, when I got there, I asked them if they had any of the forms to fill
>out, and got a look back from the salesdroid on duty which seemed to
>ask if said
>forms were anything remotely similar to a cheese sandwich.
>
>To make a long story short, they didn't have any and weren't participating,
>primarily because they hadn't heard word one about it from CBM. A hardcopy of
>one of the C.S.A. postings didn't help much each 'cause it didn't have the
>familiar little blue and red 'C=' atop it.
>
>So, in light of all this, how is CBM informing dealers of the program???

It may not be Commodore's fault.  I have been trying to get to a dealer which
has the educational discount and have had a few problems.  There are only
three dealers within 100 miles of me.  The first two are about 30 miles
away, and the third is about 50 miles away.

I went to the first dealer -- the software extension of B. Dalton's bookstore.
They were aware of the program, but were not participating.

I went to the second dealer -- a place called Digitz.  They were participating,
but the salesman was a complete incompetent who knew nothing about the
Amiga hardware, nothing about the software available -- and insisted on
charging *above* list price ($475 for C++?  No, thanks),
certainly knew nothing about computer science, and was obviously
much more interested in selling PC clones to business customers.
They wanted to charge $45 to install a second
internal 3.5 inch drive.  I still would have dealt with them (though
I would have bought my software somewhere else), but one of the
managers made the mistake of performing some sort of sexist insulting
behavior towards my fiance (I wasn't there to see it), and to keep
peace in my family I promised not to deal with them --

Her: "You are NOT going to give $5000 of *our* hard-earned money to those
bastards!"

Me:" Yes, dear."

So, I called the place in Burlington, named Servatronic Technologies.
The guy there was great -- he charges almost-mail-order for software,
will install the internal drive for free, and seems to know his stuff.
*But* when I first called him, the conversation ran something like

Him: "Servatronics, may I help you."

Me:"Yes, I'm interested in buying an Amiga 2500/30 bundle on the educational
discount plan, and a fair amount of programming/utilities software.
Are you participating in the program, and do you take University
purchase orders?"

Him:"Oh yeah, the educational discount.  I think I remember Commodore sent me
something about that a while ago.  They had a bunch of papers they
wanted me to fill out, and I'm not sure I ever got around to it.
I don't know if I am participating or not.  Let me call Commodore
and see what the scoop is.  I'll call you back this evening."

Sure enough, he called back, and said that he could do it for me, but
that he only had the original application form that Commodore sent him.
He would make some copies the next day, and mail them to me.  I'm
still waiting, but it`s only been two days -- well within mail delay
around here.

Thus, the mall-store wasn't interested, the only place
that *was* actively participating was an obvious
it's-OK-to-overcharge-because-it's-a-tax-writeoff/grant-and-not-
real-money kind of place, and the third place, which seems pretty
cool as a local "family" dealer, had never bothered to send in the
paperwork.  I'd be willing to bet that your dealer was informed, but
just never bothered to follow through on it.

Bill Oliver

GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (02/26/90)

On 20 Feb 90 14:12:08 GMT you said:

[Stuff deleted]

>To make a long story short, they didn't have any and weren't participating,
>primarily because they hadn't heard word one about it from CBM. A hardcopy of
>one of the C.S.A. postings didn't help much each 'cause it didn't have the
>familiar little blue and red 'C=' atop it.

     I went to a dealer in my area and they never heard of it before either.
 I have a few friends in college that are just looking for an excuse to buy
 an Amiga.

>Thanks,
>---Steve
>Stephen Okay
>OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG   Technical Aide, The MITRE Corporation
>					"Never let reality stand in the way
>					 of a good media campaign"
>
>Claimer:Yes, you're right, these are *MY* opinions

/*  "Come see the violence inherent in the system!"

      F. Michael Theilig  -  The University of Rhode Island at Little Rest
                            GWO110 at URIACC.Bitnet

                                        "Help!  Help!  I'm being Repressed!" */