[comp.sys.amiga] Phasar

okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay, S J) (02/26/90)

>From: portuesi%tweezers.esd.sgi.com%mwunix@mwvm.mitre.org
>To:  okay@tafs (OKAY at TAFS)
>Subject: Phasar 3.0 (was Re: Software Antics vs Amigo Times)

[Various problems with Pha$ar and the MS-DROSS interface]

>To summarize, the program may do what I'm looking for, but the
>interface is simply so annoying I can't use it.  I feel like I wasted
>$14.95 on the program.  I certainly won't give Antic the $18.45 for
>the manual, or the $39.95 for the upgrade to Phasar 4.0.  I'll
>probably opt for Desktop Budget or write my own program instead.
>
>Programs like Phasar make me wish I owned a Macintosh, whose software
>architecture doesn't permit the user to produce emulations of MS-DOS
>human-interface disasters.

Hmmm.....even after that horror story, I'm afraid I'd still prefer my Amiga.
Personally, I don't like any computer system that "Doesn't allow" me to do
something in terms of programming. I've always found the "trust the programmer,
he knows what he's doing" philosophy to be the best.  Granted, with this kind
of an environment, you will have things that are just waiting to be hacked and
abused, but you will ultimately be better off. I've encountered many situations
where the one solution that I really needed to use "wasn't allowed".

>                --M
>--
>__  Michael Portuesi    Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
>\/  portuesi@sgi.com    Entry Systems Division -- Engineering
>
>    "I'm still waiting"
Stephen Okay
OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG   Technical Aide, The MITRE Corporation
					"Never let reality stand in the way
					 of a good media campaign"

Disclaimer:Yes, you're right, these are *MY* opinions