[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga BUS ---fast enough for UNIX?

okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay, S J) (02/26/90)

>From: "William G. Hutchison" <ubbpc!wgh>
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware

>To: amiga-relay@udel.edu
>Sender: amiga-relay-request@udel.edu
>

> I am interested in the new Amiga UNIX system, which was shown at last year's
>Unix Expo in New York.
> Are these busses fast enough to support graphics-intensive applications like
>the X Window system?
>
> Datapro further says that the Amiga screen is 768x480 pixels (if I remember
>correctly).  Will the Unix system have more resolution for X Windows?
> Most X Window System servers have 1024x768 or 1280x1024 resolution.

The A2500UX I saw at UniForum didn't seem to have any troubles keeping up
or keeping itself together.... It was using a Moniterm 1280x800 monochrome
and running the X demos plus had a regular UNIX shell window popped up as well.
The other 2500UX there  was participating in a demo with 10 other UNIX boxes.
A train was going across the screen of of UNIX machines' monitor and then
as cars disappeared off the left side of the screen on one side, they would
re-appear on the next machine in the line.  The 2500UX seemed to be keeping up
pretty well, and even doing better than some of the others at times.

To me this sounds like it would be more than capable of "keeping up" and that
they are fast enough to be useful as true UNIX workstations.

(A quick side note, on the one running X, the "X eyes" demo where the eyes
follow the cursor, the eyes seemed to blink a bit when the window was more than
an inch or so across. I have a feeling that this is due to the fact that there
were about 6 other windows running on the machine at the same time in addition
to the UNIX shell window.)

>  Thanks!
>
>--
>Bill Hutchison, DP Consultant	rutgers!cbmvax!burdvax!ubbpc!wgh
>Unisys UNIX Portation Center	"Unless you are very rich and very eccentric,
>P.O. Box 500, M.S. B121         you will not enjoy the luxury of a computer
>Blue Bell, PA 19424		in your own home", Edward Yourdon, 1975.
Stephen Okay
OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG   Technical Aide, The MITRE Corporation
					"Never let reality stand in the way
					 of a good media campaign"

Disclaimer:Yes, you're right, these are *MY* opinions