[comp.sys.amiga] Partition Size

Hartupee.Pasa@xerox.com (02/20/90)

I have a 40 Mb hard drive connected to a harddisk controller on the
bridgeboard side of my 2000. I have it divided into 2 20Mb partitions. One
partition for the IBM side and one for the Amiga side.
I am about to add a Maxtor 190 MB drive to the other half of the disk
controller. My question is, how big a partition can I have. Can I use the
whole 190 MB on the Amiga, or am I limited to 32 MB like I am for an IBM PC
partition.

Ken

steveb@cbmvax.commodore.com (Steve Beats) (02/22/90)

In article <11655@baldrick.udel.EDU> Hartupee.Pasa@xerox.com writes:
>I am about to add a Maxtor 190 MB drive to the other half of the disk
>controller. My question is, how big a partition can I have. Can I use the
>whole 190 MB on the Amiga, or am I limited to 32 MB like I am for an IBM PC

It depends which filing system you are using.  If you are using the old slow
filing system then the parition size limit is about 53Meg.  This is due to a
bug in that filing system.  If you are using FFS then the limit is 2.4 Gb, so
you can use the whole disk for Amiga without any problems.  Some of the very
early versions of FFS had a bug where any parition over 300Mb would validate
after each reset or power on.  I don`t think these versions are in circulation
anymore, but you won`t hit this problem with 190Mb anyway.

--
  _________________
 / __	    __	   \	Commodore/Amiga Inc.	|       This space left

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (02/23/90)

In article <11655@baldrick.udel.EDU> Hartupee.Pasa@xerox.com writes:
>My question is, how big a partition can I have. Can I use the
>whole 190 MB on the Amiga, or am I limited to 32 MB like I am for an IBM PC
>partition.

Yeah, darn it, the Amiga has this really limiting hard drive partition size.
Drives me bonkers every time.. :)
It's somewhere around 2gigabytes -- Don't lose any sleep :) :) :)

					-Dave
David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
"Think you can, think you can't -- either way it's true."  Henry Ford

871579l@aucs.uucp ( Todd) (02/23/90)

In article <11655@baldrick.udel.EDU> Hartupee.Pasa@xerox.com writes:
>I am about to add a Maxtor 190 MB drive to the other half of the disk
>controller. My question is, how big a partition can I have. Can I use the
>whole 190 MB on the Amiga, or am I limited to 32 MB like I am for an IBM PC
>partition.
>
>Ken

I think the limit is 330 MB with 1.3 and 660 MB with 1.3.2
I could be wrong, but deffinately you can have a 190 MB in any Amiga
version.

-Todd

Dickson@system-m.phx.bull.com (Paul Dickson) (02/26/90)

 > I have a 40 Mb hard drive connected to a harddisk controller on the
 > bridgeboard side of my 2000.  I have it divided into 2 20Mb partitions.
 > One partition for the IBM side and one for the Amiga side.  I am about
 > to add a Maxtor 190 MB drive to the other half of the disk controller.
 > My question is, how big a partition can I have.  Can I use the whole 190
 > MB on the Amiga, or am I limited to 32 MB like I am for an IBM PC
 > partition.

If you use the Fast File System on the partition you are limited to
about 2 Gigabytes (some limit!  I wish I had a problem with it).  But if
you are going to use the Old File System, you are limited to partitions
less than 50 MB.

One advantage of partitioning up the drive is that if you have a system
crash while writing to the disk, you don't have to spend as much time
recovering from it.  But I've never had a problem (yet).

          -Paul Dickson

Dickson @ System-M.Phx.Bull.Com