[comp.sys.amiga] New LHARC with problems

davids@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) (02/24/90)

I was looking through the /incoming/amiga directory at xanth when I ran
across a file named LhA99a.lzh.  It turned out to be a new file compressor,
using the same compression schemes and compatible with LHARC.  The author
claims it is twice as fast as LHARC.  I have, however, not been able to
verify this as the program's interface has stopped me cold.  First, it
is fully intuitionized.  No command line option, no scripts, no ARexx pot.
This is, IMHO, not a good thing, but it is compounded by the fact that
the gadgets that the program uses are located at the bottom of the screen.
A PAL sized screen, which I cannot reach because I have an NTSC 2000 with a
1080 that can't handle PAL resolution.  Furthermore, requestors that ask
you "Are you sure?" before you exit open so that their gadgets are below the
screen boundry on my machine, i.e. I can't quit out of it!!!.  Grrrrrrr!

The man who wrote this program, Stefan Boberg, doesn't include an e-mail
address, so I can't reach him (unless I want to send regular mail to Sweden).
He also doesn't include source, so I can't fix it to work on my machine, or
add an ARexx port (although this is probably because pre-release version of
the program).  If someone reading the net knows Mr. Boberg, can you send me
his e-mail address (if he has one), or at least pass on my reacton to his
program.  If you can't get him to change anything, at least get him to include
the source in the final release so that others can do it for him.  I'd really
like a faster version of LHARC, but in this form it isn't usable.

The name of the program, by the way, is LhArcA V0.99a.

--
Dave Schreiber                        The blue leprechaun
at davids@slugmail.ucsc.edu (prefered but flakey)

grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) (02/27/90)

In article <6836@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, davids@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) writes:
> I was looking through the /incoming/amiga directory at xanth when I ran
> across a file named LhA99a.lzh.  It turned out to be a new file compressor,
> the gadgets that the program uses are located at the bottom of the screen.
> A PAL sized screen, which I cannot reach because I have an NTSC 2000 with a
> 1080 that can't handle PAL resolution.  Furthermore, requestors that ask

Funny, I got that and it isn't PAL on my machine.  I have an NTSC A500 and
LhArcA works fine and IS faster than Lharc.  Another case of the classic
acronym, WOKOMS.  (Works OK on my system!)  But, don't knock it before you're
sure it's not just your system.

\/ Reality: Steve Snodgrass  |"Volts embodied intent, and Amps were the  \/
/\  -^-^- Cyberspace -^-^-   | runners who carried out those intentions, /\
\/ GRX1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu| against the Ohms." -Gregory Benford, ToL  \/
/\ GRX1042@uoft02.BITNET     | Sleep is a luxury, spare time a myth. -me /\
\/ uoft02::GRX1042 (DECnet)  | Recumbent Amigas - the only way to hack.  \/