[comp.sys.amiga] DiskSalv 1.42 problem.

BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Binoy James. Membership has it's privil) (02/26/90)

Hi folks,

I have a one meg (all chip) Amiga 2000 and am trying to use Disksalv
1.42.  However, every attempt results in an

           'out of memory'

error!  What is going on?  I tried the 'lomem' option and it got a
little further and then gave up with the same message.  Also at the
start it asks for the directory I invoke the program from.

Command issued with Workbench1.3 in df0: and disksalv disk in df1:

df1:disksalv df0: df1:

It asks for the disksalv disk three times and then comes up with the
'Should I continue [Y]?' message.  Hitting <RET> spins the disk for a
little while and then comes up with 'Error, out of memory'.

Then I tried the following:

df1:disksalv df0: df1: lomem

It did the above, then it started with files and the salvaging and then
again gave out of memory error.

I'm really desperate and getting tired of diskdoctor and 'lazarus'

Thanks.
Bin

cs121jj@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/27/90)

What's wrong with 'lazarus'?  It's not a virus, but just a new name for that
restored disk?  Anyways, it'll get back some files...well it's better than
nothing.

In article <12216@baldrick.udel.EDU> BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Binoy James.  Membership has it's privil) writes:
>Hi folks,

>I have a one meg (all chip) Amiga 2000 and am trying to use Disksalv
>1.42.  However, every attempt results in an

>           'out of memory'

Hmm, let's see here.  The V1.40 DiskSalv has a bug in the memory allocator
that causes an out of memory trap on rare occasions in which you still
have memory.  But V1.42 is supposedly bug free in that area.  I'll see if
I can reproduce this somehow.

>Command issued with Workbench1.3 in df0: and disksalv disk in df1:

>df1:disksalv df0: df1:

>It asks for the disksalv disk three times and then comes up with the
>'Should I continue [Y]?' message.  Hitting <RET> spins the disk for a
>little while and then comes up with 'Error, out of memory'.

You are, technically, doing incorrect things here.  When DiskSalv takes
over an input disk, it inhibits DOS from that disk in order to keep any
DOS task from changing things.  This is what DiskSalv should do, but if
that input disk happens to also be your SYS: disk, lots of things will
get confused.  If you must salvage from the same drive as your SYS:
disk, try the NODOS option.  What I recommend as a general recovery
setup:

[1] Build a basic, bootable WorkBench disk, and put DiskSalv in the C:
    directory. Also copy any MountList entries to the Devs:MountList on
    that floppy.

[2] When something dies, boot with this new disk.  If you want to recover
    between floppies, run "DiskSalv DF1: DF0:" or whatever.  You want to
    keep the system disk device uninhibited, let DiskSalv take over your
    secondary disk.  If you only have one disk, but lots of RAM:, copy
    this floppy into RAM:, point the system at your ramdisk, and then
    "DiskSalv DF0: RAM:".

By the time DiskSalv is at the "Should I continue [Y]" prompt, it has located
everything it wants to know about in the system.  DiskSalv likes to locate
the Format command, which it searches for in the current directory, the
"SYS:System" directory, and the "C:" directory.  It also wants to locate
the Disk-Validator, which it looks for in the "L:" directory.

>Then I tried the following:

>df1:disksalv df0: df1: lomem

>It did the above, then it started with files and the salvaging and then
>again gave out of memory error.

I guess the other thing to check is your memory supply.  I haven't been
able to find a situation on a 512K machine in which there's insufficient
memory for recovery between floppies, but this is also assuming a very
empty system.  Things in the background can always complicate matters.

>Thanks.
>Bin

As always, if it's one specific floppy that's causing trouble, I'll fix
DiskSalv as quickly as possible to recover that floppy.  Presuming you
can send me a copy that breaks in the same way.
--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough