[comp.sys.amiga] 2630 Real world reports SUMMARY

okay@tafs.mitre.org (Okay, S J) (02/27/90)

Okay, well, its been a few weeks since I posted my request for real-world
2630 experiences, and since i haven't gotten any more responses, I figured
it was time for a summary (The ratio of "Send me what you find out" vs.
"heres what happened to me" was about 10:1,
so I figured a summary was probably a good idea).From those that did proffer
their experiences, it seems like the general consensus was that while the
GVP and similar boards may be faster, they aren't nearly as stable as the
2630, so I think I *AM* going for the CBM board.

Thanks to everybody who contributed, it always helps to get "field reports"
as opposed to just having the "spin" put out by the press to go on.

------------CUT HERE---------CUT HERE---------------CUT HERE----------------

Viet Ho had this to say:

>Well, I don't particularly own one, but I have had experience
>with the other boards on the market (GVP3001 &Hurricane030) and know
>someone in Arizona who has all three and prefers the 2630 for its
>stability.     The 2630 is about the most rock-solid board out there
>(in terms of crashing), but a slight sacrifice in speed.  The GVP
>clocks in at around 10.52  (@25Mhz) and the A2630 runs around
>8 on the CPU_Speed benchmark program (that's 8x the speed of a
>normal amiga 68000 which is =1 ).
>    From my experience with the GVP, it crashed quite often on
>various applications  and even 020 geared software.   For instance
>in the middle of a complex ray-trace it would hang.   It was
>FAST, but not worth the instability.
>    With some modification to the A2630, the guy in Arizona go it
>up to 10 on the CPU_Speed (You can also pluck in 33Mhz parts to
>rev here up even faster).
>    As for the Hurricane, it is rocksolid once you get it up and
>going and is about as fast (a tad bit faster maybe) as the GVP
>board.
>
>    I think the 2630 is a good buy, how much is it for students???
>
>                                       -Viet
>                                         vho@ucsd.edu

Terry SmallWood replied:

From: TERRY SMALLWOOD <canremote!terry.smallwood>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Re: A2630...real world report

Hi Steve,
I have the 2630 board installed and working (finally - after two bouts
with shorts due to grease under the chip sockets) and am VERY pleased
with its operation. I've already added the extra 2Mb of fast RAM and am
getting about 7.6 MIPS out of the board. In real world terms that means
a significant increase in such things as (hard) disk I/O speed (more
than double) and a more than remarkable decrease in compile and render
times. Quite often I am downloading using BaudBandit, Zipping with
PKAzip, and reading files at the same time and I'd like to see someone
without an accelerator do all that without going mad.
In going from a 2620 to a 2630 I found that more programs worked rather
than fewer (I think C= learned a few things from their '020 board). As
an example Populous (which wouldn't even work with the 2620 disabled)
now works flawlessly.
Hope this helps.
Terry
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.2aR

From:	MTR780::WINS%"eapu030@orion.oac.uci.edu" 13-FEB-1990 17:07:19.17

I have had a A2630 for several weeks now.  When I first got it I was
amazed by the speed increase in every program I own.  Very quickly, however,
I became used to the /030 and now its not so much that the /030 seems
fast but that I just could never use a stock 68000 again.  Programs
like DTP, CAD, and RAY-Tracing are virtually amazing!  The only software
pakage I have found that didn't run is Turbo-Silver and the company is
working on it, by running from the CLI it works now, but its a
little sketchy.  Sculpt 4D works GREAT.  Also it makes a program like
lharc really shine.  Even Excellence! which I once thought was a dog
is now a very usuable word processor.

GoodLuck,

-Jason-

Stephen Okay
OKAY@TAFS.MITRE.ORG   Technical Aide, The MITRE Corporation
					"Never let reality stand in the way
					 of a good media campaign"

Disclaimer:Yes, you're right, these are *MY* opinions