[comp.sys.amiga] MSH v. Cross-Dos

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (02/24/90)

Let's see.  Cross-Dos.  $30, it comes in the mail, and it works.

MSH.  Free.  Your wife scowls at you for an hour while you download it.
When you try the msdos format command, you follow standard Amiga command
line syntax, which results in MSH reformatting your systems boot disk.
You switch to your backup, make a new working copy.  You put all the
right files in the right place, it doesn't work, you read c.s.a for awhile,
wizards are also having problems.  They suggest things, you try them,
eventually it seems to work.  Estimated trouble time over and above RTFMing,
3 hours.

You compare $30 to 3 hours in your life, and decide which is the better
deal.  Hey, I've seen C-D for sale used for $15.

I hope Cross-Dos remains viable as a commercial product.  MSH is fine.
I hope I can get it to work.  I receive pointless fiddling hobby-time
credits when I try to use it, but if I had work to do, I'd buy
Cross-Dos.

Hmmmm.  It occurs to me that I might be flaming.  Sorry.  I guess I am just
reacting to the statement that MSH will crush Cross-Dos.  I hope not.
Two is better than one.

                       lee

wahlmann@m.cs.uiuc.edu (02/24/90)

/* Written 10:51 am  Feb 23, 1990 by UH2@psuvm.psu.edu in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.amiga */
/* ---------- "MSH v. Cross-Dos" ---------- */

You compare $30 to 3 hours in your life, and decide which is the better
deal.  Hey, I've seen C-D for sale used for $15.

/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.amiga */

I bought it from Abel Supply for $17!  Heckuva deal!

-Jon Wahlmann

Jonathan R. Wahlmann		Dept. of Computer Science
(H) (217) 328-5176		University of Illinois - Urbana
(W) (217) 333-7408		wahlmann@cs.uiuc.edu

aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (Bellerophon) (02/26/90)

Obviously you are totally inept.

-=Andy=-

stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) (02/27/90)

wahlmann@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>>/* Written 10:51 am  Feb 23, 1990 by UH2@psuvm.psu.edu in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.amiga */

>>You compare $30 to 3 hours in your life, and decide which is the better
>>deal.  Hey, I've seen C-D for sale used for $15.

>I bought it from Abel Supply for $17!  Heckuva deal!

Just curious, does crossdos allow you to have both itself and the normal
amigados drivers resident at the same time on the same drive. ie -so you
can read either type of disk on one drive without having to swap drivers ?
This is a real question, not a rhetorical one. (MSH does by the way.)
stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu          CS-> | <-Ph
stevel@citiago  (Bitnet)               \|/               I DO ...
72335,1537      (Compuserve)            ?

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (02/27/90)

In article <90054.115113UH2@psuvm.psu.edu>, UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
> Let's see.  Cross-Dos.  $30, it comes in the mail, and it works.
>
> MSH.  Free.  Your wife scowls at you for an hour while you download it.
> When you try the msdos format command, you follow standard Amiga command
> line syntax, which results in MSH reformatting your systems boot disk.
> You switch to your backup, make a new working copy.  You put all the
> right files in the right place, it doesn't work, you read c.s.a for awhile,
> wizards are also having problems.  They suggest things, you try them,
> eventually it seems to work.  Estimated trouble time over and above RTFMing,
> 3 hours.

I certainly won't argue with our conslusion that two is better than one;
after all, for ages your only real options were PCUtils and DOS-2-DOS,
neither one of them a very friendly solution IMHO.  In the defence of
MSH, my install time to get it up and running was more on the order of
20 minutes. I certainly don't mean to imply that I'm "smarter" than you
 - maybe I just made a couple of right guesses where you made wrong ones.
I just wanted to mention this lest anyone imply from your message that
MSH doesn't work right - it did for me right off of the wire. I does
seem to have the strange characteristic of tagging everything that I
copy to the MS-DOS device as a "DIR", even if it's a file. Oddly
enough, this has no effect on my ability to read the file (or dir);
everything is tagged as a "dir" by dir or list, but files act like
files, and directories act like directories.  All in all I'd like to
thank the authors for a great contribution to the Amiga community; I've
felt such a product has been needed in the PD for a long time, and even
had hopes of writing such a critter myself, before becomeing hopelessly
lost in the TD_RAW... errors in trackdisk and convincing myself that my
hardware didn't work!......
   Scott Denham

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb26.200907.12371@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu> stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) writes:
>Just curious, does crossdos allow you to have both itself and the normal
>amigados drivers resident at the same time on the same drive. ie -so you
>can read either type of disk on one drive without having to swap drivers ?

Yes. If you have a different filesystem in the drive than what the
device you are requesting service to supports, you just get an error
message.

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

4223_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb26.200907.12371@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu>, stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) writes:
> Just curious, does crossdos allow you to have both itself and the normal
> amigados drivers resident at the same time on the same drive. ie -so you
> can read either type of disk on one drive without having to swap drivers ?
yes it does.

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb26.200907.12371@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu>, stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) writes:

> Just curious, does crossdos allow you to have both itself and the normal
> amigados drivers resident at the same time on the same drive. ie -so you
> can read either type of disk on one drive without having to swap drivers ?
> This is a real question, not a rhetorical one. (MSH does by the way.)

Yes, CrossDos also has this feature.  In fact, the two products are
very similar in features (though I've only used the "demo" one-way
version of CrossDos).  MSH looks good enough to me to cost CrossDos a
sale - I was going to buy it this week but now think I'll hold off since
MSH appears to give me 100% of the data transfer capability I need.

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (02/27/90)

	Yes, CrossDos allows you to have both driver active at the same time.
You can just eject the disk and pop in the new one, in either format, and
it will know what it is.

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb26.200907.12371@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu> stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) writes:
>Just curious, does crossdos allow you to have both itself and the normal
>amigados drivers resident at the same time on the same drive. ie -so you
>can read either type of disk on one drive without having to swap drivers ?
>This is a real question, not a rhetorical one. (MSH does by the way.)

	Yes, they do both exist at the same time. You can put a disk in drive
DF0: and refer to it as an AmigaDos disk (df0:) or a MS-Dos disk (a:). Popping
out a MS-Dos disk and then inserting an AmigaDos disk is an acceptable and
normal thing to do. I use it a lot to transfer programs from my Amiga to the
IBM pc at work (which is connected to the Sun workstation). This has been the
most painless way to get files from ftp sites & take them home.
					Terry

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (02/28/90)

From article <1990Feb26.200907.12371@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu>, by stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke):
> Just curious, does crossdos allow you to have both itself and the normal
> amigados drivers resident at the same time on the same drive. ie -so you
> can read either type of disk on one drive without having to swap drivers ?
> This is a real question, not a rhetorical one. (MSH does by the way.)

YES.  It's really handy when you have an unlabelled disk and don't remember
if it was (1) formatted with AmigaDOS, (2) formatted with MS-DOS, or (3)
not formatted.  If you insert a disk into df1: and AmigaDOS says it's bad
then CrossDOS will check di1: to see if it's an MS-DOS disk.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350