[comp.sys.amiga] A request - Amiga software for landscape design

stafford@soleil.UUCP (Bill Stafford) (02/17/90)

   I would like to use my Amiga to do landscape design and I would like
to hear opinions/recommendations of software that would allow me to do
any/all of the following:

1.  Create a 2-D 'blueprint' style display.  This display should be
    composed of a background upon which objects can be placed, labeled
    sized, moved etc.

2.  Create simple, e.g. wire frame, 3-D version of a blueprint.  I don't
    need the ability to create 3-D FROM 2-D, I just want to be able to
    view the design (actually show a customer) in a fairly realistic
    manner.  It's been my experience that blueprints are useless for
    conveying the 'feel' of a landscape design to anyone but other
    landscape designers.

3.  The ability to 'animate' 1 and/or 2 from above.  This animation would
    show the seasonal changes in the plant materials used in the design.
    For example, the fall foliage colors would replace summer green on
    trees used in the design.

   Thanks in advance for any help.  I will post a summary of the replies
   if anyone is interested.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[]    W.A.'BEEKY' STAFFORD            []  LuAnne, LuAnne                    []
[]    Harris Semiconductor            []  I know your heart don't love me,  []
[]    !rutgers!soleil!stafford        []  But the rest of you still can.    []
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

rln@metasoft.UUCP (Roberta Norin) (02/28/90)

In article <954@soleil.UUCP>, stafford@soleil.UUCP (Bill Stafford) writes:

>    I would like to use my Amiga to do landscape design and I would like
> to hear opinions/recommendations of software that would allow me to do
> any/all of the following:
>
> 1.  Create a 2-D 'blueprint' style display.  This display should be
>     composed of a background upon which objects can be placed, labeled
>     sized, moved etc.
>
> 2.  Create simple, e.g. wire frame, 3-D version of a blueprint.  I don't
>     need the ability to create 3-D FROM 2-D, I just want to be able to
>     view the design (actually show a customer) in a fairly realistic
>     manner.  It's been my experience that blueprints are useless for
>     conveying the 'feel' of a landscape design to anyone but other
>     landscape designers.
>
> 3.  The ability to 'animate' 1 and/or 2 from above.  This animation would
>     show the seasonal changes in the plant materials used in the design.
>     For example, the fall foliage colors would replace summer green on
>     trees used in the design.
>
>    Thanks in advance for any help.  I will post a summary of the replies
>    if anyone is interested.

There is a garden planning program for the Macintosh, called Mum's the
Word, which you might find very interesting if you have AMAX. It was
written up in the August 15, 1989 issue of MacWeek and the January,
1990 issue of Macworld.

It combines object-oriented graphics with a plant database which you
can add your own plants to. It lets you layout your garden with the
drawing tools, search for plants with specified characteristics, and
then attach plants from the database to objects in your design. It
automatically labels the object and will generate and maintain a
planting list of all the plants in the garden layout.

For more information contact:

					Terrace Software
					P.O. Box 1236
					Cambridge, MA 02238