[comp.sys.amiga] stevie

grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (10/13/88)

I just sent a copy of STEVIE (a vi-clone) to comp.sources.amiga. Both
binary and source are included. If you want a copy, send the moderators
mail and maybe we'll see a faster turn-around than 4 months. Or you could
wait for it to turn up on a fish disk (I also sent it to Fred Fish).

It is a port (with lots'a re-writing) from a version that worked on various
other machines.

It isn't perfect, but with source included you can add whatever features
that you like.

	fred

grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (02/23/89)

In article <12404@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <7052.AA7052@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>>   Are you refering to efforts on Amiga UUCP/UseNet & UUPC or simply Amiga
>>   UUCP/UseNet ?
>
>Yikes. I'm talking about the stuff I picked up off your BBS. Maybe
>we should call it ``Fred''.

No, please don't, you'll confuse it with me :-)

>>                                           a new Stevie (that can be RUN),
>
>Stevie is kinda slow, compared to avi, but avi READ.ME states it
>``can be flakey'' with files over 150K. Sigh. Perhaps the new stevie
>is faster.

Much faster. I have an even faster one in the works, but I'm not releasing
it until I've checked all the side effects of what I've done.

>Having an environment variable to select an editor is one idea
>we've tossed around.
That would be good. Easy too.

	fred

barry@eos.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (02/23/89)

[]
	Fred, I FTPd stevie3_35a from your machine, and the binary seemed
to work (quick test) on my Amiga at work, but just locked up upon
startup on my Amiga at home. I haven't investigated the problem, but it's
worth noting that the work machine still runs 1.2, but I'm using version
1.3 of the OS at home. Has anybody out there used it with a 1.3 Kickstart
and Workbench?

						Kayembee

grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (02/24/89)

In article <2702@eos.UUCP> barry@eos.UUCP (Kenn Barry) writes:
>	Fred, I FTPd stevie3_35a from your machine, and the binary seemed
>to work (quick test) on my Amiga at work, but just locked up upon
>startup on my Amiga at home. I haven't investigated the problem, but it's
>worth noting that the work machine still runs 1.2, but I'm using version
>1.3 of the OS at home. Has anybody out there used it with a 1.3 Kickstart
>and Workbench?

I use Kickstart 1.2 (in ROM) and Workbench 1.3 and I haven't had the lockup
problem so it's kinda hard for me to fix. Did you try to resize the window
STEVIE was in ? On some machines STEVIE gets confused when it first tries
to get the window size (I/O must be getting lost somewhere is my guess) and
it waits until it gets the proper window size info from the console.
Resizing the window causes this info to be sent again.

	fred

lordbah@amusing.UUCP (Jeff Van Epps) (08/09/89)

Hello world.

When I run Stevie in the background with "RUN Stevie", or when it is
invoked by the mail program from AmigaUUCP, it starts up with a window
about 60 columns wide instead of 80. Is there any way to change this
behavior?

--
Jeff Van Epps	UUCP: sun!pitstop!playroom!amusing!lordbah
		ARPA: jeffrey_j_vanepps@cup.portal.com

dfrancis@dsoft.UUCP (Dennis Heffernan) (02/28/90)

	I've had some trouble getting the STEVIE editor to work on my system.
It seems that the sucker doesn't like being told to open its own window.  I'm
running Mach II 2.5, WShell 1.2, Arexx 1.10, ARP/Kickstart 1.3 on a one meg
2000 with a GVP 25 MHz '030 board (yeah, I know, but a friend was selling it
cheap and I'm getting the memory as soon as I can afford it.)

	If you know of a better VI clone, I'm all ears, but please don't tell
me to use emacs.  I seem to have a mental block when it comes to emacs; I
can't learn it no matter how hard I try.

	Email responses are fine, thanks.

--
	--dfh	...uunet!tronsbox!dsoft!dfrancis
		"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition