[comp.sys.amiga] MSS Software

Mike.Miller@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Miller) (02/21/90)

To anyone who is interested or is having problems with gurus while
attempting to run any MSS Softwae, ie Excellence, Works Platinum,
Platinum Scibble on an Amiga 2000 equiped with an A2091 controller.  MSS
stated that when the 2091 is fully populated with memory their products
will not work on the system, they blame this on C= and stated that they
will not fix the problem, as it is C='s they did offer this little tid
bit, "before running our software, run this little basic program, POKE L
0,0 and then this will fix C='s problem"...by the way, it took two days
to get ahold of them, no one was answering the phone....Mike

Mike Miller - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!210!Mike.Miller
ARPA: Mike.Miller@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG
-------------------------------------------------|
-------------------------------------------------|

In article <119.25E527A9@afitamy.fidonet.org> Mike.Miller@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Miller) writes:
>To anyone who is interested or is having problems with gurus while
>attempting to run any MSS Softwae, ie Excellence, Works Platinum,
>Platinum Scibble on an Amiga 2000 equiped with an A2091 controller.  MSS
>stated that when the 2091 is fully populated with memory their products
>will not work on the system, they blame this on C= and stated that they
>will not fix the problem, as it is C='s they did offer this little tid
>bit, "before running our software, run this little basic program, POKE L
>0,0 and then this will fix C='s problem"...by the way, it took two days
>to get ahold of them, no one was answering the phone....Mike

>Mike Miller - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
>UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!210!Mike.Miller
>ARPA: Mike.Miller@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG
>-------------------------------------------------|

	MSS seems to have a poor concept of customer/tech support. How
long has Excellence been out without a significant upgrade? They
certainly charge enough for the product you'd expect them to support
it! As you say they are hard to reach. It might be Commodore, but even
so, they should fix their product! Giving people some poke program is
only very mildly acceptable, if that.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

DDRAKE@AUVM.BITNET (02/25/90)

I read in a posting to a local bbs that mss will have an upgrade out soon.
This is a rumour of th nth degree.

rickf@pnet01.cts.com (Rick Flower) (02/25/90)

Mike.Miller@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Miller) writes:
>To anyone who is interested or is having problems with gurus while
>attempting to run any MSS Softwae, ie Excellence, Works Platinum,
>Platinum Scibble on an Amiga 2000 equiped with an A2091 controller.  MSS
>stated that when the 2091 is fully populated with memory their products
>will not work on the system, they blame this on C= and stated that they
>will not fix the problem, as it is C='s they did offer this little tid
>bit, "before running our software, run this little basic program, POKE L
>0,0 and then this will fix C='s problem"...by the way, it took two days
>to get ahold of them, no one was answering the phone....Mike

Well, I've got a A2091 controller that I recently got and I've not had any
problems running MSS Software (I've got Excellence!).  It sounds like you've
got the card populated with memory though -- I don't have any memory in mine
yet..

>--
>Mike Miller - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
>UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!210!Mike.Miller
>ARPA: Mike.Miller@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG
>-------------------------------------------------|
>>       //     Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway         |
>>    \ //    Dayton, Ohio  (513)-252-7681        |
>>     X/               1:110/300                 |
>-------------------------------------------------|

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rickf
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rickf@nosc.mil
INET: rickf@pnet01.cts.com

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (02/25/90)

Hmmm...   unless I misremember my Basic, POKEL writes a long word to an area
of memory.  POKEL 0,0 would write zeros to memory location zero.  That sound
familiar to anybody? :)

     /************************************************************
     * Everything above is copyright me.  All rights unreserved. *
     * uunet!tronsbox!bleys         BIX: bcavanaugh              *
     * "The perversity of the universe tends to a maximum"       *
     *                              Finagle's First Law          *
     *                                 J. Pournelle              *

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (02/28/90)

If you are having a clash with MSS software and a 2091 or A590 that
means that you don't have the lastest driver software for the
2091/A590.

The old software included some debugging stuff that poked a non-zero
value into memory location 0 to catch certain programmer errors that C
programmers make every once in a while.  It doesn't hurt the 2091/A590
software (of course!  it's there to make sure that C-A didn't fall
into that programming error) but the MSS software does get effected.

So, basically this means that C-A's software is causing a problem for
programs that are not well-behaved.  But luckily C-A has an update
that doesn't include this *accidental* "feature".

-Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli       The computer industry should spend more time in front of
tlimonce@drew.uucp              their computers.  Remember when "Look & Feel"