[comp.sys.amiga] Is there NET: for AMIGA <-> UNIX??

rfrost@cs.ua.oz.au (Richard Frost) (02/22/90)

	Has the Software Distillery got around to implementing
NET: to work with a UNIX computer at the other end?? Imagine a
DIRUTIL working with UNIX's directory hierarchy!

	Would it be very hard to change the NET: source so it could run
on a Unix system, as if its not I might have a go at it.

	PS. I'd like to thank Mike Stroyan & Eric Davies for their
replies to my Amiga DOS gripes earlier on!

_          ___       | Email Address:  rfrost@spam.ua.oz.au
I)         I_        |
I\ ichard  I rost    | FidoNet (ADAM LINK BBS): 3:680/805 Richard Frost
---------------------+--------------------------------------------------------
                  THE AMIGA, the programmer's dream machine!!

Bewildered Earth Scientist: "How do you re-wire alien equipmnent like that??"
Dr. Who: "Its easy when you've had 900 years experience in alien technology."

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (02/27/90)

In article <RFROST.90Feb22134514@spam.ua.oz.au> rfrost@cs.ua.oz.au (Richard Frost) writes:

>	Has the Software Distillery got around to implementing
>NET: to work with a UNIX computer at the other end?? Imagine a
>DIRUTIL working with UNIX's directory hierarchy!

Matt Dillon has implemented an NFS device as a DNET server - this should
get you what you want.

  *****
=*|_o_o|\\=====Doug Walker, Software Distiller====== BBS: (919)471-6436 =
 *|. o.| ||
  | o  |//     Got mole problems?  Call Avogadro: 602-1023!
  ======
usenet: ...mcnc!rti!sas!walker   plink: dwalker  bix: djwalker

duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) (02/28/90)

From article <1591@sas.UUCP>, by walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker):
> In article <RFROST.90Feb22134514@spam.ua.oz.au> rfrost@cs.ua.oz.au (Richard Frost) writes:
>>
>>	Has the Software Distillery got around to implementing
>>NET: to work with a UNIX computer at the other end?? Imagine a
>>DIRUTIL working with UNIX's directory hierarchy!
>>

> Matt Dillon has implemented an NFS device as a DNET server - this should
> get you what you want.
>

>   *****
> =*|_o_o|\\=====Doug Walker, Software Distiller====== BBS: (919)471-6436 =

I have had limited success using dnet on our unisys 7000/40 tahoe
running 4.3 bsd.  Putfiles and getfiles do not work on another
login for me,  NSF will not work (Matt mentioned a bug that will
be fixed in the next release) on non 680XX based machines.  Right
now I can only use DNET as a multiwindow terminal on my amiga, no
remote (i.e. unix to amiga) capabilities.  I imagine DNET is much
more compatible with a SUN workstation runing SUN OS bsd 4.3.  (I would
love to be corrected on that last remark! )

*********    Has anyone used Ka9q NOS?  **********

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (03/01/90)

In article <2636@uwm.edu> duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:
   >now I can only use DNET as a multiwindow terminal on my amiga, no
   >remote (i.e. unix to amiga) capabilities.  I imagine DNET is much
   >more compatible with a SUN workstation runing SUN OS bsd 4.3.  (I would
   >love to be corrected on that last remark! )

Heck, I use DNET on my home-built NSC 32016 which has a byte-sex
like a VAX and opposite a 680x0.  No real problems here 'cept that
my '020 A1000 is faster, in terms of CPU, than my BSD '016 box.
Uploads to Unix are not that fast and sometimes choke @ 9600 but
download have never given me a problem.

   >*********    Has anyone used Ka9q NOS?  **********

I have it but haven't gotten around to using it.  My understanding
is that it doesn't support multiple windows.  Multiple sessions -
YES, windows - No.  Correct me if I'm wrong here.  I have tried the
earlier KA9Q (non-NOS) Amiga versions using SLIP on the above
home-brew but I do like the multiple windows of DNET.

			-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"