[comp.sys.amiga] RAD

In <6871@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, vernon@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Vernon Wheeler) writes:
>7. now you can remove youre disks from all drives and reboot using
>   CTRL AMIGA\ AMIGA the system will boot from df3: . if you loaded
>   a game it will load and run. if you want to go back to wb simply
>   install wb in a DF0: and reboot. THE game will still be there.
>   P.S. I use snakepit for this.
>TRY this then use try to use a program like mrauder to copy faire tale
>or another copy proteced disk . all I get is device not conected. I do NOT
>get copy failures because I cant start the copy.
>
>   Sorry about the length but I got responses suggesting I needed rad:
>and it had to match a disk drive. I assumed that when I said I could
>use diskcopy that that It is a must for that part. I would like to see
>a way to do this because it works well for games with a lot of disk loads
>try workbench and see how fast it loads. I made a copy of wb and modifyed
>it  to mount df3: on it's own.

Many copy programs use the extended trackdisk.device commands to do their
thing. RAD: does not have the appropriate commands.

-larry

--
Gallium Arsenide is the technology of the future;
  always has been, always will be.

vernon@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Vernon Wheeler) (02/16/90)

*	thanks to the people who have responded, but I have not receved
a good answer. I have receved one pronising sugestion if I could figure
out how to implement it.
	In revewing the answers it would seem I needed to be more percise
in describing what I have done and want to do. The first info is corect but
not complete.

old
       What I would like to do is be able to set up a ram disk called
df3: and copy a copy protected disk to df3:. I can set up the disk and
copy a nonprotected disk, this makes disk loads very fast. After playing
a game like fairy tale and waiting for disk loads can you see the advantage
of doing this. I have the ram to do it but all of my disk copy programs
refuse to recognize a ram disk called df3:. Does anyone know of one that
will 1. copy protected disks . 2. recognize a ram disk called df3: (or
any other label you would like to name.)

	Thanks for any help in advance. VERNON
new
	first I can call a ram disk many things this is defined by
an entry in the mountlist file. I did not choose rad: for the reason
it does not show up on any of my copy programs THAT WILL COPY GAMES
THAT DO HAVE COPY PROTECTION. I CAN COPY GAMES NOT PROTECTED BY USING
DISKCOPY FROM CLI OR SIMPLY DRAGING THE DISK ICON OVER THE OTHER ICON.

	(I SAID THAT DIDNT I)
I WAS SUGGESTED that would only work for games that did not take over
the system this is not true but the best use of this process. Let me go
through the steps.
1. must have proper entry in the mountlist . Devs/mountlist

                #
                /* Try rad: as df3:  */
                df3:        device = ramdrive.device
                            unit = 0
                            flags = 0
                            surfaces = 2
                            blockspertrack = 11
                            reserved = 2
                            interleave = 0
                            lowcyl = 0; highcyl = 79
                            buffers = 5
                            bufmemtype = 1
#

This came from an artical in amiga world I think I cant find it now

2. boot workbench and open shell ( you need 1.3 to support recoverable
   ram disk.)
3. mount df3: (I want to call it df3:)

4. relabel df3: name empty (or any thing. empty works )

5. use info to tell if it is there it should look like any blank disk.
   p.s. the 1.3 upgrade book says to use info before relabel in whitch
   it wont be there. It might be nessisary to format the disk if you
   dont copy in cli.

6. copy a disk to df3: using diskcopy (try any non COPY protected disk
   workbench is impresive but not that usefull.)

himacdonald@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Hamish Macdonald) (02/16/90)

In article <6871@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> Vernon Wheeler writes:
>	first I can call a ram disk many things this is defined by
>an entry in the mountlist file. I did not choose rad: for the reason
>it does not show up on any of my copy programs THAT WILL COPY GAMES
>THAT DO HAVE COPY PROTECTION. I CAN COPY GAMES NOT PROTECTED BY USING
>DISKCOPY FROM CLI OR SIMPLY DRAGING THE DISK ICON OVER THE OTHER ICON.

>TRY this then use try to use a program like mrauder to copy faire tale
>or another copy proteced disk . all I get is device not conected. I do NOT
>get copy failures because I cant start the copy.

I believe your problem is that these copy programs state 'df[0-3]:',
but when copying, they do not go through the DOS interface (i.e. the handler
you setup in your mountlist).  They assume that 'df[0-3]:' mean floppy
drives, and they either go through the 'trackdisk.device' interface, or
more likely, right to the floppy disk control hardware.

Either way, I believe you are SOL.

Hamish.
watmath!watdragon!himacdonald     himacdonald@watdragon.waterloo.edu
"Guns seldom solve any problems; they merely decide whose will shall
prevail for the time being."      - Brian Jarvis

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (02/19/90)

vernon@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Vernon Wheeler) writes:
>try to use a program like mrauder to copy faire tale or another copy
>proteced disk [ to RAD: ]. all I get is device not conected. I do NOT
>get copy failures because I cant start the copy.

Of course you don't.  Marauder manipulates the disk drive hardware directly,
and RAD: has no disk drive hardware.  You can't copy a disk using disk-based
copy protection to RAD:.  Period.
--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.usa

richard@stb.uucp (Richard Conner) (02/19/90)

Nope.  For probably most copy protected games, you are out of luck.
The way most things are copy protected is by changing special areas
"between" sectors on the physical disk.  These changes are what make
the disk unreadable by DOS.  Mounting a ram version of a disk, only
provides for the physical data "in" the sectors, not any special
sector header information like that the reside on the actual disk.

I'd say, the only disks you even remotely have a chance on are those
that use manual based copy protection AND can be copied by DOS
otherwise, the disk contains non-standard sectors, and cannot be
transferred to a RAM type disk.

-Richard
--
[ .signature   under construction - turn back before it's too late ]

poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) (02/24/90)

In article <1990Feb19.121647.9150@stb.uucp> richard@stb.uucp (Richard Conner) writes:
>Nope.  For probably most copy protected games, you are out of luck.
>The way most things are copy protected is by changing special areas
>"between" sectors on the physical disk.  These changes are what make...

There is no space "between" sectors on an Amiga floppy.  Instead of
having sectors, 11 blocks are concatenated to form a track with just
one gap between end and beginning.

I understand that a big protection mechanism these days is "long tracks",
recorded at a higher-than-normal density, that can be read but not
written by standard drives.

I apologize to the poster if I misunderstood what he said.

	Cheers,
	Charles Poirier

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (03/01/90)

[yeah, yeah.  line eater et. al.]

I think the poster is referring to the DOS area between the data
parts of the sectors.  There is some DOS space and some sync-type
marks that can be messed with resulting in 'BAD' sectors or tracks.

This type of copy protection is pretty easy to break with a good
sector editor.  I don't think it used in recent releases.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com