[comp.sys.amiga] Random Amiga/Unix topics

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Real Amiga have keyboard garages) Meyer) (03/01/90)

>> The current definition of a "minimal" amiga unix system is (roughly):
>> an '030 based amiga w/ 5Mb ram, 105Mb disk, and streaming tape.
>> Pricing and actual release configurations not available at this time.

[For those who forgot, a "minimal" AmigaDOS system is ~2.5 meg &
~25Meg of HD.]

Seems like a minimal Unix station will cost about the same as 4
minimal AmigaDOS stations. 75% of your stations is a hefty price to
pay just to get Unix. Of course, if you need Unix, you need Unix,
so you pays the price.

I hear an interesting rumor over the weekend - that the NCD X terminal
was based on the Amiga hardware. Anyone got confirmation?

While on the topic, what's the chances of CBM shipping an Amiga in an
X terminal configuration (1 floppy + enough memory to run X + software
that boots to X terminal mode)?

	Thanx,
	<mike
--
But I'll survive, no you won't catch me,		Mike Meyer
I'll resist the urge that is tempting me,		ucbvax!mwm

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (03/01/90)

In article <MWM.90Feb28145459@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@raven.pa.dec.com
(Mike Meyer) writes:
>> The current definition of a "minimal" amiga unix system is (roughly):
>> an '030 based amiga w/ 5Mb ram, 105Mb disk, and streaming tape.
>> Pricing and actual release configurations not available at this time.
>
>[For those who forgot, a "minimal" AmigaDOS system is ~2.5 meg &
>~25Meg of HD.]
>
>Seems like a minimal Unix station will cost about the same as 4
>minimal AmigaDOS stations. 75% of your stations is a hefty price to
>pay just to get Unix. Of course, if you need Unix, you need Unix,
>so you pays the price.

As I said, Ken's ``current definition'' was a little behind the times.
I could, if pressed, produce a 30meg system that could be used for C
development, but didn't have a lot of Unix cool things.

Infact, I just took a current system and removed all networking/man
pages and things and I ended up with 27meg used.  That doesn't seem to
bad since it was a fully operation R4 system (minus any trace of a
network).

Pax, Keith
--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag