[comp.sys.amiga] WP Manual Wanted

AXTBF%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Tim Friest - programmer at large) (02/26/90)

Before you condem a person for pirating, you should make sure they are guilty.
Hear at the University of Alaska Anchorage, we have a volume purchase deal with
WP Corp which lets us make X number of copies...  If the various departments
want manuals, they have to get them on their own.
WP Corp does sell the manuals seperately, contact them.
Of course, if you are pirating, you deserve all the condemnation you get...

disclaimer: My opinions are my opinions (funny how that works isn't it?)

poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) (03/02/90)

In article <12214@baldrick.udel.EDU> AXTBF%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Tim Friest - programmer at large) writes:
>Before you condem a person for pirating, you should make sure they are guilty.
>Hear at the University of Alaska Anchorage, we have a volume purchase deal with
>WP Corp which lets us make X number of copies...  If the various departments
>want manuals, they have to get them on their own.

Did UA-Anchorage spring for a sufficient quantity of manuals, or does "on
their own" in practice mean a trip to the copy machine?  Not an accusation,
just curious.

>WP Corp does sell the manuals seperately, contact them.
>Of course, if you are pirating, you deserve all the condemnation you get...

I don't recall the original querant asking to *buy* a manual, just to be sent
one.  Form your own opinion as to what this means.  Copying the manual would
be as much a copyright violation as copying the program.  Such an act would
be particularly egregious, in my view, for the very reason that WP Corp
explicitly sells the manuals as a separate product.

Having thus burned my self-imposed annual allotment of one anti-piracy posting,
I pledge to not follow up further.  Opinions herein are solely my own.

	Cheers,
	Charles Poirier

perley@trub.crd.ge.com (Donald P Perley) (03/03/90)

In article <676@xyzzy.UUCP> poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (  Poirier local) writes:
>In article <12214@baldrick.udel.EDU> AXTBF%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Tim Friest - programmer at large) writes:

>>Hear at the University of Alaska Anchorage, we have a volume purchase deal with
>>WP Corp which lets us make X number of copies...  If the various departments
>>want manuals, they have to get them on their own.

>Did UA-Anchorage spring for a sufficient quantity of manuals, or does "on
>their own" in practice mean a trip to the copy machine?  Not an accusation,
>just curious.

We have several packages here that are "site licensed" (not WP though).
If I want the program on my machine, I can get it "free", but if I want
my own copy of the manual, my department has to cough up the money from
its own budget.

For some software we can Xerox our own copies, (or print from on line
docs) but if you are doing a whole book at 5 to 10 cents a page (plus
your time and hassle when the paper feed jams) you might as well buy
it.

>>WP Corp does sell the manuals seperately, contact them.

There are also aftermarket WP manuals (not for the amiga version) maybe for
less in the local bookstores.  Most of these are probably sold to
pirates who want to get the PF key templates, but it is nice to dream that
at least some of them go to legitimate users.

>>Of course, if you are pirating, you deserve all the condemnation you get...

-don perley
perley@trub.crd.ge.com