[comp.sys.amiga] Various Things

macdonald@dickns.enet.dec.com (Paul MacDonald, CUP/ASG, 223-3439, PKO3-1/W30) (03/01/90)

Someone was looking for NET for the Amiga? You can get a copy
of Amiga NOS (network operating system) via anonymous FTP from
sayshell.umd.edu. It should have the version identifier 900214
in its filename. It's designed for amateur radio TCP/IP use, but
you can also attach ethernet, 3Comm, etc. and run it on a network.
It's been working flawlessly for me at 44.56.0.22 paul@wa1omm.ampr.org.
The archive contains all sources.

Some more news to you folks who have been asking about using the Amiga
for FAX transmission and reception. Available NOW for $299 is a product
from AEA, Inc. (206-775-7373) called AVT (Amiga Video Terminal?). It
sends and receives FAX, WEFAX, and 55 modes of slow-scan TV. The
hardware interface has connections for 5 transceivers/receivers/tape
recorders, and 1 telephone. It's all menu driven and accepts all
forms of IFF input. I believe it will transmit a color image in 12 sec.
over the telephone. Looks like a winner. Since I have nuttin' to do with
AEA, I suggest you contact them directly for more information.

LHARC is now out there with a nice intuition interface. Appears to run
much faster than the CLI version.

Regards,

Paul - WA1OMM

ammrk@swbatl.UUCP (Mike R. Kraml) (03/02/90)

In article <9002281805.AA12596@decwrl.dec.com> macdonald@dickns.enet.dec.com (Paul MacDonald, CUP/ASG, 223-3439, PKO3-1/W30) writes:

>Someone was looking for NET for the Amiga? You can get a copy
>of Amiga NOS (network operating system) via anonymous FTP from
>sayshell.umd.edu. It should have the version identifier 900214
>in its filename. It's designed for amateur radio TCP/IP use, but
>you can also attach ethernet, 3Comm, etc. and run it on a network.
>It's been working flawlessly for me at 44.56.0.22 paul@wa1omm.ampr.org.
>The archive contains all sources.

Hello: I tried to mail to you, but it bounced.  I am desperately in need of
this release of NOS (NET) for the Amiga.  I tried to ftp to the above
mentioned site, but had no luck (I am new at this ftp stuff).  Is there
anyway I can get this from you, by dialing you direct via normal telephone
lines or something.  If so, please follow up to this article or mail me
(it may bounce) indicating how I can get together with you to obtain
this program.  Thanks a lot, and look forward to hearing you.

>Some more news to you folks who have been asking about using the Amiga
>for FAX transmission and reception. Available NOW for $299 is a product
>from AEA, Inc. (206-775-7373) called AVT (Amiga Video Terminal?). It
>sends and receives FAX, WEFAX, and 55 modes of slow-scan TV. The
>hardware interface has connections for 5 transceivers/receivers/tape
>recorders, and 1 telephone. It's all menu driven and accepts all
>forms of IFF input. I believe it will transmit a color image in 12 sec.
>over the telephone. Looks like a winner. Since I have nuttin' to do with
>AEA, I suggest you contact them directly for more information.

I heard this is a great product,  I hear also that the guy who designed it
is the same guy that owns Black Belt systems, the same guy that came up
with the HAM-E adapter (not yet available).  I look forward to purchasing
one of these, the AVT that is, and if you have any experience with this
product let us know how it works in the real world.  Thanks again...

>LHARC is now out there with a nice intuition interface. Appears to run
>much faster than the CLI version.
>
>Regards,
>
>Paul - WA1OMM

Thanks Paul, 73, and cul ... Mike, WQ0N

  Mike Kraml - Manager-Separations MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (The Techies)
  UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl!slims!ammrk

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (03/02/90)

In article <9002281805.AA12596@decwrl.dec.com> macdonald@dickns.enet.dec.com (Paul MacDonald, CUP/ASG, 223-3439, PKO3-1/W30) writes:
|[...]
|LHARC is now out there with a nice intuition interface. Appears to run
|much faster than the CLI version.

	Where can I get source code for LHARC
	so I can port it to this Unix box?

Thanks,
--
  (__)	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

in <9002281805.AA12596@decwrl.dec.com> writes:

"	Someone was looking for NET for the Amiga? You can get a copy
	of Amiga NOS (network operating system) via anonymous FTP from
	sayshell.umd.edu. It should have the version identifier 900214
	in its filename. It's designed for amateur radio TCP/IP use, but
	you can also attach ethernet, 3Comm, etc. and run it on a network.
	It's been working flawlessly for me at 44.56.0.22 paul@wa1omm.ampr.org.
	The archive contains all sources.
"

For anyone else whose nameserver cannot locate sayshell.umd.edu, its IP
address is 128.8.2.88 (found in the lochosts.txt file on trantor.umd.edu)
and the contents of the pub directory on sayshell are:

ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
total 2697
-rw-r--r--  1 louie    staff     940486 Jan  5 22:42 NeXT-ntp.tar.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 louie    staff     584387 Feb  2 08:22 amiganos-900201.zoo
-rw-r--r--  1 louie    staff     594634 Feb 16 09:12 amiganos-900214.zoo
-rw-r--r--  1 louie    staff     595113 Feb 20 09:27 amiganos-900214a.zoo
drwxr-xr-x  3 louie    wheel       1024 Oct 17 12:50 ntp.3.4
226 Transfer complete.
360 bytes received in 0.40 seconds (0.88 Kbytes/sec)

ftp>

FYI, sayshell is a NeXT running Mach 1.0.  FTP transfers from sayshell (to
Silicon Valley) peak around 5 kbytes/sec.

The ``Net'' program also supports SLIP and other goodies.  The only docs
in the zoo file(s) are the comments in the source code.  The code purports
to support any serial.device on the Amiga (500/1000/2000) and the executable
``Net'' program is included in the zoo archive.  Looks like a very interesting
package!

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

bhand@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca (/user/bhand) (03/03/90)

In article <9002281805.AA12596@decwrl.dec.com> macdonald@dickns.enet.dec.com (Paul MacDonald, CUP/ASG, 223-3439, PKO3-1/W30) writes:

>Someone was looking for NET for the Amiga? You can get a copy
>of Amiga NOS (network operating system) via anonymous FTP from
>sayshell.umd.edu. It should have the version identifier 900214
>in its filename. It's designed for amateur radio TCP/IP use, but
>you can also attach ethernet, 3Comm, etc. and run it on a network.
>It's been working flawlessly for me at 44.56.0.22 paul@wa1omm.ampr.org.
>The archive contains all sources.

The latest file is amiganos-900214a.zoo ... however, I've been told these
files are beta releases only, hence a few bugs and no docs.  The internet
address of sayshell.umd.edu is 128.8.2.88.  Send email to Louis Mamakos, the
author of the amiga port, at louie@sayshell.umd.edu

One recent experience with the "latest" version was as follows:
   start ftp
   telnet some_remote_site
   ..initiate ftp from that remote site
   ..send file to your Amiga

   ..suddenly, the telnet session closes (I figured it was the remote host...
                                          it's been having a lot of problems)
   telnet another_site
   ..debugging info sent to initial cli

   ..prompt returns in the initial cli
   ..nos code unloaded, windows still open

   ..decide to save files in RAM: to df0:
   ..zig zag pattern on screen, white, black, drive light still on
   ..3 finger salute...unable to recovercedfile, 44 blocks wiped out on
     disk in df0:, 3 hours of work & backups...

I'll email off a bug report when I track it down.
BTW, much thanks to Dave, for DiskSalve.