[comp.sys.amiga] Can I de-install a floppy?

In <2623@leah.Albany.Edu>, wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) writes:
>Does anyone have a utility to de-install a floppy without disturbing
>the directories and files that are present?  (I know that "format"
>will de-install, but it also wipes out all directories and files.)
>Preferably the boot blocks should be left looking as if they came from
>"format".

Interesting idea, and one that is easy to implement. Until someone does it, you
could use DEdit or Sectorama. The only required value in sector 0 is  'DOS',0
or $444F5300, in the first longword, so you can safely put anything in the rest
of the sector. Sectorama will not allow you to update a block if it does not
have a valid checksum, but the checksum will not affect anything.

So, just go to sector 0 and use ASCII edit to put in blanks or credits or a
flame about MsDos starting at the second longword.

-larry

--
Gallium Arsenide is the technology of the future;
  always has been, always will be.

wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) (02/28/90)

Does anyone have a utility to de-install a floppy without disturbing
the directories and files that are present?  (I know that "format"
will de-install, but it also wipes out all directories and files.)
Preferably the boot blocks should be left looking as if they came from
"format".

Thanks.   -- Bill
William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA, Albany, NY 12222
wfh58@leah.albany.edu                wfh58@albnyvms.bitnet

wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) (03/01/90)

Thanks to those of you who sent me mail.  -- Bill

mrush@csuchico.edu (Matt Rush) (03/03/90)

In article <1175@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <2623@leah.Albany.Edu>, wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) writes:
>>Does anyone have a utility to de-install a floppy without disturbing
>>the directories and files that are present?  (I know that "format"
>>will de-install, but it also wipes out all directories and files.)
>>Preferably the boot blocks should be left looking as if they came from
>>"format".
>
>Interesting idea, and one that is easy to implement. Until someone does it, you

   Gee, how about just using

      INSTALL DRIVE df0: NOBOOT
                         ^^^^^^   the noboot keyword makes it a dos disk, but it
prevents you from booting from it.
   Those 1.3 guys are pretty clever, huh?

   -- Matt
   (no, I don't have a .sig -- ya wanna make something of it?  Or better yet,
    make something FOR it?)