[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga in the New York Daily News

bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) (02/28/90)

This is from the New York Daily News Tuesday Business sectionin in the
Personal Computing article...

<stuff about A1000 upgrade>

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Amiga 2000 series, it's an
icon-based computer that offers more speed, power, and even more functions
than an Apple Macintosh, for a third of the price.
In addition, Commodore is offering special deals for small businesses that
need the desktop video and desktop publishing advantages of an Amiga 2000,
but must still rely on IBM or MS-DOS (industry standard) software.
Commodore is offering a model 2000 with a built-in IBM bridge board so you
can function in the IBM-compatible world while using the special functions
of the Amiga.  This package sells for a little under $4,000.  But if you are
willing to do some of the hardware installation yourself, there are some
computer dealers who will let you assemble the bridge board and Amiga
yourself for a few hundred dollars less.

This was written (and is probably copywright) by Richard Sherwin.  YAY,
Richard!

     /************************************************************
     * Everything above is copyright me.  All rights unreserved. *
     * uunet!tronsbox!bleys         BIX: bcavanaugh              *
     * "The perversity of the universe tends to a maximum"       *
     *                              Finagle's First Law          *
     *                                 J. Pournelle              *

840445m@aucs.uucp (Alan McKay) (03/03/90)

In article <25eb3564:5354comp.sys.amiga@tronsbox.UUCP> bleys@tronsbox.UUCP (Bill Cavanaugh) writes:

>For those of you who aren't familiar with the Amiga 2000 series, it's an
>icon-based computer that offers more speed, power, and even more functions
>than an Apple Macintosh, for a third of the price.
>In addition, Commodore is offering special deals for small businesses that
>need the desktop video and desktop publishing advantages of an Amiga 2000,
>but must still rely on IBM or MS-DOS (industry standard) software.
>Commodore is offering a model 2000 with a built-in IBM bridge board so you
>can function in the IBM-compatible world while using the special functions
>of the Amiga.  This package sells for a little under $4,000.  But if you are
>willing to do some of the hardware installation yourself, there are some
>computer dealers who will let you assemble the bridge board and Amiga
>yourself for a few hundred dollars less.

Yeeeeeeee-haw!!!!  This is the kind of stuff I like to hear!  OK, so it does
say some un-true things but this time they are in our *favour*!!  It's about
time we started getting some recognition.  Keep up the good work C=!!  I can
only recall the old slogan "Ready, FIRE!  aim" and think that C= has finally
changed it to "Ready, Ready, Ready, Ready, Ready, Aim *_FIRE_*!!!"
--
+ Alan W. McKay       +  VOICE: (902) 542-1565                        +
+ Acadia University   +  "Courage my friend, it is not yet too late   +

bscott@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Ben M Scott) (03/03/90)

One of the best pieces of Amiga advertising I've ever seen was on, believe it
or not, an IBM... I was in a store one day that mostly sold IBMs, and the one
Amiga salesman took me over by a new low-end Epson VGA clone system and had me
watch a graphics demo for a while.  It was the usual stuff; converted Amiga IFFs
for still frame, some flickery block moves, and cheesy animations.  Then, to
my unbelieving eyes, a cheap color-cycled 'animation' of a waterfall appeared
on the screen, with the words proudly emblazoned across the top: "THIS IS NOT
AN AMIGA!".  I probably laughed for 10 minutes straight... I mean, they're not
kidding that it's not an Amiga!  No Amiga would be caught dead doing that.

BTW:  For those of you who would like to see this for yourselves, this month's
issue of Hernia Monthly (a.k.a. Computer Shopper) has an ad on page 53 for
Thouroughbred Microsystems, and if you look closely the left-hand system, the
20 Mhz '386, is displaying a shot from that very scene!  You almost need a
magnifying glass to see it, but the proud banner is there!

"This is NOT an Amiga!"    Wow, tell me more...

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

Gotta get me one of those cute .sig files someday... but how am I suppoed
to cram all my favorite quotes into 4 lines?