[comp.sys.amiga] supra-drive

lab@spader.UUCP (Lars Berntzon) (03/01/90)

Hello, i am about to purchase a harddisk for the A500 and i have been
looking arount a bit. One interesting drive i found was a drive called
SUPRA, a SCSI 60 Mb, 11mS drive with optionally 2 Mb ram expansion.
I've heard roumors about this drive not being so good based on some reason i
don't recall, can any one give me some ideas of what this drive is like.

    Thanks !

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (03/04/90)

In article <89@spader.UUCP> lab@spader.UUCP (Lars Berntzon) writes:
>Hello, i am about to purchase a harddisk for the A500 and i have been
>looking arount a bit. One interesting drive i found was a drive called
>SUPRA, a SCSI 60 Mb, 11mS drive with optionally 2 Mb ram expansion.
>I've heard roumors about this drive not being so good based on some reason i
>don't recall, can any one give me some ideas of what this drive is like.
>
>    Thanks !

I had a Supra controller for my 500 together with a variety of disks,
including SCSI->ST506 controllers and disks.  The setup software was nice
and they keep improving it.  It now supports SCSIdirect calls.  I got
about 200K reads (dperf2 32K buffer) on a 28ms disk.  Writes were about
60K/sec.  I was to the point were I needed more RAM and decided to get a
2000 instead of the getting the RAM card and having one more piece to sell
later.  I have had nothing but good experiences with Supra equipment.

Steve
-----
Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400