[comp.sys.amiga] A500 floppy troubles

hensley@frith.egr.msu.edu (02/15/90)

I just bought my 500 a couple of weeks ago.  Suddenly it started giving me
errors whenever I formatted a disk, or if a disk did format correctly, it
would later develop read/write errors.  At first I thought it was the cheap
disks I'd bought, but some good ones ended up the same.

So I took it back to my dealer, who diagnosed the problem as the Fatter Agnus.
The chubchip was replaced, and apparently it corrected the format problem, but
now whenever I attempt a diskcopy, the destination disk gets a verification
error.

It happens in both drives (both directions), so it pretty much has to be an
internal glitch.  How likely is it that two Agnuses in a row were bad?  What
else is a likely culprit?  Paula? I remember another tale in c.s.a. about a 500
developing drive errors -- was that the one that had a poorly seated Agnus?

Somebody help me afore I huck this contraption against the wall...

John

dave@cs.arizona.edu (David P. Schaumann) (03/04/90)

In article <6468@cps3xx.UUCP>, hensley@frith.egr.msu.edu writes:

> I just bought my 500 a couple of weeks ago.  Suddenly it started giving me
> errors whenever I formatted a disk, or if a disk did format correctly, it
> would later develop read/write errors.
>
> So I took it back to my dealer, who diagnosed the problem as the Fatter Agnus.
> The chubchip was replaced, and apparently it corrected the format problem

I have had a similar experience, but I bought my A500 on 5/1/89.  Were they
shipping the fatter Agnus back then?  Could the older Agnus cause the same
problem?

Also: if I have a disk with a bone fide read/write error, will format complain?

				Thanx, Dave.

usenet: dave@cs.arizona.edu
In reality: Dave Schaumann at U of A, Tucson, AZ