[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga needs a good music score editor/player

grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) (02/08/90)

In article <26670@cup.portal.com>, krag@cup.portal.com (Kevin Ray Grotjohn) writes:
> Comments about EA not supporting DMCS anymore, as it never went over very
> well and they have no dealings with the author anymore.
>
> They should be flamed.  The reason was that DMCS was a buggy piece of cr*p.
> If they had put the enhancements of the MAC v2.5, and kept pace with current
> amiga technology, they would have sold a lot more.  I suspect there is a big
> market for a traditional music program that uses the amiga's voices,
> especially the education market.

Quite true.  I have yet to see a decent music editor that takes full advantage
of the Amiga's sound capabilities.  Sonix is horrible as far as real score
editing is concerned, and DMCS, aside from its other flaws, never did a good
job of supporting digitized instruments.  I fail to see why some company hasn't
grabbed this opportunity already.  Anyone listening out there?

/*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*\
 | Reality: Steve Snodgrass    Cyberspace: GRX1042@UofT02.UToledo.Edu    |
 | "Let the truth of Love be lighted, let the love of Truth shine clear" |
 |                               -Rush, Hemispheres                      |
\*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (02/11/90)

[I should insert a line eater comment here but I'm too lazy today]

I also would like to see DMCS upgraded.  Are you listening, EA?  You
need smaller timing increments, fuzzy timing for jazz, ability to
switch voices on *any* note.  Better volume control(crescendo, etc.)
is a must and let me work on an interlace screen if that's possible.
Last but not least, upgrade your graphics dumps.  When printing out
two measures across, sometimes the measures are compressed to half
the page width which makes them impossible to read.  It's imtermittant.

You also need to support digitzed voices, and you need better support
of 8svx stuff.  I haven't tried the MIDI part of the program.  If I
can play my keyboard and have the data go into a song as fast as I
can play it then that would be good enough.  You should give me a
metronome for timing.

I really like the musical notation in DMCS.  It is the reason I haven't
dropped DMCS for any other program.  I play woodwinds and strings
so I am very familiar with the standard notation.  I think in it.
I don't want to learn some other non-standard notation dreamed up by
a programmer.  What worked for Bach and Beethoven is good enough for
Bourgeois!

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (02/11/90)

In article <525.25d0a06b@uoft02.utoledo.edu>, grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) writes...

>Quite true.  I have yet to see a decent music editor that takes full advantage
>of the Amiga's sound capabilities.  Sonix is horrible as far as real score
>editing is concerned, and DMCS, aside from its other flaws, never did a good
>job of supporting digitized instruments.  I fail to see why some company hasn't
>grabbed this opportunity already.  Anyone listening out there?

Yeah, SONIX sucks. It seems to be possible to get good results with it,
some of the stuff I've acquired is really good, but it takes far too
much work to get those results. And no triplets? Really now...

| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
| Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi                                     |

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (02/13/90)

On precisely this topic, I have received no *NULL* z e r o Zip! nothing in
the way of responses.  Some people don't need/want to get into MIDI yet.  Some
people want an Amiga-voice-based sound package.  Some people like to make
music with the computer's standard voices.  Some people want:

 - note durations from 1/64th to tied-whole notes with every duration
   in between (triplets/quadruplets/funky-uplets)
 - support for digitized instruments in the Sonix .instr/.ss format
 - support for digitized sounds sampled/played at any rate
 - support for Sonix synthesized instruments
 - support for improved synthesized instruments with algorythmic manipulation
   of sounds during the playback of a score
 - support for crescendos/decrescendos and arbitrary changing of each voice's
   volume/adsr envelope and levels/vibrato/portamento/etc during playback
 - support for ritards/accelerandos (i.e. tempo changes, both abrupt and
   gradual)
 - support for key changes in a score
 - support for time signature changes every measure in a score
 - support for the full octave range that the Amiga can play
 - support for tied/slurred notes and also accented notes
 - an included freely distributable player program
 - etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.

Basically some people want a real music program.  Some people have used Sonix
and/or DMCS and found them lacking many of the above features.  Some people
have even tried posting their views to comp.sys.amiga to gather support from
all the computer music lovers out there.  Some people have been disappointed
with the response.  Some people will shut up now. :-)

I don't want to be too cynical, but maybe no one with programming experience
on the Amiga is interested in making money on 'artsy' programs.  It's all
networking/connectivity solutions, the best UNIX-text-editor-look-alike,
multiple serial port cards, blahblahblah.  These are valid projects, but so
is a real music program.  Everyone has to relax sometime, right?  It would
be nice to have a full-featured music program based on the Amiga's four
voices.  (anyone with C64 experience may have seen the SID Editor and Player
software....I want something like that, but expanded up to Amiga level)

I said I was gonna shut up and I didn't...now I really will.

 __o Baird McIntosh (2nd yr CS/Math major, University of Missouri-Columbia)
__/|   c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet
  |  "CS215:Systems Analysis = legitimate CS-requisite or death by boredom?"

tbz@sactoh0.UUCP (Terry B. Zweigenbaum) (02/15/90)

Can anyone give me any info about Bars & Pipes?  I believe it is a
MIDI only music program.

#         PRIVATE             #  SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.  #
#         PARKING             #  UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0    #

rnm@well.sf.ca.us (Robert Marsanyi) (03/05/90)

It seems to me that the solution is not an "all-in-one" approach, which will
satisfy virtually nobody and, if developed, lead to the Mac situation of
large,
large, comprehensive programs that principally differ in "flavor".  I would
suggest that, on the Amiga, a more logical solution is a number of smaller
special-purpose programs, each good at what they're designed for, with the ab-
ility to communicate both by file (IFF and Midifile) and in real-time, using
message ports or something analogous to the Apple MIDI Manager.

Scoring programs that handle just scoring would be nice.  I've tried Dr. T's
The Copyist; it does a lot, but I find it near unusable in editing since it
doesn't really know much about the symbols it's manipulating.  Kind of a spe-
cialized paint program.  Output is very nice, though.

And, a plug for HMSL, a _serious_ computer music environment developed on the
Amiga and only reluctantly ported to the Macintosh.  Development continues to
be spurred by the Amiga, with the Mac playing catchup.  There really is stuff
out there ...

--rbt
robert@f24.n125.z1.fidonet.ORG     OR rnm@well.uucp