[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Scheme

auyeung@iris.ucdavis.edu (Tak [UlTech] AuYeung) (03/02/90)

I am taking the AI class and we are using T here.  T is a scheme like
language, so I thought I could run the natural language programs on
the Amiga using our Scheme (in FishDisk 149).

However, no luck.  I followed the fixes that were supposed to make
Scheme act like T, but Scheme refused to accept symbols containing
"->".  Are there other Schemes for the Ami?

Also, if I give up using Scheme, the textbook also suggests ways to
make CommonLisp behave like T.  So my next question is: how compatible
is XLisp with CommonLisp?

Thanks in advance!

--Tak
 ___   #   #    =====         How do I know if you are real or not? +--   /-+--
(__/\  #   # #    # ===\ /=== #   # >>>>> auyeung@iris.ucdavis.edu  |X/-+ /[[]]
 O/O)  #   # #    # ----|     #---# >>>>> Tak-Ying "UlTech" AuYeung +- /' |----
 \-/|  \===/ \=== # ===/ \=== #   # >>>>>  A self-conscious entity    / \ |/\'\

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (03/02/90)

In article <325@fe2o3.UUCP> rusty%fe2o3@mimsy.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) writes:
>In article <6899@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> auyeung@iris.ucdavis.edu (Tak [UlTech] AuYeung) writes:
>   >I am taking the AI class and we are using T here.  T is a scheme like
>   >language, so I thought I could run the natural language programs on
>   >the Amiga using our Scheme (in FishDisk 149).
>   >
>   >However, no luck.  I followed the fixes that were supposed to make
>   >Scheme act like T, but Scheme refused to accept symbols containing
>   >"->".
>Sounds like it's broken.

I have a couple thousand lines of code for this Scheme, and a good many
symbols containing ->.  Sounds like something is funny on your end...
By the way, though, it has many other problems, so I would still advise
getting xscheme.  (Lack of floating point support is one...does xscheme
have this??)

Just $.02 from an acknowledged SchemeDummy.

 -Chris
-----
Chris Lang    University of Michigan, College of Engineering
home: 4622 Bursley             work: National Center for Manufacturing Sciences
      Ann Arbor, MI  48109           900 Victors Way, Suite 226
      (313) 763-1832                 Ann Arbor, MI  48108
chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu          (313) 995-0300
"I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (03/03/90)

In article <6899@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> auyeung@iris.ucdavis.edu (Tak [UlTech] AuYeung) writes:
   >I am taking the AI class and we are using T here.  T is a scheme like
   >language, so I thought I could run the natural language programs on
   >the Amiga using our Scheme (in FishDisk 149).
   >
   >However, no luck.  I followed the fixes that were supposed to make
   >Scheme act like T, but Scheme refused to accept symbols containing
   >"->".
Sounds like it's broken.

   >Are there other Schemes for the Ami?

Try ftp'ing the Amiga version of XScheme I put up onto UUNET in the
amiga-sources directory.  Sources plus binaries for 68020/68881
and the normal 68000 are included.  It works the way you want, see:
(snipit insert)
		XScheme - Version 0.20 - Amiga/Manx

		> (Define a->b 60)
		a->b
		> a->b
		60

(snipit insert)

This is the version I've tinkered with to compile under Manx C (3.6).
I believe the hook were already in it for Lattice.

		Good luck!

			-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"

auyeung@iris.ucdavis.edu (Tak [UlTech] AuYeung) (03/03/90)

Thanks to all who responded!  I'll try to test Amiga Scheme to night
again and see if the port can be done.

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (03/05/90)

In article <48f6c8ac.db93@edsel.engin.umich.edu> (Chris Lang) writes:
   >By the way, though, it has many other problems, so I would still advise
   >getting xscheme.  (Lack of floating point support is one...does xscheme
   >have this??)

Yes.

		-Rusty-