[comp.sys.amiga] 2400zi not Hayes compatible? :

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (02/01/90)

In article <22546@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
$The deal is that Handshake does NOT use the serial.device, but talks to the
$CIA ports directly.  Therefore there is NO way to change the serial.device
$strings in the programs to modem0.device.  All programs that allow you
$to change the "name" of the serial device (such as A-Talk III) will
$work with the Supra 2400zi with no modifications needed.  All programs that
$use the serial.device can be "zapped" to change the approriate strings so
$that they also can work with the supra 2400zi (and other serial boards such as
$the ASDG's Dual Serial Board, a board we HIGHLY recommend).  Programs that
$taslk to the serial CIA registers directly will not work with ANY multi-serial
$card or a modem card.  Handshake was supposed to be modified to support
$multi-serial cards, but I have not seen such a version.

Marco,

No version of HandShake that I know of bangs on the CIA's directly. If
HandShake doesn't work with the Supra 2400Zi it is because they didn't
do something quite right.

After all, why would it work with the DSB (which it does) if it banged
on the CIA's directly?

pk

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

jwright@cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (02/02/90)

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) writes:
| No version of HandShake that I know of bangs on the CIA's directly. If
| HandShake doesn't work with the Supra 2400Zi it is because they didn't
| do something quite right.
|
| After all, why would it work with the DSB (which it does) if it banged
| on the CIA's directly?

I just grepped my version of HandShake for the string "serial", and found
nothing.  If this string isn't available to be replaced, and the program
doesn't ask for a device to use, it seems to me that it is hardwired for
serial.device.  Maybe I have an old version.  How does the DSB's device
get around this?

--
Jim Wright
jwright@cs.iastate.edu

In article <1098@madnix.UUCP> perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) writes:
>In article <22546@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>$The deal is that Handshake does NOT use the serial.device, but talks to the
>$CIA ports directly.  Therefore there is NO way to change the serial.device
>
>No version of HandShake that I know of bangs on the CIA's directly. If
>HandShake doesn't work with the Supra 2400Zi it is because they didn't
>do something quite right.
>
>After all, why would it work with the DSB (which it does) if it banged
>on the CIA's directly?

Perry,

I've been told that there are a variety of versions of Hanshake, some of
which will work with DSB and 2400zi's, some that won't work with them.

I've here a copy of the 2400zi manual addendum, and it states very clearly
(dated about 10 months ago) that "the Supra 2400zi does NOT work with
Handshake", and their program that "zappes" the "serial.device" string
won't work with Handshake either.

I gather some versions of Handshake either talked to the CIA directly or
did something that was not "up-to-standard", but just worked by luck with
the serial.device.

Eric Haberfellner is on BIX, so you might ask him why some version work and
some don't (I'm not on BIX anymore).

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun Kun Kim) (02/05/90)

This is really wierd.  I have a magazine with the Supra ad for this modem
and I was studying it carefully and it said it was Hayes compatible.  So,
if it is NOT, then should that be considered false advertising??  Did you
call them to check?

                                                Sun...
P.S. I almost got this modem.  Hew!

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (02/11/90)

The Supra2400Zi is Hayes Compatible.  Infact it has a more complete command set
than even the real Hayes modems.  The incompatiblity is in that it does not
use the amiga's serial.device and all programs that do not let specify what
serial device controller will have to be modified with the supra supplied util.

Handshake 2.12a Does not work with this modem because they don't use a serial
device driver, they go directly to hardware.  This problem is supposed to be
fixed soon.

It's not Supra's fault.  It's Commodores.  They didn't allow for more than one
serial device.  This is the same problem that manufacturers of multi-serial
cards are having.

Not to fret, most newer terminal programs allow one to specify the name of the
device driver for the serial port.

Handshake is the only program I know of that cannot be made to work with the
2400ZI

It's a great modem.  And since I run a bbs and do some MIDI, i like having two
serial ports, without having to buy a multi serial port card.
-------
+--------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Leon D. Shaner <LDSHANER@MTUS5> :BBS: Amiga Bitswap Center Dispatch:
| EE UNDER GRAD.                   :    (906)487-0006 <-AMIGA ONLY!   :
| MICHIGAN TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY :   FREE! - 24 HOURS - 80 MB       :
+------------------------------------+----------------------------------+

Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org (Jim Priestle) (02/12/90)

I'm kinda confussed.  If the supra has it's own device driver, where is it ( i
havve an external 2400), or is this only a internal thing.  -jim-

Jim Priestle - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!Jim.Priestle
ARPA: Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org
         //     Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway
    \ //     Dayton Ohio  (513)-252-7681
     \X/               1:110/300

In article <83.25D613A5@afitamy.fidonet.org> Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org (Jim Priestle) writes:
>I'm kinda confussed.  If the supra has it's own device driver, where is it ( i
>havve an external 2400), or is this only a internal thing.  -jim-

Yes, you're clearly confused :-) The supra device driver is only used in the
internal modem, the 2400zi.  The external modem is simply called Supra 2400
(no zi). As such it is as any other modem: it can be run off the built-in
serial port (using the CBM-provided serial.device) or off any multi-serial
card (like ASDG's DSB or Checkpoint Serial Solution, or CBM A2232).

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (02/13/90)

In article <83.25D613A5@afitamy.fidonet.org>, Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org (Jim Priestle) writes:
> I'm kinda confussed.  If the supra has it's own device driver, where is it ( i
> havve an external 2400), or is this only a internal thing.  -jim-

The device driver comes on a disk and you copy the file to
your /devs directory (the same place where the serial.device
driver is located).

Ken
--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (02/13/90)

>  Resp: 1 of 1 by *Masked* at MTUS5.BITNET
>  Date: Tue Feb 13 1990 00:41
>The Supra2400Zi is Hayes Compatible.  Infact it has a more complete command
>set
>than even the real Hayes modems.  The incompatiblity is in that it does not
>use the amiga's serial.device and all programs that do not let specify what
>serial device controller will have to be modified with the supra supplied
>util.
>
>Handshake 2.12a Does not work with this modem because they don't use a serial
>device driver, they go directly to hardware.  This problem is supposed to be
>fixed soon.
>
>It's not Supra's fault.  It's Commodores.  They didn't allow for more than one

WHAT A LOAD OF TRASH. It is >HANDSHAKES< FAULT.  Look , I will be the first
to admit that the serial device interface needs work for multi-serial cards,
but don't get carried away.

>IF< The folks that had done handshale had done it "right", the Supra
conversion program would work and all would be fine in the world.

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (02/17/90)

In article <25d7ad03:4536.2comp.sys.amiga;1@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
>WHAT A LOAD OF TRASH. It is >HANDSHAKES< FAULT.  Look , I will be the first
>to admit that the serial device interface needs work for multi-serial cards,
>but don't get carried away.
>
>>IF< The folks that had done handshale had done it "right", the Supra
>conversion program would work and all would be fine in the world.

>Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"

Imagine that, a message from HIM which contains factual errors. I'm sure
this has never happened before.

Actually, HandShake works just fine with a number of third party serial
drivers (excepting Supra's). I think you owe Eric Haberfellner an apology.

pk

--

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (02/21/90)

>  Resp: 3 of 3 by *Masked* at madnix.UUCP
>  Date: Tue Feb 20 1990 02:44
>Imagine that, a message from HIM which contains factual errors. I'm sure
>this has never happened before.

Very true ... but heh , none of us is perfect right ? speaking of facts....

>Actually, HandShake works just fine with a number of third party serial
>drivers (excepting Supra's). I think you owe Eric Haberfellner an apology.

Like ??? Which third party drivers ?? Which version of handshake allows this
???  I take my information as shown below...

>>  Resp: 1 of 1 by *Masked* at MTUS5.BITNET
>>  Date: Tue Feb 13 1990 00:41
>>Handshake 2.12a Does not work with this modem because they don't use a serial
>>device driver, they go directly to hardware.  This problem is supposed to be
>>fixed soon.

Thus , Perry , AS LISTED IN MY POST (try reading them ??) I am commenting
that , according to Leon D. Shaner Handshake 2.12a "they go directly to
hardware"... this is NOT the correct solution to the problem , and is
guarenteed to cause them a problem.

I am supposed to apologize because someone bypassed the OS ??? I doubt it.

>IF< a newer verion of handshake has abandoned this and no longer goes to
hardware then great , the above flame does not apply to the new versions.

Otherwise , enlighten me on how a thrid party driver will affect a program
that goes to hardware ????

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (03/01/90)

In article <25e176e0:4536.4comp.sys.amiga;1@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
>>>  Resp: 1 of 1 by *Masked* at MTUS5.BITNET
>>>  Date: Tue Feb 13 1990 00:41
>>>Handshake 2.12a Does not work with this modem because they don't use a serial
>>>device driver, they go directly to hardware.  This problem is supposed to be
>>>fixed soon.
>
>Thus , Perry , AS LISTED IN MY POST (try reading them ??) I am commenting
>that , according to Leon D. Shaner Handshake 2.12a "they go directly to
>hardware"... this is NOT the correct solution to the problem , and is
>guarenteed to cause them a problem.

Well, then, Leon D. Shaner is wrong. Handshake 2.12a is included on the disk
we send out with each Dual Serial Board shipped. It works just fine. It also
works on at least two other expansion serial boards/device drivers. This
being the case, I strongly doubt that it goes 'directly to hardware', or that
it's in any way Eric Haberfellner's fault that it doesn't work with Supra's
internal modem.

>I am supposed to apologize because someone bypassed the OS ??? I doubt it.

No, but perhaps you should lend less credence to unsubstantiated claims, and
not put blame on anyone based on them, in the future.

>>IF< a newer verion of handshake has abandoned this and no longer goes to
>hardware then great , the above flame does not apply to the new versions.

As far as I know, that flame does not apply to _any_ versions. I know of only
two commercial "terminal programs" which go directly to the serial hardware.
In fact, I know of NO public domain or shareware "terminal programs" which
do this, since there was a good piece of source code which showed how to
"do it right" very early in the Amiga's lifespan.

>Otherwise , enlighten me on how a thrid party driver will affect a program
>that goes to hardware ????

It won't. That's why the original Online! and BBS-PC don't work on expansion
ports. Platinum Online! does work fine, and I think BBS-PC may in a newer
version. Then we'll be rid of any "going directly to hardware" in commercial
programs, barring MIDI applications, which had good reason.

- Aaron

--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (03/02/90)

$
$Thus , Perry , AS LISTED IN MY POST (try reading them ??) I am commenting
$that , according to Leon D. Shaner Handshake 2.12a "they go directly to
$hardware"... this is NOT the correct solution to the problem , and is

I guess ASDG put HandShake V2.12A on the Dual Serial Board distribution disk
because it *doesn't* work?

$I am supposed to apologize because someone bypassed the OS ??? I doubt it.

No, you should apologize because you're a jerk. God, this is fun!
--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry
	CIS:   76004,1765 PLINK: pk-asdg

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (03/02/90)

I think what Perry, et al were trying to say (but were being too
polite to be understood :-) is that the Supra 2400zi doesn't work with
some software because it's really difficult to get the software "just
right".  They were also being very polite in trying not to say that
they put a lot of work into the software for their serial board
products; and it's a shame that Supra didn't.

("Getting it right" -- The serial.device has so many quirks and bugs
that have never been fixed, that many programs depend on them to
exist.  This makes a serial board for the Amiga hardware-simple,
software-difficult.  (HSSD?  Did I just invent a new buzzword?))

#define SILLY_MODE AWE_JUST_A_LITTLE

Perry, that's what you get for being polite.  Time to dig out a copy
of Emily Postnews :-)

#define SILLY_MODE BACK_TO_OUR_REGULARLY_SCHEDULED_INSANITY

Oh well.
-Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli       The computer industry should spend more time in front of
tlimonce@drew.uucp              their computers.  Remember when "Look & Feel"

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (03/06/90)

>  Date: Fri Mar 02 1990 19:36
>
>In article <25e176e0:4536.4comp.sys.amiga;1@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP
>(HIM) writes:
>$>>  Resp: 1 of 1 by *Masked* at MTUS5.BITNET
>$>>  Date: Tue Feb 13 1990 00:41
>$>>Handshake 2.12a Does not work with this modem because they don't use a
>serial
>$>>device driver, they go directly to hardware.  This problem is supposed to
>be
>$>>fixed soon.
>$
>$Thus , Perry , AS LISTED IN MY POST (try reading them ??) I am commenting
>$that , according to Leon D. Shaner Handshake 2.12a "they go directly to
>$hardware"... this is NOT the correct solution to the problem , and is
>
>I guess ASDG put HandShake V2.12A on the Dual Serial Board distribution disk
>because it *doesn't* work?

(The temptation to say "Hehe -- wouldn't surprise me" is almost
overwhelming, but since, as I said , ASDG (Perry aside) has never to my
knowledge shipped a bad product I wont.)

So >NOW< I get it --- it's >MY< fault the information is wrong. Fine .. as
long as I know the rules. This way I'll just take responsability for all
inacurate info on the newsgroup.

>$I am supposed to apologize because someone bypassed the OS ??? I doubt it.
>
>No, you should apologize because you're a jerk. God, this is fun!

Oh , I get it. Hmm.. ok .. but what's YOUR excuse ? (BTW -- you never did
responde to our earlier talk about your mis-conduct at computer shows/fairs
... but I guess you just had nothing to say.)

Physicists Discover Cindi Lauper Was Married to George Washington in Previous
 Life.