[comp.sys.amiga] Recommendations needed about A2500/30 as research workstation

wille@frith.egr.msu.edu (02/27/90)

I urgently need some recommendations from any of you smart people out there
regarding the use of an Amiga 2500/30 as a research workstation.  I'm
beginning a major research project at Michigan State University, and I need
to make a decision soon.  We have VIP's touring our lab quite frequently and
this would be a great oportunity to demonstrate the capabilities of the Amiga.

Here's the scenario.  I want to control and monitor a mechanical process
using an AT compatible motion controller board and data acquisition board.
I figure that with an AT bridgeboard this should be no problem.  I wish to
overlay the data obtained from the data acquisition board in the form of
text over a video image of the experimental process and record all this on
video tape.  After the experiment is completed, I want to replay the video
tape, grab frames from it, and do image analysis (possibly including 3-D
reconstruction from optically sectioned images).  The image processing will
involve, among other things, dividing one image by another in floating point.
Speed is a critical factor since I will be processing LOTS of images, and
I would like to finish before the year 2000.

I have also been looking into other machines such as a 386 or SPARCstation.
Since speed is important, I would like to know how fast the A2500/30 is
compared with other machines that I might be able to use.  Please send
any recommendations regarding this project, including alternatives I have
not thought of.  (I forgot to mention, it I use the SPARCstation I would
have to get an IBM w/ AT compatible bus to plug the peripherals into it
and try to have the SPARC and IBM talk to each other).

Thanks so much for your help.

			Jeff Wille (wille@frith.egr.msu.edu)

			<< Will Amiga make it possible? >>  Let me know!

stevem@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Steve McClure) (02/27/90)

In article <6623@cps3xx.UUCP> wille@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:
> [ text deleted ]
>Here's the scenario.  I want to control and monitor a mechanical process
>using an AT compatible motion controller board and data acquisition board.

Why bother with the AT boards here.  Won't something like the ACDA board
do the same trick for about the same price??

>Speed is a critical factor since I will be processing LOTS of images, and
>I would like to finish before the year 2000.

I guess LOTS is a critical term here, however a 2500/30 should be at least
as fast as a 386/25.

> [ inquiry for comparison between 25Mhz '030, 386, and Sparc deleted ]

I can't give you any concrete numbers here, however the '030 and 386 should
be comperable.

Steve
-----
Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM
The above are my opinions, which NCR doesn't really care about anyway!
CAUSER's Amiga BBS! | 803-796-3127 | 8pm-8am 8n1 | 300/1200/2400

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (03/01/90)

In article <2017@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM> stevem@sauron.UUCP (Steve McClure) writes:
>I can't give you any concrete numbers here, however the '030 and 386 should
>be comperable.

The '030' is, of course, a faster chip than an equivalently clocked '386.
The '486' is, of course, faster yet.

>Steve.McClure@Columbia.NCR.COM

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
"Think you can, think you can't -- either way it's true."  Henry Ford

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (03/01/90)

In article <2017@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM> stevem@sauron.UUCP (Steve McClure) writes:

>I can't give you any concrete numbers here, however the '030 and 386 should
>be comperable.

The 68020 and 80386 are comparable. Actually, the 80386 wins out slightly,
by perhaps 10 to 20 percent. The 68030 is twice as fast as the 68020, so
obviously it beats the 80386 hands down.

The 80486 is in a totally different category. At 15 Mips, it certainly would
beat the 68030 down, except for the fact that it is not ready for shipment
yet. We have all seen manufacturers actually shipping them out, however
that mere fact does not make it ready for shipment. Motorola is likely
to come out with a bug free 20 Mips 68040 before Intel irons out its last
bugs.

So where does that leave your 68000 Amiga? Well, it has about the same horse
power as an IBM AT running at the a slower clock speed. It does not have the
memory management features of the 80286, but then it has other architectural
advantages to compensate.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327

In article <9900@cbmvax.commodore.com> valentin@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>In article <2017@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM> stevem@sauron.UUCP (Steve McClure) writes:

>>I can't give you any concrete numbers here, however the '030 and 386 should
>>be comperable.

>The 80486 is in a totally different category. At 15 Mips, it certainly would
>beat the 68030 down, except for the fact that it is not ready for shipment
>yet.

Interestingly enough, the 80486 does win.  But probably not by as much as
Intel would have the world believe.  Personal Workstation magazine (nee MIPS)
did benchmarks recently on HP's 50MHz '030 system.  At integer benchmarks,
they beat out every 25MHz '486 yet tested.  The '486 always wins at floating
point over the 40MHz '882.  So you can, if you like, say that a '486 is
roughly twice as fast as a 68030.

Another thing that's interesting, though, is the effect of these very big
on-chip caches, for both the 80486 and the 68040.  You'll find lots of
performance difference between 68030 systems running at the same clock
speed; it's relatively difficult to build a 68030 system that keeps up
with the 68030 at any given clock speed (I mentioned HP because they seem
to build the best ones, albeit at workstation prices).  You'll see much
less difference between different vendors of '486 and '040 systems.

>Motorola is likely to come out with a bug free 20 Mips 68040 before Intel
>irons out its last bugs.

That's debatable; the '486 does have a significant time-frame lead on the
'040.  I'd be really surprised to see the 68040 hit today's 80486 volumes
with any bugs, though.  Motorola has been traditionally very good with this.
Even back in the '030 days, when I had some very fresh 25MHz parts with no
markings on them, with a note saying "room temperature only", we didn't run
into any bugs.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (03/02/90)

In article <22494@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (David C. Navas) writes:

>The '030' is, of course, a faster chip than an equivalently clocked '386.
>The '486' is, of course, faster yet.
>
>David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu

   This seems to be a widespread myth among Motorola product users.
MIPS magazine (now Personal Workstations) has tested a wide variety of
'386 machines and a few '030 machines, and the '386 machines always
come out slightly on top (and in computing power/$ they come out way
on top (of course MIPS has never tested an A2500/30)).

   However, if Motorola's info is accurate, the '040 is faster than an
equivalently clocked '486.

   Jim

hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) (03/02/90)

In article <9903@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

> In article <9900@cbmvax.commodore.com> valentin@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) writes:

> Interestingly enough, the 80486 does win.  But probably not by as much as
> Intel would have the world believe.  Personal Workstation magazine (nee MIPS)
> did benchmarks recently on HP's 50MHz '030 system.  At integer benchmarks,
> they beat out every 25MHz '486 yet tested.  The '486 always wins at floating
> point over the 40MHz '882.  So you can, if you like, say that a '486 is
> roughly twice as fast as a 68030.
>

> >Valentin

I thought I should post some info from Inforworld, January 22, 1990:
(Note: I am not disagreeing or agreeing with anyone. It's all FYI.)

The performances below are at 25 MHz

		MC68040		Sun Sparc		i80486
		-------		---------		------
		20 mips		18 mips			15 mips
		3.5 mflops	1.2 mflops		1 mflops
		$795		$1,735			$950
# Chips		one		>five			one

mark
 hubey@pilot.njin.net  |  hubey@apollo.montclair.edu | ...!rutgers!njin!hubey

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (03/02/90)

In article <50518@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> jac@muslix.llnl.gov.UUCP (James Crotinger) writes:
>In article <22494@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (David C. Navas) writes:
>>The '030' is, of course, a faster chip than an equivalently clocked '386.
>>The '486' is, of course, faster yet.
>>David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
>
>   This seems to be a widespread myth among Motorola product users.
>MIPS magazine (now Personal Workstations) has tested a wide variety of
>'386 machines and a few '030 machines, and the '386 machines always
>come out slightly on top (and in computing power/$ they come out way
>on top (of course MIPS has never tested an A2500/30)).

Okay, I will :)

>   However, if Motorola's info is accurate, the '040 is faster than an
>equivalently clocked '486.

If Motorola's info is accurate, the 68030 beats the 80386 [as far as I know]
From May 1989 Sentry:

	Amiga2000 with A3001 -- Dhrystones/sec = 7273   [25Mhz]
	Compaq 386           -- Dhrystones/sec = 5705   [20MHz]
	Correcting for speed difference, that's  7173

The June 1988 of BYTE says they tested 386 machines anywhere from 1724--9436
Dhrystones/sec.  Obviously this is compiler sensitive testing!

And if you are interested in more Apples/Oranges testing:
	Turbo-Amiga [68020 @ 14.32MHz] runs the Sieve on a 40000byte array in
			2.32 seconds.
	The Amiga does it in 11.5 seconds
	The IBM AT        in 99.71 seconds!!!  [Their 32K limit problems...]

Even More!::  Turbo-Amiga at 14MHz beats up on Macs:

	Slowest quote of Turbo-Amiga on Sieve:  14.7  [compiled Lattice, long ints]
	Mac SE/prodigy @ 16MHz			14.8
	Mac II	       @ 15.67MHz               16.7  [all in seconds, folks...]

Disclaimer: I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing: all I know is that some
people were asking for numbers.  This is by no means a conclusive end to the
on-going argument of Intel/Motorola debate.

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
"Think you can, think you can't -- either way it's true."  Henry Ford

boss@sunspot.noao.edu (Steve Keil) (03/03/90)

Just a brief note on using an Amiga as a workstation.  We have an Amiga
2000 with a Hurricane board running a 68030/68882 with 4MB of 32bit
memory that we are using as both a workstation attached via ethernet to
a Sun 4/280 and as a video workstation.  The amiga is often used as a
4010 emulator to capture plots that are later incorporated into
viewgraphs for scientific and "sales" presentations/publications.
Hardcopy is made via a Xerox 4020 printer or a Tektonics 4693D printer
or often by just photographing the amiga screen (Zenith flat screen).
The system contains a Flicker Fixer to drive the flat screen.  The other
major use of the amiga is to produce video tapes of data that have
usually been processed on the Sun.  The Sun disks are mounted on the
amiga via ethernet and are read directly by C-programs written for the
amiga.  Typically, a time sequence of 2-d images of a solar flare or
some solar velocity field is loaded into the 32 bit memory directly
from the sun disk. Byte arrays (8bits) on the Sun are displayed by
taking either the highest 4 or 5 bits and stuffing them into fast
memory on the amiga.  Hunks of fast memory are then blittered to chip
memory sequentially to show the movie.  A Vidtech genlock is used to
write the movie to video tape or optical disk.  These tapes have been
used at presentation as several American Astronomical Society meetings
and, if color tables are chosen carefully can be of very high quality.
Headers describing the movie sequences have been produced using the
Director, Dpaint+slideshow, Deluxe Video and Video Titler programs.
I have also used the system to produce nice color viewgraphs for
presenting our work at program reviews.  Work that used to take many
days and interations through the photolab now takes just a few hours on
the amiga.  Finally, the system has a 80MB GVP hard disk that is used
primarily for program storage since data can be kept on the Sun hard disks.
We have been very satisfied with the amiga system.  Costs were:

	Amiga 2000 computer -                   $1581
    Ronin Hurricane 68030/68882 -           $4627
	GVP Impace HC/80R -                     $1378
	Zentih Flat Screen -                     $700
	VidTech Scanlock Model VSL-1-N           $995
    External Power for VidTech -              $55
	Commodor 3.5 floppy -                    $148
    Ameristar Ethernet Card - 			     $809
    Micro Way Flicker Fixer -                $596
	Total -                                $10889

Note that almost everything was purchased through a local dealer (New
Horizons Computers in Alamogordo, New Mexico, so you could probably do
better on prices.  However, they did an excellent job setting up the
system and service has been good.  In addition, we purchased close to
$1500 worth of manuals and software.  I am willing to make the C-code
used for movie display available to anyone who is interested.

Hope this information is of use to anyone thinking about a workstation.
Note that we have not yet taken advantage of having the 68882 present in
the system..... but I have plans :-).

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (03/05/90)

>   This seems to be a widespread myth among Motorola product users.
>MIPS magazine (now Personal Workstations) has tested a wide variety of
>'386 machines and a few '030 machines, and the '386 machines always
>come out slightly on top (and in computing power/$ they come out way
>on top (of course MIPS has never tested an A2500/30)).
>
>   However, if Motorola's info is accurate, the '040 is faster than an
>equivalently clocked '486.
>
>   Jim
> James Crotinger     comp.sys.amiga@      3/01/90*Recommendations needed about

MIPS = Meaningless Information from Pushy Salesmen

Seriously though, I was under the impression that MIPS is realy only meant
to be used to bench processors of single family.  There is no direct
correlation between the number of instructions executed and the work done.
And, the instructions are not constant from processor to processor.

|Dennis Gorrie                 'Chain-Saw Tag...                        |
|GORRIEDE AT UREGINA1.BITNET                    Try It, You'll Like It!'|

In article <50518@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> jac@muslix.llnl.gov.UUCP (James Crotinger) writes:
>In article <22494@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (David C. Navas) writes:

>>The '030' is, of course, a faster chip than an equivalently clocked '386.
>>The '486' is, of course, faster yet.
>>David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu

>   This seems to be a widespread myth among Motorola product users.
>MIPS magazine (now Personal Workstations) has tested a wide variety of
>'386 machines and a few '030 machines, and the '386 machines always
>come out slightly on top (and in computing power/$ they come out way
>on top (of course MIPS has never tested an A2500/30)).

Hmm, I read the same magazine, and seem to hear something different.  You sure
you aren't reading through blue-tinted glasses?  I'm not going to suggest one
compare a Mac against the latest 33MHz '386 machine with scads of external
cache.  But comparing some of the better '030 machines (HPs, Apollos, and the
occasional Sony), the '030 machines have always come out on top running similar
software.  It's a close test, and if you run one of these '386 program launchers
on a '386 with Dhrystone or some other cache-sized benchmark, you get a bit
better performance than an '030 machine under UNIX.  Or, for that matter, a
'386 machine under UNIX.  But for the AIM benchmarks, UNIX vs. UNIX, etc. the
'040 machines come out ahead.  In fact, a recent issue has a 50MHz HP '030
machines outperforming all tested '486 machines on equivalent integer
benchmarks.  The '486 did win on the floating point, but I wouldn't have
expected any '030 to have much of a chance.

>   However, if Motorola's info is accurate, the '040 is faster than an
>equivalently clocked '486.

It's always dependent on the system design.  Only, with these newer chips, the
system design matters less, since you've got more % of performance based only
on chip design, thanks to on-chip floating point and large on-chip caches.

One thing in the favor of '386 machines is that competition has forced
manufacturers to build better '386 machines at lower prices than similar
'030 machines.  The HP and Apollo machines carry Workstation prices.  Even
the NeXT and Mac IIci aren't cheap, and of those two, they're both quite
moderate designs -- you can get '386 machines at 33MHz with external cache
for the $8-$10k or so you'll pay for either of these '030 boxes.  You will
generally have to spend a few hundered extra to put a math chip in your
'386 (nearly every '020 or '030 system comes with one).

--

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (03/06/90)

In article <9003041700.AA10475@jade.berkeley.edu> GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:
>MIPS = Meaningless Information from Pushy Salesmen
>
>Seriously though, I was under the impression that MIPS is realy only meant
>to be used to bench processors of single family.  There is no direct
>correlation between the number of instructions executed and the work done.
>And, the instructions are not constant from processor to processor.

  MIPS = a computer magazine now know as Personal Workstation. They have
done a wide range of benchmarks on a variety of machines. This include
a set of multitasking benchmarks calle the AIM Suite which attempts to
measure performance of real-life applications of various types under
various loads. For instance, typical dhrystone-2 performance for
20-25 MHz '386 machines under Xenix seems to be 5000-9000 and for the
AIM benchmarks in Software-Development/Engineering-Scientific they seem to
be in the 300-400/200-300 range. Sun's 3/80 only did 4461 dhrystones
and only scored 646/609 on the avg. AIM scores. (The Sparcstation 1 did
20,000 and 185/120 and the Sun 386i did 8265 and 452/240). I think the
only '030 machine that has even been competitive with the hordes of '386
machines is the HP-370 (and now the 375). The 370 has a 33 MHz '030
and did 13,391 dhrystones and 158/126 on the AIM averages. This edges
out the Everex Step 386/33 which did 12,275 and 213/169 (under Xenix;
it did 17,105 dhrystones under DOS). So, it's not clear that the '030
is inherently slower. But it does seem that the '030 systems on the
market right now tend to be slower than the majority of the '386 machines.

>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|Dennis Gorrie                 'Chain-Saw Tag...                        |
>|GORRIEDE AT UREGINA1.BITNET                    Try It, You'll Like It!'|
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

  Jim

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (03/06/90)

  Well, I'm certainly not wearing blue colored glasses. I'd use a
Mac first (shudder 8-).

  Perhaps my memory is failing me, but I thought I recalled that only
the HP 370 performed at a level comparable with the same clockspeed
'386 machines.

  Personally, I'll keep my SparcStation, thank you 8-).

  Jim

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) (03/06/90)

[ Gobs of Info on Machine Speeds ]

You guys are really starting to sound like kids comparing who has the
best set of toys...

(Sorry, Just couldn't resist...)

Alex C. Liu                   | INTERNET: acliu%skat@usc.edu
Voice: (213) 749-2730         | BITNET: acliu%skat@gamera
Q-Link: Alejandro             | UUCP: ...!usc!edu

bscott@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Ben M Scott) (03/06/90)

In article <23263@usc.edu> acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) writes:
>[ Gobs of Info on Machine Speeds ]
>
>You guys are really starting to sound like kids comparing who has the
>best set of toys...

That's exactly what we are; do you think we actually get any WORK done on these
fun gadgets?

Actually there is a point to this message:  I just wanted to tell the 50% of
those who have sent me mail (the ones that haven't gotten replies) that I'm
sorry but I DID try.... I can't seem to get the hang of mail routing, and let
me tell you those bounced messages get old after a while.

Anyway, since a major portion of them were concerning my comments on PALboot,
asking me to send it to them, AND since it'll only take three lines, I'm
going to post it here.

PALboot is a program that allows Amigas with the Super Agnus and 1.3 ROM to run
in PAL mode, even on a normal NTSC 1084.  This gives a 25% boost in resolution
with virtually no extra system overhead.

begin 644 PALboot
7HG(@+'@``DOY``-!($YP3M5.<0```_((?
``
end
size 68

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

|  Someday, I'm going to make up a clever .sig file like everyone else has... |