[comp.sys.amiga] Using Telebit TrailBlazer modems with AmigaUUCP

wmp@wperkins.UUCP (William M. Perkins) (03/05/90)

         Anybody out there tried running AmigaUUCP software, like Matt
Dillon's version 1.03D, with a Telebit TrailBlazer Plus modem using PEP?
I am trying to reduce the time my newsfeed spends connected to me, so that
I can increase the size of the feed (add more newsgroups) to my system.
If I could get it to work at 9600 BPS, that would be good.  If I could
get it to work it 18,000 BPS, that would be BETTER!

     Bill

---
William M. Perkins                Of course we run UUCP on an Amiga!
The Greenwood                     Usenet  -    wmp@wperkins.UUCP
+1 703 590 0207                     or    - ...!uunet!pyrdc!wperkins!wmp

scotth@corp.sgi.com (Scott Henry) (03/07/90)

In article <0855.AA0855@wperkins> wmp@wperkins.UUCP (William M. Perkins) writes:

>          Anybody out there tried running AmigaUUCP software, like Matt
> Dillon's version 1.03D, with a Telebit TrailBlazer Plus modem using PEP?
> I am trying to reduce the time my newsfeed spends connected to me, so that
> I can increase the size of the feed (add more newsgroups) to my system.
> If I could get it to work at 9600 BPS, that would be good.  If I could
> get it to work it 18,000 BPS, that would be BETTER!

One of the great improvements (IMHO) that Matt Dillon did to the Amiga
UUCP software is to fix the protocol so that it works with with Telebit
modems using UUCP-spoofing in PEP mode. I have a T1000 (9600bps PEP) on my
Amiga talking to a TB+ (at 19200bps) and I get very good throughput
downloading. According to /usr/spool/uucp/.Admin/xferstats on the sending
system (an Iris 4D/70GT if it matters), I get over 900 bytes/sec for large
files (over 10kB).  I was getting about 75cps (PEP) and 180cps (2400) with
the older (v 0.5?) UUCP which wouldn't work with UUCP spoofing.
--
 Scott Henry <scotth@sgi.com> | These are my   | Tardis Express -- when it
 Information Services,        | Opinions only! | absolutely, positively