[comp.sys.amiga] rs1&2 on xanth??

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (03/05/90)

BEFORE I flame somebody for posting 2.6 megabytes of useless garbage,
would somebody tell me what exactly I'm doing wrong?  I just spent >6
hours downloading the rs1 and rs2 .wrp's from xanth, and while they both
boot, they both seem to end up hanging my input task, and then dying.
[I assume that's what's dead when the CAPS LOCK no longer responds... :|]

I tried running PalBoot on it -- but they aren't regular disks...  Then
I tried running it on a straight 500/1 meg Agnus, no doing.  I would have
thought that some combination thereof would have worked.

#define FUSION FLAME
If somebody from the other side of the Atlantic is going to send stuff over
here, can they make sure it works on our machines first?

This is a matter of common courtesy, I know we do it, I'm sure you've done
it to us, but I'd like to avoid 6 hour downloads in the future.
If this is intentional on somebody else's part -- may their gluons come all
undone, and their quarks flung to opposite sides of the Universe.
#undefine FUSION FLAME

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth. :(

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
"Think you can, think you can't -- either way it's true."  Henry Ford

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (03/07/90)

In article <22608@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) writes:
> BEFORE I flame somebody for posting 2.6 megabytes of useless garbage,
> would somebody tell me what exactly I'm doing wrong?  I just spent >6
> hours downloading the rs1 and rs2 .wrp's from xanth, and while they both
> boot, they both seem to end up hanging my input task, and then dying.
> [I assume that's what's dead when the CAPS LOCK no longer responds... :|]

(Note that it wasn't posted, but was ftp'ed to xanth's incoming/amiga area).

I used the NFS handler of DNet (still too cool) to UnWarp them and
they worked for me, but not without problems.  In particular, I had to
eject/replace the disk several times to make it finish loading parts
of the demo.  The disk reading routine seems to have some trouble.
However, if you do get it to work all the way through (I particularly
liked the way it asks for the second disk), it's a lot of fun.

> If somebody from the other side of the Atlantic is going to send
> stuff over here, can they make sure it works on our machines first?
> This is a matter of common courtesy, I know we do it, I'm sure
> you've done it to us, but I'd like to avoid 6 hour downloads in the
> future.

Kinda knee-jerk, huh?  He uploaded it as a courtesy, and did test it
on his machine first.  Short of actually coming over here and running
on someone's machine here, what would you have him do?  Just not upload it?
(He's also provided several other demos, all which worked, so he has a
good track record).

Anyway, you took it from incoming/amiga, a use-at-your-own-risk area...
	...tad

rfrost@cs.ua.oz.au (Richard Frost) (03/08/90)

In the article where Tad Guy writes:
	I used the NFS handler of DNet (still too cool) ....

Please explain HOW to use the NFS handler as I COULD NOT FIND ANY DOCS
ON IT!!!!!!!!

I posted an article earlier that asked if there was a NET: that worked
for an Amiga and Unix and was pointed towards the NFS handler. I checked
it out but still I don't know what to do.
_          ___       | Email Address:  rfrost@spam.ua.oz.au
I)         I_        |
I\ ichard  I rost    | FidoNet (ADAM LINK BBS): 3:680/805 Richard Frost
                  THE AMIGA, the programmer's dream machine!!

Bewildered Earth Scientist: "How do you re-wire alien equipmnent like that??"
Dr. Who: "Its easy when you've had 900 years experience in alien technology."