[comp.sys.amiga] Animation Jorneyman

dak@pro-graphics.cts.com (DAK Productions) (03/07/90)

Here is some more info from the article I mentioned in an earlier post....

>From February 1990 VideoSystems, by Steven Cummings, RGB Computer & Video
Creation, Fla.-

"....On the horizon is a 3-D charactor animation package, which, by any
standard, must be called revolutionary. Called Animation Journeyman, it was
designed to create animated sequences of organic objects, using organic
motion. The 3-D segments that make up a charactor are not constructed of
triangles or squares as are most 3-D objects. Instead they are made up of
topological contours....bump-texture mapping and image mapping are..projected
onto the object..eliminat(ing) texture distortion associated with...wrapping
flat-texture planes onto complex forms. Add.. paint freehand on a 3-D
object...."

The article goes on to describe the motion method which is pretty niffty also.
BUT the big questions are; when and how much$?
If anyone else has more info please let us know!!

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!dak             |    ProLine: dak@pro-graphics
InterNet: crash!dak@pro-graphics.cts.com     |    201/469-0049   3/12/2400 Baud
ARPA/DDN: crash!pro-graphics!dak@nosc.mil    |    24 Hrs.        Piscataway, NJ

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (scott sutherland) (03/08/90)

	****HERE IS SOME INFO ON JOURNEYMAN, SENT TO ME BY KEN BAER.****

In article <1756@crash.cts.com> dak@pro-graphics.cts.com (DAK Productions) writes:
>Here is some more info from the article I mentioned in an earlier post....
>
>>From February 1990 VideoSystems, by Steven Cummings, RGB Computer & Video
>Creation, Fla.-
>
>"....On the horizon is a 3-D charactor animation package, which, by any
>standard, must be called revolutionary. Called Animation Journeyman, it was
>
>The article goes on to describe the motion method which is pretty niffty also.
>BUT the big questions are; when and how much$?
>If anyone else has more info please let us know!!

	This was emailed to me as a response to my question on the same subject
in November of 1989.  This response is from Ken Baer, who is at HASH
Enterprises, the company who makes the product.

Information on Journeyman from HASH Enterprises:

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 10:42:48
To: sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: What is best 24bit 3d Anim system under $12,000

Journeyman is the next generation of character animation software we're
working on.  Apprentice came out almost 3 years ago, and introduced a lot
of breakthroughs, character classes, reusable actions, subfigures
(the ability to have separate actions for a face, hands and body at the same
time, for example).  It's very powerful, but it has some limitations.
The main one being that the way the objects are modeled (3D voxels, not
polygons) you can't get close to the object, and the edges aren't smooth.
Journeyman uses 3D cubic splines to build objects (still not polygons).
That way, you can still have smooth, organic looking objects, and they don't
break up when you get the camera close to them.
   Jman also uses a world environment, rather than the stage analogy we
used in Apprentice.  Object and camera paths are now also splines rather
than vectors.  In addition, we now use channel graphs for things like
motion, roll, tilt, ease, etc.  This gives you even finer control over motion
than you can get on a Wavefront.  Take my word for it, this is a very
advanced program, it leaves Sculpt4D and Caligari far behind.  And, unlike
Apprentice, the interface is very interactive.  So, we're using what we've
learned with Apprentice, and are adding a whole new level of sophistication
to it.
   We don't have any literature on this yet, it's a little early.  We don't
like to pre-hype too much, we don't need a vaporware reputation.  But, it's
about to go into Beta testing.  We may have a late Beta version available
for people who can't wait, they would then get the real version when it
comes out.  It will be priced at $500.
   Hope this helps.  If you have specific questions, feel free to ask me.
	-Ken Baer.
	Hash Enterprises.
	2800 E. Evergreen Blvd.
	Vancouver, WA  98661